thank you, everyone

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Echoside
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

thank you, everyone

Post by Echoside »

I was raised Christian by my mother, but never understood it. I grew out of it in my teen years, as she had a very simple (not incorrect) faith that my strictly logically inclined brain couldn't comprehend. I had read plenty of philosophy books, articles, etc. and took a very naturalistic approach to things. Looking back I am sad that such a young person was exposed to a very one sided view of the world. I was, and have always been an intellectual, and I thought I was doing the intelligent thing by dismissing religion.

I came to this site when I was around 15 years old. I vividly remember taking that quiz involving how much of the knowledge of the universe I had. And frustrated as I was to admit it, many of the articles dismissing atheistic criticisms of Christianity made a lot of sense. I think this is the time where I became an honest seeker, I laid down my barriers and became an agnostic in search of truth. Maybe not completely, but an effort was made.

A couple years later I joined the forum. I asked a few questions, usually reserving myself to read what others had to say on a variety of topics. My respect grew for many members of this site, and the faith. I think Jac3510 was a big part of this, as I had never seen philosophical, logical material in defense of Christianity. It's unfortunate that he is not here to read this. I read material on other sites, and one time WLC was mentioned. Every once in a while I still go to reasonable faith to listen to a podcast.

More recently, a few weeks ago I had a discussion about Christianity with my grandfather. To this day he is still one of most intelligent people I've ever met. I found myself smiling as many of the things we talked about were topics I've seen addressed on this site. And I think I began to realise then that I may have been wrong this whole time. Sitting there, agreeing with him on many points was like a slap across the back of the head. What exactly was I objecting to?

Ever since then my mind and emotions have been in fast forward. Last night I feel like I jumped off a cliff, and before I hit the ground was embraced by something so far beyond myself that it' s flooded every aspect of my being. I feel happier than I have in a very long time, I feel like dark glasses have been removed from my eyes and I'm seeing unhindered.

I wanted just to say thank you to everyone. I may have disagreed with things you all have said in the past, and probably also the future. But as a new brother in Christ, I would feel privelaged to join the family, if you would have me :D

Thank you, I can't express how much these years have meant. :cloud9:
Last edited by Echoside on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: thank you, everyone

Post by RickD »

Echoside wrote:I was raised Christian by my mother, but never understood it. I grew out of it in my teen years, as she had a very simple (not incorrect) faith that my strictly logically inclined brain couldn't comprehend. I had read plenty of philosophy books, articles, etc. and took a very naturalistic approach to things. Looking bad I am sad that such a young person was exposed to a very one sided view of the world. I was, and have always been an intellectual, and I thought I was doing the intelligent thing by dismissing religion.

I came to this site when I was around 15 years old. I vividly remember taking that quiz involving how much of the knowledge of the universe I had. And frustrated as I was to admit it, many of the articles dismissing atheistic criticisms of Christianity made a lot of sense. I think this is the time where I became an honest seeker, I laid down my barriers and became an agnostic in search of truth. Maybe not completely, but an effort was made.

A couple years later I joined the forum. I asked a few questions, usually reserving myself to read what others had to say on a variety of topics. My respect grew for many members of this site, and the faith. I think Jac3510 was a big part of this, as I had never seen philosophical, logical material in defense of Christianity. It's unfortunate that he is not here to read this. I read material on other sites, and one time WLC was mentioned. Every once in a while I still go to reasonable faith to listen to a podcast.

More recently, a few weeks ago I had a discussion about Christianity with my grandfather. To this day he is still one of most intelligent people I've ever met. I found myself smiling as many of the things we talked about were topics I've seen addressed on this site. And I think I began to realise then that I may have been wrong this whole time. Sitting there, agreeing with him on many points was like a slap across the back of the head. What exactly was I objecting to?

Ever since then my mind and emotions have been in fast forward. Last night I feel like I jumped off a cliff, and before I hit the ground was embraced by something so far beyond myself that it' s flooded every aspect of my being. I feel happier than I have in a very long time, I feel like dark glasses have been removed from my eyes and I'm seeing unhindered.

I wanted just to say thank you to everyone. I may have disagreed with things you all have said in the past, and probably also the future. But as a new brother in Christ, I would feel privelaged to join the family, if you would have me :D

Thank you, I can't express how much these years have meant. :cloud9:
Wow, Echoside, that's great. I'm so happy that God used people here, to help you come to Him. I'm sure your family would love to hear that their prayers for you, finally came to fruition. I'd love to hear more about your journey, when you have the time.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
August
Old School

Post by August »

All glory be to God alone. Go forward in His peace, and we are always here to help you on the journey.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Welcome to the Kingdom of God !

You'll never be the same again!

Glory!
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Echo,

Praise God and welcome Brother.

I still speak with Jac. In fact he sent me a paper today, that he just finished. I'm certain he doesn't mind me sharing the link. It's heavy stuff.

http://cmmorrison.files.wordpress.com/2 ... licity.pdf
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Wow that is awesome, praise be to God.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

Thanks guys

jlay wrote:Echo,

Praise God and welcome Brother.

I still speak with Jac. In fact he sent me a paper today, that he just finished. I'm certain he doesn't mind me sharing the link. It's heavy stuff.

http://cmmorrison.files.wordpress.com/2 ... licity.pdf
I'll look into it :D
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

:ebiggrin:

Thank you so much for posting this, it literally made my day. I pray that the good people here will continue to be helpful as you continue in your walk. I think many others can affirm that the experience you described is just the beginning of an amazing journey with Christ.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

August wrote:All glory be to God alone. Go forward in His peace, and we are always here to help you on the journey.
Amen brother.

Welcome to the family Echoside.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

Byblos wrote:
Welcome to the family Echoside.
Thanks, Byblos, it means a lot. Call me Joshua, if it suits you. Somehow it feels all the more appropriate now :)
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

That's so lovely to hear echo....All Praises to Him!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Joshua, the privilege is ours; it is so good to see that you finally took that leap of faith. Welcome to the family, brother. y>:D<
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

Joshua/Echoside, to be honest I had been expecting this to happen sooner or later, :D

so now that it's happened, I wish you a welcome to our family. Congratulations and enjoy your life. :ewink:
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by inlovewiththe44 »

Congrats Josh y>:D< Praise God!

Also, I recommend The Screwtape Letters. It made me a lot more aware of pitfalls I would face as a Christian. Plus, it's just a really good read.

Rachel :)
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

Glad to have you, Josh!
inlovewiththe44 wrote: Also, I recommend The Screwtape Letters. It made me a lot more aware of pitfalls I would face as a Christian. Plus, it's just a really good read.
^ seconded.