Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
User avatar
Stu
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 23 times

Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#1

Post by Stu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am

Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.
BUT my question is, is it sinful to take part in a game where there is magic, spells, etc. involved?

Obviously I don't buy into any of the ideas and treat it merely as a game kinda like watching a Lord of the Rings, Superman or Star Wars movie, or playing TV games that have a magic theme to them I guess.

Thoughts?

If you're unaware of what MTG is, look here.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20095
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 982 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#2

Post by RickD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:09 am

If you're going to play an "evil" game, why not play Pokémon Go? At least you can get some exercise.

I used to think it was a waste of time, until I went to a park with my son who plays. I noticed probably dozens, maybe a hundred people walking around, playing. If not for exercise from Pokémon Go, most of these fat people probably wouldn't be getting any exercise at all.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Stu
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#3

Post by Stu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 am

RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:09 am
If you're going to play an "evil" game, why not play Pokémon Go? At least you can get some exercise.

I used to think it was a waste of time, until I went to a park with my son who plays. I noticed probably dozens, maybe a hundred people walking around, playing. If not for exercise from Pokémon Go, most of these fat people probably wouldn't be getting any exercise at all.
Nah I like the feel of the cards in your hand. Old school gaming. I get enough electronic gaming, so want something different.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20095
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 982 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#4

Post by RickD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:37 am

Stu wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 am
RickD wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:09 am
If you're going to play an "evil" game, why not play Pokémon Go? At least you can get some exercise.

I used to think it was a waste of time, until I went to a park with my son who plays. I noticed probably dozens, maybe a hundred people walking around, playing. If not for exercise from Pokémon Go, most of these fat people probably wouldn't be getting any exercise at all.
Nah I like the feel of the cards in your hand. Old school gaming. I get enough electronic gaming, so want something different.
In that case, I recommend you stick to UNO. Just don't make the mistake that I made, by playing UNO with a bunch of Mexicans. They kept stealing all the green cards.
These users liked this post by RickD:
Stu (Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:41 am)
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1321
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#5

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am
Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.
BUT my question is, is it sinful to take part in a game where there is magic, spells, etc. involved?

Obviously I don't buy into any of the ideas and treat it merely as a game kinda like watching a Lord of the Rings, Superman or Star Wars movie, or playing TV games that have a magic theme to them I guess.

Thoughts?

If you're unaware of what MTG is, look here.
I've heard about this a decade ago while I saw an ad for it in my Sorry boardgame. Still have it too but aint played it in years.
If you see MTG in that way, then I would assume it's ok, as your not getting into it too much. Are there any legit occult practices in it? I don't think there is.

User avatar
Stu
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#6

Post by Stu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 am

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Stu wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am
Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.
BUT my question is, is it sinful to take part in a game where there is magic, spells, etc. involved?

Obviously I don't buy into any of the ideas and treat it merely as a game kinda like watching a Lord of the Rings, Superman or Star Wars movie, or playing TV games that have a magic theme to them I guess.

Thoughts?

If you're unaware of what MTG is, look here.
I've heard about this a decade ago while I saw an ad for it in my Sorry boardgame. Still have it too but aint played it in years.
If you see MTG in that way, then I would assume it's ok, as your not getting into it too much. Are there any legit occult practices in it? I don't think there is.
Not sure actually, I know there are spells.

But anyway, I've decided against it, I don't think the Lord would want us surrounding ourselves with darkness, especially if you get very involved and play on a constant basis. I actually like card collecting though, so it will save me a ton of money as I wouldn't be able to resist just one more booster pack or even box :). Magic eats up money this way, so will be saving in the long run.

I'll stick with playing cards for poker, etc. and board games.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20095
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 982 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#7

Post by RickD » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:54 am

Stu wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 am
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Stu wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am
Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.
BUT my question is, is it sinful to take part in a game where there is magic, spells, etc. involved?

Obviously I don't buy into any of the ideas and treat it merely as a game kinda like watching a Lord of the Rings, Superman or Star Wars movie, or playing TV games that have a magic theme to them I guess.

Thoughts?

If you're unaware of what MTG is, look here.
I've heard about this a decade ago while I saw an ad for it in my Sorry boardgame. Still have it too but aint played it in years.
If you see MTG in that way, then I would assume it's ok, as your not getting into it too much. Are there any legit occult practices in it? I don't think there is.
Not sure actually, I know there are spells.

But anyway, I've decided against it, I don't think the Lord would want us surrounding ourselves with darkness, especially if you get very involved and play on a constant basis. I actually like card collecting though, so it will save me a ton of money as I wouldn't be able to resist just one more booster pack or even box :). Magic eats up money this way, so will be saving in the long run.

I'll stick with playing cards for poker, etc. and board games.
I agree. Stay away from the darkness of the magic card games, and stick to gambling in poker.

:lol:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Stu
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#8

Post by Stu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:23 am

RickD wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:54 am
Stu wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 am
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Stu wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am
Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.
BUT my question is, is it sinful to take part in a game where there is magic, spells, etc. involved?

Obviously I don't buy into any of the ideas and treat it merely as a game kinda like watching a Lord of the Rings, Superman or Star Wars movie, or playing TV games that have a magic theme to them I guess.

Thoughts?

If you're unaware of what MTG is, look here.
I've heard about this a decade ago while I saw an ad for it in my Sorry boardgame. Still have it too but aint played it in years.
If you see MTG in that way, then I would assume it's ok, as your not getting into it too much. Are there any legit occult practices in it? I don't think there is.
Not sure actually, I know there are spells.

