What Bible should I get?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Short1
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

What Bible should I get?

Post by Short1 »

Hey guys... with the realization that my insides feel like they're crashing down... I need to get more God in my life. I need to slow down.. take things in.. listen to God. I'm a music education major and from what I've heard, its the hardest degree here at my school. I want to slow down and enjoy my time.. take in every moment and learn the most that I can from each moment.

And I think it has to start with faith. I need to find a grounding... and I want to see what the Bible has to offer. What kind should I get? Mostly, I'm wondering what kind of translation to get and if a study Bible is a good idea. I'd love to get a nice Bible with a leather cover.

Any suggestions? (Particularly on translation.. which one is most accurate but yet readable?)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: What Bible should I get?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Short1 wrote:Any suggestions? (Particularly on translation.. which one is most accurate but yet readable?)
Never mind the ''most accurate'' translation. Any translation you enjoy reading will be of immense benefit to your spiritual growth. The best thing you can do at this point is to read a few lines of various translations and see which one pleases you most. The Bible you pick up and read is more important than the Bible with the super-accurate & obtuse translation that stays on your bookshelf, its nice leather binding never getting creased because it is not opened.

FL :incense:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Short,

http://www.biblegateway.com/

You can choose any version on this link and see which one you get a feel for before taking the plunge. If it's accuracy you're after, then to the best of my knowledge the King James and New American Standard are the most accurate in staying faithful to the original texts.

This is useful:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/Greek/
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Most readable would be the Message in my opinion. Most accurate? An interlinear bible would come closest, but in terms of trying to hold syntax it would be the ESV, I think.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hi
I have an NIV life application study Bible, i like it because it has a commentary written by sound theologians to help understand how the verse can apply to your life in this day and age.
It really helped me when i first became a Christian.

Daniel
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

I agree with daniel, NIV is easiest to understand and you get the most out of it.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
alex1
Newbie Member

Post by alex1 »

i personally like the Holman Christian Standard Bible. Very modern and easy to read. Study bible is always good if you can get one.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I have several...

mainly use the NKJV and NASB and sometimes the ESV

I have various Interlinear greek, hebrew, english ones as well...
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys