Prayers/Questions/thoughts being answered - spot on

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
JButler
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Prayers/Questions/thoughts being answered - spot on

Post by JButler »

I've been having more frequent experiences of having questions or thoughts answered in the past year+. Questions on Biblical topics/issues, who's teachings to listen to, what I should do in various situations, etc. Most come in response to specific prayers for guidance but some are responding to recurring thoughts or wondering about an issue.

Response is usually not immediate but taking a couple days to a few weeks, very occasionally longer. The answer usually takes the form of either something in writing or a presentation on YouTube. Sometimes a random answer will pop into my head at a time when not even thinking about much of anything.

The frequency of these and how specific my prayers/thoughts are answered leave no doubt its definitely The Holy Spirit at work. Answers are crystal clear and not ambiguous. Throughout my life I've had very occasional "feelings" or intuition but nothing remotely close to recent times.

Any comments or stories you are willing to share along this topic?
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
Nicki
Sex: Female

Re: Prayers/Questions/thoughts being answered - spot on

Post by Nicki »

That sounds great :) - God seems to be imparting a lot of wisdom. I have had that sort of guidance very occasionally through the years - not nearly that often.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Sounds like you're learning from our only teacher :ebiggrin: Matthew 23:10
Yup, those things happen with me on a frequent basis, among others.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

P.s. Why is the NASB95 the default bible used on this site? Really? At least use the NIV...
The verse is supposed to read (and does in MOST versions) teacher instead of leader :shakehead:
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Mallz wrote:P.s. Why is the NASB95 the default bible used on this site? Really? At least use the NIV...
The verse is supposed to read (and does in MOST versions) teacher instead of leader :shakehead:
I have that problem sometimes too,except I prefer a KJV.However I've kinda learned how to adapt to most any translation.I actually now prefer the NASB if it is not a KJV or NKJV.I don't like how the NIV leaves out the Trinity verse that is in the KJV.The KJV translators could read and write Hebrew and Greek by the time they were eight years old.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

I've read a number of translations as my interest in the Bible was strengthening. What works best for me is a parallel setup with the ESV and NIV. The NIV for smoother readibility with the ESV to cross-reference usually just to see how the message is rendered in that translation. I like electronic format so the Onlinebiblestudy.com and Biblegateway.org work very well with parallel versions.

B.W. mentioned he likes the NASB's rendering of the OT so I've been using that more for OT readings.

The Bible was a mysterious book full of lofty, super complex sentences and archaic prose which left me more confused than enlightened. You see I grew up in a KJV-only denomination. But thanks to God for leading me to James White's studies/lectures the veil over the Bible's message was lifted and The Word began coming to life!! I don't say this to lift one translation above another but strictly as a personal experience to share. (I will not engage in divisiveness over translations.)

Any rate, that's when the "AH HAH!" moments started happening, like finally figuring where a puzzle piece belonged in the big picture. Its wonderful! Like giving glasses to somebody with 20/400 vision. :-D
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

JButler wrote:I've read a number of translations as my interest in the Bible was strengthening. What works best for me is a parallel setup with the ESV and NIV. The NIV for smoother readibility with the ESV to cross-reference usually just to see how the message is rendered in that translation. I like electronic format so the Onlinebiblestudy.com and Biblegateway.org work very well with parallel versions.

B.W. mentioned he likes the NASB's rendering of the OT so I've been using that more for OT readings.

The Bible was a mysterious book full of lofty, super complex sentences and archaic prose which left me more confused than enlightened. You see I grew up in a KJV-only denomination. But thanks to God for leading me to James White's studies/lectures the veil over the Bible's message was lifted and The Word began coming to life!! I don't say this to lift one translation above another but strictly as a personal experience to share. (I will not engage in divisiveness over translations.)

Any rate, that's when the "AH HAH!" moments started happening, like finally figuring where a puzzle piece belonged in the big picture. Its wonderful! Like giving glasses to somebody with 20/400 vision. :-D
I agree with most everything you said but IMO the only time really a person might have problems understanding the English of the KJV is reading certain parts of the OT but when it comes to the NT the other versions give a slight weaker translation than a KJV does and it is so noticeable to me that it makes them seem a little watered down even if they use more modern English.And I think to myself why is this a watered down versions of God's word? There is a way to use modern english and it not be so watered down.

But something I've noticed is Christians that prefer a certain translation just because it is worded in a way that lines up with their interpretation instead of really trying to understand the truth.It is kind of like hiding behind a translation based on your interpretation.Like when we have discussions of say different creation interpretations I've had people move from translation to translation to where it is more worded to their liking iin order to avoid truth instead of considering many translations and comparing them to really get to the truth of what it says.

No matter what translation I prefer I never put that translation above truly understanding what the bible truly is telling us.I'll dig into the text to try to truly understand what it is saying and change my mind if I was wrong.I let God's word do the talking while I be quite until I know.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

Reminds me of taking Shakespeare in high school. I could read the words individually but the message/storyline was pretty foggy to say the least.

I like clear, to the point, cleanly constructed sentences and paragraphs. Like a detective testifying in court simple vs a lawyer writing up a legal brief to the court of appeals. BTW lawyers love to complicate simple things. :-)

As long as God's message comes through accurately, the language or prose of a language is a non-issue to me.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

I get that too!

Will be thinking about something, figuring something out, praying then something is posted, or a verse suggested, or I'll read something by chance and it will confirm my thoughts. I think it is God guiding me, letting me know if I'm on the right track, or steering me back on course.

The more I accept it and recognise it, the more it happens.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:I get that too!

Will be thinking about something, figuring something out, praying then something is posted, or a verse suggested, or I'll read something by chance and it will confirm my thoughts. I think it is God guiding me, letting me know if I'm on the right track, or steering me back on course.

The more I accept it and recognise it, the more it happens.
Could just be coincidence. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

y[-(

No such thing. Chance maybe, but not coincidence.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:y[-(

No such thing. Chance maybe, but not coincidence.
Ok. Random chance then. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

Stay away from James White, JB. He's Lordship Salvation and his "doctorate" is questionable.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

SoCalExile wrote:Stay away from James White, JB. He's Lordship Salvation and his "doctorate" is questionable.
I'm aware of him. He's got some stuff I've found helpful like his lectures on manuscript history topics and translation versions. His book on Grieving Back To Faith is excellent reading for those going through the grief process. My wife lost her mother over a year ago and said his book was 100% on target.

The biggest issues I have with him is his attitude and whining tone in the way he responds to people he disagrees with. I had enough of attitudes every day in police work. Its so refreshing to listen to someone making a presentation without an attitude. Bart Ehrman has a similar tone but on the flip side of biblical believing.

Second his respect for islamists and islam in general is too much considering the allah of islam is not God. He takes a snarky tone with anyone who is a "free willer" but is all syrupy with islam, making sure to pronounce words with the right accent and speaking of his "muslim friends" in a very respectful manner. My understanding of islam's books is that the muslim is not to be friends with non-muslims but deceive and subjugate them.