Sexless marriage

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
mum1983
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Sexless marriage

Post by mum1983 »

I didn't know where to put this. I guess it's a a prayer request and a need to vent at the same time. I am feeling so low at the moment, I really need to talk.

I am living in a sexless marriage due to my husband's health. We have never had a "normal" sexlife and I knew my husband had troubles in that department when we married, but I wasn't sure if it was due to psychological or physical problems. I assumed it was all in his head because sometimes he could and other times he couldn't. I thought things would get better (building up love, trust, etc) but they got worse. A little over two years ago, after my husband's diagnosis as diabetic with angina, our sexlife stopped completely. All of this led to my mental breakdown last summer. I am still trying to put my life together nearly a year later.

I am a busy stay at home mother, I have interests and love to read and write (this sometimes helps take my mind off my problems, but only for so long) but I cannot find any long term healing for my soul. I have received six counselling sessions and came out with no real constructive help. What good are suggestions I have already tried them all already? I am not interested in other ways, I want to be made love to the "normal" way. I am heartbroken over this. My husband knows it too and as soon as the kids go up to bed, he goes upstairs too, under the pretext of "getting them off to sleep" but he stays up there all night, every night. Then when I'm going up to bed myself, he comes down and sleeps on the couch.

Lately I've been asking God why this has had to happen. My first marriage broke up because my husband lost interest in me sexually after the birth of our first and only child. Most of the time I feel like I'm just existing. This is no way to live.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Sexless marriage

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

You've got a serious problem; and so will your children because you and your husband are models for the spouses they will choose later on.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

mum1983, please go ASAP to this site (http://www.boards.themarriagebed.com/viewforum.php?f=23). This site, themarriagebed.com, is a Christian website devoted to Godly sexuality. Every issue under the sun is discussed there and I can guarantee you will find not only a lot of fantastic information, but also countless Godly men and women who have been through your type of issues and who will be glad to give you great advice as well as point you to resources. Please go there, sign up and post exactly what you have done here. The link I put above is only one of several categories that would relate to your issues, but upon your posting, I can guarantee you that people will point you in the right direction or give you some very wise advice.

Hope this helps!
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I am sorry to hear, mum, and will pray for you. Has he been to counseling with you? Is he not willing to open up to you?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

mum1983 wrote:I didn't know where to put this. I guess it's a a prayer request and a need to vent at the same time. I am feeling so low at the moment, I really need to talk.

I am living in a sexless marriage due to my husband's health. We have never had a "normal" sexlife and I knew my husband had troubles in that department when we married, but I wasn't sure if it was due to psychological or physical problems. I assumed it was all in his head because sometimes he could and other times he couldn't. I thought things would get better (building up love, trust, etc) but they got worse. A little over two years ago, after my husband's diagnosis as diabetic with angina, our sexlife stopped completely. All of this led to my mental breakdown last summer. I am still trying to put my life together nearly a year later.

I am a busy stay at home mother, I have interests and love to read and write (this sometimes helps take my mind off my problems, but only for so long) but I cannot find any long term healing for my soul. I have received six counselling sessions and came out with no real constructive help. What good are suggestions I have already tried them all already? I am not interested in other ways, I want to be made love to the "normal" way. I am heartbroken over this. My husband knows it too and as soon as the kids go up to bed, he goes upstairs too, under the pretext of "getting them off to sleep" but he stays up there all night, every night. Then when I'm going up to bed myself, he comes down and sleeps on the couch.

Lately I've been asking God why this has had to happen. My first marriage broke up because my husband lost interest in me sexually after the birth of our first and only child. Most of the time I feel like I'm just existing. This is no way to live.
What you have described is a possibility in every marriage....that is, a Spouse can get a disease or be in an accident that leaves him/her somewhat sexually impaired. However, the impaired Spouse still has the responsibility and capability to sexually satisfy his Marriage Partner and should be willing to do so . If normal intercourse is not viable, then there is still oral and finger stimulation in addition to increasing affection toward the Other when laying beside one another . I tend to think its a matter of the Will regarding your husband and not so much physical incapability....and for that, he and you really need to enter professional Chrstian Counselling asap before you gradually start moving closer to a possible extra marital affair . I think all of us here can lift you up in prayer as well as your Husband.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Is this only a sex issue or is it also an intimacy issue?
Is there still passion and tenderness and love and togetherness?
You keep saying "normal" in regards to sex...what does that mean?