The International Association of Exorcists

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The International Association of Exorcists

Post by Philip »

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/07/02/3319 ... rcist.html

Also known as the "Society for Worthless Mumbo Jumbo and Pointless, Ineffective Ritual!" :shakehead:
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: The International Association of Exorcists

Post by Ivellious »

And the Vatican officially recognizes this as real? I thought the Catholic Church had kind of backed off the whole exorcism thing in recent years. At least that's what the Catholic student group at my university told me anyway.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I have seen prayer work for possessed, though not like its portrayed as exorcism in the movies. May be some of them do this work for God and good.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

neo-x wrote:I have seen prayer work for possessed, though not like its portrayed as exorcism in the movies. May be some of them do this work for God and good.
This always bothered me. Prayer to exorcise demons should be instant - not these hours of chanting and rituals to get the demon out. Jesus command the demons to leave and they did.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Very true. In my humble experience, sometimes things come back, instantly and sometime its more of a spiritual war. Some possession takes hours of prayers.

But I totally agree with you on this, it has nothing to do with chanting or ritual and that doesn't do anything.

I only meant prayer, just prayer, like we generally do.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

This always bothered me. Prayer to exorcise demons should be instant - not these hours of chanting and rituals to get the demon out. Jesus command the demons to leave and they did.
EXACTLY!!! In the New Testament, demons were confidently commanded to come out in the name of Jesus, instantly, through faith in and the power of the Lord Who has the power to make that happen. And Scripture says that ANY believer has the power, through faith in the power of Christ, to do this. It has nothing to do with the effectiveness of clever rituals, exorcist training, repetative mumbo-jumbo. Again, how demons must laugh at this Catholic nonsense surrounding the rituals of exorcism. All a demon has to do is show the appearance of possession, allow the priests to do their rituals, appear tortured and furious, and then simply go quiet - cleverly and powerfully perpertuating the belief in the power of ritual as opposed to their very real fear of the REAL power provided by faith in Christ. That is exactly what the demonic wants, faith in RITUAL! At just about ever turn, the Catholic Church tries to make believers dependent upon man (priests, the CC Church, bishops, the Pope, etc), CC teachings and ritual, so that people think these are the routes one must go through to have a proper relationship with God and are supposedly the channels through which His power flows. But the New Testament reveals these to be absolutely false. ANY believer at ANY time can approach the very throne of God with confidence, via simple faith in "THE Great High Priest (Christ!!!).

"And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons;" (Mark 16: 16-17)

"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Silvertusk wrote:
neo-x wrote:I have seen prayer work for possessed, though not like its portrayed as exorcism in the movies. May be some of them do this work for God and good.
Jesus yes, but...
Mark 9:14-29

Matthew 17:14-21
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

There is a question as to whether or not the "and fasting" was added to the original writing. It's considered a "textual varient" by Biblical textual scholars, meaning that it is in some ancient manuscripts but not in others. Well-know Biblical scholar Daniel Wallace mentions this passage issue in Strobels "The Case for the Real Jesus." So, either the manuscripts WITH "and fasting" are correct or those without it are. Which is it? It's not certain.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote:There is a question as to whether or not the "and fasting" was added to the original writing. It's considered a "textual varient" by Biblical textual scholars, meaning that it is in some ancient manuscripts but not in others. Well-know Biblical scholar Daniel Wallace mentions this passage issue in Strobels "The Case for the Real Jesus." So, either the manuscripts WITH "and fasting" are correct or those without it are. Which is it? It's not certain.
Yes, I am aware but that wasn't the point, the issue is that with JESUS, it was enough for him to say "OUT", but even his direct apostles had problems with some demons.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Yes, I am aware but that wasn't the point, the issue is that with JESUS, it was enough for him to say "OUT", but even his direct apostles had problems with some demons.
(or rather, a problem with a strong enough faith IN CHRIST'S ability to work through them).

Thanks for clarifying and I totally agree!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

neo-x wrote:I have seen prayer work for possessed, though not like its portrayed as exorcism in the movies. May be some of them do this work for God and good...
Very true, and definitely not how the movies make them out to be.

As for the article's content what can you say other than Hollywood will have a field day with this...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »