Billy Graham

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Billy Graham

Post by Philip »

Billy Graham's death got me to thinking about his impact. He certainly was human, made mistakes, got involved too close to some politicians. However, I'm curious as to how he was viewed outside of America. And how Catholics view him? My wife's family is Catholic - they never discuss Jesus, the Bible, faith - none of that - so she couldn't tell me what her family thought.

Unlike so many famous preachers, Graham never self-promoted himself. When he and his wife received the congressional medal of honor, in from of the nations leaders, his comments were not about himself, but of what Christ had done for him, and of our need for him. Interesting, one of his closest friends was Johnny Cash - the ultimate rebel turned Christian.

Legalists often asserted Graham watered down the Gospel - that he made it seem as if coming to Jesus is a simple thing - which is IS.
claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Billy Graham

Post by claysmithr »

From his wiki page
Graham operated a variety of media and publishing outlets.[9] According to his staff, more than 3.2 million people have responded to the invitation at Billy Graham Crusades to "accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior". As of 2008, Graham's estimated lifetime audience, including radio and television broadcasts, topped 2.2 billion. Because of his crusades, Graham preached the gospel to more people in person than anyone in the history of Christianity.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I can't call to mind anyone else, not in my lifetime, who made such an impact for Christ. I'd call what happened under his ministry as a true revival, something that has since only been sung about in Christian churches today.

Some are concerned that he dropped the Gospel, replacing it Universalism. I've read certain statements Graham made in support of such, but upon examination, found such accusations lacking merit. Happy to be provided with something more.

So as it stands, I don't really know too much about him, wasn't around or old enough to experience him. Nonetheless, I understand him to be someone God used to touch many people around the world. Quite phenominal, his crusades and the reach he had with popularising Christianity into societies amongst non-Christians, something that I'd never dream would be possible today.

As an aside, it's not our duty to "save" people, as though we could anyway. Graham gave the Gospel and guided people to the "alter". What people truly do once there, how they respond, the true status of their heart, such is dependant upon each individual. Perhaps some would like the Gospel corrupted like the Galatians who came to Christ only to then revert to trying to justify themselves with works. I don't know? y:-/
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I went to one of Graham's crusades, somewhere around 1987, but I don't remember much about it. I once met an ex-heroin addict who said he was saved during one of Billy's crusades. I've worked with hurricane relief with his son's disaster relief agency, Samaritan's Purse - which was an amazing experience.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I know with my own Dad, he had an impact upon him and likley three other of his siblings in the family (out of six in total) coming to Christ in his earlier crusades. Or at least, strong influence, so my Dad mentioned in some random conversation we have over the last year.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:I know with my own Dad, he had an impact upon him and likley three other of his siblings in the family (out of six in total) coming to Christ in his earlier crusades. Or at least, strong influence, so my Dad mentioned in some random conversation we have over the last year.
Billy Graham was around for the crusades? Wow, he was old!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:I know with my own Dad, he had an impact upon him and likley three other of his siblings in the family (out of six in total) coming to Christ in his earlier crusades. Or at least, strong influence, so my Dad mentioned in some random conversation we have over the last year.
I'm not sure if you're trying to be smart, or just being dumb. :P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:
I'm not sure if you're trying to be smart, or just being dumb. :P
Is there a difference?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

He was born in NC.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

I think we need more Billys today-where are they?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I like watching him preach and many of his older messages are still valid for today.

No one knows who God has in mind to raise up like Billy Graham or if there will be anymore at all. Graham also provided a moral voice which helped to hold in check the moral decay during his time here on earth. After he retired and health issues came that moral decay has come in like a flood worldwide as there so few moral voices these days. Nowadays grand meetings are all motivational speaking and 'Jesus your best Genie' you ever had messages.

Well we will have to see what happens next...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Not so sure on Billy Graham; here he denies that Jesus is the only path:

If you want to fast forward through the text, go to 1:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxlXy6bLH0

Second one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPKdbpVT6I
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Yes, Billy has made some questionable statements. But is't clear his message was all about "come to Jesus in faith."

Here, Matt Slick of Carm.org examines a few questionable things Graham said: https://carm.org/billy-graham

Here, in a crusade sermon, Graham makes clear that he believes faith in Christ is essential to salvation. He seems to add a few works to one who is a Christian, nonetheless, it's clear that Christ is central to what he believed about salvation.

http://www.jesuschristonly.com/sermons/ ... world.html
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

No one is perfect. I think Billy is in heaven.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Then again...Idk for sure.
Did he repent of this, or not? We don't know.