But anyway, I've decided against it, I don't think the Lord would want us surrounding ourselves with darkness, especially if you get very involved and play on a constant basis. I actually like card collecting though, so it will save me a ton of money as I wouldn't be able to resist just one more booster pack or even box :). Magic eats up money this way, so will be saving in the long run.

I'll stick with playing cards for poker, etc. and board games.
I agree. Stay away from the darkness of the magic card games, and stick to gambling in poker.

:lol:
Hey at least I'm not casting spells and summoning creatures! And am instead playing for pretend money in poker. Maybe I should play a game for real money just to see how it goes.

On a serious note though, what does the Bible say about gambling for real money?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20095
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 982 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#9

Post by RickD » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Stu wrote:
Hey at least I'm not casting spells and summoning creatures! And am instead playing for pretend money in poker. Maybe I should play a game for real money just to see how it goes.

On a serious note though, what does the Bible say about gambling for real money?
I'm not aware of anything in the Bible about that type of gambling. My opinion would be that it's left up to the individual believer, and his/her conscience.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 552 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#10

Post by Philip » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Many people gambling desire quick money without truly working for it - is that good? Is that something we should desire? And many gamblers are willing to risk money they really can't afford to lose to make hoped-for easy money. And many of them are risking - and often foolishly losing - money that is needed to take care of their kids and families. And when they WIN? Often the same thing is happening to the ones who have lost to produce their win - as it's made others lose money they and their families needed. Of course, we can't overlook the addiction of gambling, going into debt, etc. Basically, it's throwing away precious money that is being risked with, typically, low odds of winning. But wherever there are winners, the habit produces losers. I can't see that a Christian can see this as a endeavor they should be involved in. Now, a friendly wager for low stakes, a raffle or whatever - when a person knows they will likely lose and it's no big deal and not habitual - guess that can be different.
These users liked this post by Philip:
claysmithr (Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:18 am)

claysmithr
Established Member
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:07 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#11

Post by claysmithr » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:38 am

Gambling with money is a very bad idea from the Christian viewpoint, it's the opposite of being a wise steward. I'd argue that Magic: The Gathering is less harmful because money isn't involved, but I wouldn't feel good about playing Magic either.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20095
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 982 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#12

Post by RickD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:50 am

claysmithr wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:38 am
Gambling with money is a very bad idea from the Christian viewpoint, it's the opposite of being a wise steward. I'd argue that Magic: The Gathering is less harmful because money isn't involved, but I wouldn't feel good about playing Magic either.
So, from a Christian viewpoint, 401k accounts, other retirement accounts, buying real estate, etc., are very bad ideas?

What about the poker player who is very good at what he does? The one who can make a good living by being good at poker?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 552 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#13

Post by Philip » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Rick: So, from a Christian viewpoint, 401k accounts, other retirement accounts, buying real estate, etc., are very bad ideas?
NO - because these are sensible investments with a long track record of the investment paying off and being generally safe. No, no investment is totally safe. But a farmer can plant his crops and get wiped out by drought - all professions have risk.
Rick: What about the poker player who is very good at what he does? The one who can make a good living by being good at poker?
The poker player can have a dangerous addiction and can suffer constant losses that end up in debt and hurting his family, and his ability to contribute toward them with the potential for constant losses that pile up. When he is successful, he often is taking money from those who shouldn't have been risking it to begin with, and that likewise are hurting themselves and their families as they often are gambling money that is needed elsewhere. It's also a habit that triggers the pleasure and excitement centers of the brain, making one impulsive in taking large risks in the excitement of the moment - as opposed to hopefully well-thought-out investments that have far less risk. It's an endeavor of pure risk - not a calculated one based upon business transactions that are constantly enriching and employing others in the industry one has made transactions in it. One may win at the expense of many losing. It's really indefensible except on a very simple, fun scale - penny poker, raffles, etc.
These users liked this post by Philip:
claysmithr (Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 am)

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 259 times

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#14

Post by B. W. » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:50 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am
Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.
BUT my question is, is it sinful to take part in a game where there is magic, spells, etc. involved?

Obviously I don't buy into any of the ideas and treat it merely as a game kinda like watching a Lord of the Rings, Superman or Star Wars movie, or playing TV games that have a magic theme to them I guess.

Thoughts?

If you're unaware of what MTG is, look here.
You have to contend with scripture on this

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.
Eph 5:12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. NKJV

Eph 5:9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),
Eph 5:10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. NKJV

2Co 6:14,15 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? NKJV

I would be wise not to even start this. This how is certain kind of folks recruit people. It is no innocent game.

Tarot cards are just cards - right?

Just a warning...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

claysmithr
Established Member
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:07 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

#15

Post by claysmithr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:42 am

RickD wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:50 am
claysmithr wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:38 am
Gambling with money is a very bad idea from the Christian viewpoint, it's the opposite of being a wise steward. I'd argue that Magic: The Gathering is less harmful because money isn't involved, but I wouldn't feel good about playing Magic either.
So, from a Christian viewpoint, 401k accounts, other retirement accounts, buying real estate, etc., are very bad ideas?

What about the poker player who is very good at what he does? The one who can make a good living by being good at poker?
No, and I'm not even sure how you are comparing the two. For a lot of folks, gambling is a sin. 401k and real estate are good investments. Also, just because you can make a living off something doesn't make it right.

Post Reply