Atheist/Evolutionist

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Atheist/Evolutionist

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Sorry to jump in but doesn't the Hebrew word that is translated as evening and morning should really be translated as order and disorder.

Dan
Daniel, I had never heard that before. Where did you hear that?

Ok I have consulted my concordance and the claim was bogus the word boqer actually means dawn and ereb as dusk, evening, but that could mean dawn of an era. :D

I highly recommend strong's exhaustive concordance of the Bible, it has the Hebrew and Greek translations and you can find any passage you want just by one word except of course the common ones like and,the,in etc..

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I highly recommend strong's exhaustive concordance of the Bible, it has the Hebrew and Greek translations and you can find any passage you want just by one word except of course the common ones like and,the,in etc..

Dan
Which one would you recommend from this selection?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Stu wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I highly recommend strong's exhaustive concordance of the Bible, it has the Hebrew and Greek translations and you can find any passage you want just by one word except of course the common ones like and,the,in etc..

Dan
Which one would you recommend from this selection?

Well I have this one

The large print makes it much better for long studies, less strain on the old peepers.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Believe it or not there is more to the world than 21st century english speaking westerners and the world doesn't revolve around us. y:O2 :mrgreen:
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

spartanII wrote:What I've always wondered is if God wanted it to mean a long period of time wouldn't He have used another word rather than 'yom,' knowing it would confuse people for the future generations to come.
What other word in ancient Hebrew would have been better?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Believe it or not there is more to the world than 21st century english speaking westerners and the world doesn't revolve around us. y:O2 :mrgreen:
It does if you are all a figment of my imagination. 8-}2
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

spartanII wrote:What I've always wondered is if God wanted it to mean a long period of time wouldn't He have used another word rather than 'yom,' knowing it would confuse people for the future generations to come.
Read John Lennox's book, 'Seven Days That Divide the World'. Lennox goes into great detail in his book to explain the Hebrew word "Yom" transliterated as the English word "Day" and the word actually has FOUR different meanings used in the Genesis account of creation.

To claim that Yom just means a literal 24 hour day and that it holds that meaning throughout all of scripture, is to really take away from the study of the Hebrew and the words that God used for our understanding in order to weaken scripture, to back up a particular world view.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Katabole wrote:Read John Lennox's book, 'Seven Days That Divide the World'. Lennox goes into great detail in his book to explain the Hebrew word "Yom" transliterated as the English word "Day" and the word actually has FOUR different meanings used in the Genesis account of creation.

To claim that Yom just means a literal 24 hour day and that it holds that meaning throughout all of scripture, is to really take away from the study of the Hebrew and the words that God used for our understanding in order to weaken scripture, to back up a particular world view.
Do you know if Lennox is an OEC or YEC?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

RickD wrote:
If i knew hebrew i'd be able to answer that question. But i'm guessing something that mean long period of time. Like, if God used the word "and then on the 2nd gap"--- we could all agree that it took some time, nobody knows exactly how long.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

spartanII wrote:
RickD wrote:
If i knew hebrew i'd be able to answer that question. But i'm guessing something that mean long period of time. Like, if God used the word "and then on the 2nd gap"--- we could all agree that it took some time, nobody knows exactly how long.
From what I understand Spartan, yom is the only word that could have been used.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

Stu wrote:Do you know if Lennox is an OEC or YEC?
Lennox is an OEC Gap/Day Age creationist and he doesn't adhere to macro evolution.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Bovey wrote:I had a question that was similar to the one of spartans about atheist. I had a teacher that is a staunch atheist and evolutionist. I've tried many times in the past to bring up the Bible and much evidence against the theory of evolution but he silenced me and either made me sit in the hall or go to the principals office. How do I approach a person like this? I want to share all of my information with him but he won't listen. Just asking for a few suggestions. Thanks in advanced. :D
This reminds me of this interaction with my geography teacher:
Teacher: Now, class, the biggest cause of wars in history, more than any other, is religion.
Me: Actually, according to the Encyclopedia of Wars, religion is the cause of less than 7% of all wars in history.
Teacher: That isn't entirely accurate.
Me: Where's your source?
Teacher: The crusades
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox