Inspiration by apologists?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Inspiration by apologists?

Post by spartanII »

Are you any of you inspired by apologists? I am inspired by WLC and Bahnsen. Both men are really awesome. It's sad that Bahnsen died but he left behind a wealthy catalog of useful information. Both men have helped restore my faith with God once i was really down.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Inspiration by apologists?

Post by Silvertusk »

William Craig is definately my all time favourite - his Existence of God Podcast serious is amazing.

Others I really like are -

John Lennox, Lee Strobel, Hugh Ross, Rich Deem, Josh Mcdowell and Alistair McGrath - all people who played a big part in my Salvation.
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

One of my early influences that got me into apologetics was Francis Schaeffer. I enjoyed the logical and very smart stuff by Craig and he's been one of my favorites. I think my favorite right now (I think they're all, or at least most, good, so I'm using the term "favorite" pretty loosely) is Ravi Zacharias. I think sometimes Christians underestimate the importance of Christians reflecting Christ... and I really feel like Zacharias does that so well. You can just tell that he has a deep walk with Christ and a deep love for unbelievers.
Young, Restless, Reformed
spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

narnia4 wrote:One of my early influences that got me into apologetics was Francis Schaeffer. I enjoyed the logical and very smart stuff by Craig and he's been one of my favorites. I think my favorite right now (I think they're all, or at least most, good, so I'm using the term "favorite" pretty loosely) is Ravi Zacharias. I think sometimes Christians underestimate the importance of Christians reflecting Christ... and I really feel like Zacharias does that so well. You can just tell that he has a deep walk with Christ and a deep love for unbelievers.
Oh yeah, Zacharias has an awesome life story and is a very good speaker. Hitchens is the atheist's spokesman when it comes down to telling stories and tying them into an atheist agenda. Zacharias is the parallel opposite for Christians. He tells a story and ties it into Christianity but not out of an agenda, rather out of love.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

WLC is my favorite. John Lennox is right there tho.

Douglas Groothuis
Norman Geisler
Clete Hux
Chuck Taylor
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

I don't know a lot of them, but my two favorite apologists are Dinesh D'Souza and Nicky Gumbell. Dinesh is simply amazing at taking down the arguments of the New Atheists, as he did in What's So Great About Christianity. Nicky Gumbell answers some of the toughest questions raised against Christianity in his "Searching Issues" series, books that are only 20-30 pages long, yet clearly and completely answer the question provided.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

As typical as this my sound, C. S. Lewis really is my favorite, mainly because he's the one that really influenced my decision to become a full-on Christian (notable Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters, which both helped me determine the futility and dangers of atheism respectively). However, I've recently been attracted to Dr. John Lennox (a fantastic debater if I do say so myself), William Lane Craig (shows an unbelievable understanding of scripture), and I have started reading Thomas Aquinas (currently reading through Summa Theologica... little by little). I've been meaning to look more into the works of Zacharias, McGrath, and Ross. I should do that soon, lol!

My brother (also a Christian) is pretty big of science, so he decided to read On the Origin of Species "just to get it over with." So, I should maybe get into some of the science-y apologetics so I can find a few good ones for him (any suggestions to start with, anybody?). At, folks like Alvin Plantinga and Hugh Ross come to mind as good authors to begin with, and, of course, John Lennox!
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Stygian wrote:As typical as this my sound, C. S. Lewis really is my favorite, mainly because he's the one that really influenced my decision to become a full-on Christian (notable Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters, which both helped me determine the futility and dangers of atheism respectively). However, I've recently been attracted to Dr. John Lennox (a fantastic debater if I do say so myself), William Lane Craig (shows an unbelievable understanding of scripture), and I have started reading Thomas Aquinas (currently reading through Summa Theologica... little by little). I've been meaning to look more into the works of Zacharias, McGrath, and Ross. I should do that soon, lol!

My brother (also a Christian) is pretty big of science, so he decided to read On the Origin of Species "just to get it over with." So, I should maybe get into some of the science-y apologetics so I can find a few good ones for him (any suggestions to start with, anybody?). At, folks like Alvin Plantinga and Hugh Ross come to mind as good authors to begin with, and, of course, John Lennox!
Forget Origin of Species, in the grand scheme of things it's immaterial (lol, pun intended). I would recommend reading the militant atheist literature first. The likes, of Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, and Hitchins, then come back to Plantinga, Aquinas, Ross, Craig, and Feser. Only then will you see the utter futility of atheism.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

Byblos wrote:Forget Origin of Species, in the grand scheme of things it's immaterial (lol, pun intended). I would recommend reading the militant atheist literature first. The likes, of Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, and Hitchins, then come back to Plantinga, Aquinas, Ross, Craig, and Feser. Only then will you see the utter futility of atheism.
That sounds like a plan! In a way, that would be my approach.
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

Dawkins is a biologist first and writer second. I'm not a fan of his written work. Sam Harris is a neuroscientist first and philosopher second and is philosophically illiterate - he repackages old ideas unknowingly and claims them as his own and his ethical ideas are a little problematic (seriously? Racial profiling?). Dennet is good but philisophically dense and doesn't bring too much to his field - I still enjoy his philosophical work but I'm not sure what he's contributed to the "new atheist" movement per se. And while I absolutely adore Hitchens, any theist will reject and loathe his work - he attacks religion on a more aesthetic level and seems to defy god as though he believes in him - fun but not particularly argumentative.

If you want intellectual atheists, I prefer Bertrand Russel or Hume (struggling to think up more recent examples). If you're an atheist looking to feel better about yourself, then maybe the four horsemen's work is a better read.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

What, no votes for Hovind?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:What, no votes for Hovind?
Jlay, you beat me to it. I was just in the middle of a post, extolling Kent Hovind, and you posted. You must be a mind reader.

It's good to see you still have your sense of humor. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Beanybag wrote:Dawkins is a biologist first and writer second. I'm not a fan of his written work. Sam Harris is a neuroscientist first and philosopher second and is philosophically illiterate - he repackages old ideas unknowingly and claims them as his own and his ethical ideas are a little problematic (seriously? Racial profiling?). Dennet is good but philisophically dense and doesn't bring too much to his field - I still enjoy his philosophical work but I'm not sure what he's contributed to the "new atheist" movement per se. And while I absolutely adore Hitchens, any theist will reject and loathe his work - he attacks religion on a more aesthetic level and seems to defy god as though he believes in him - fun but not particularly argumentative.

If you want intellectual atheists, I prefer Bertrand Russel or Hume (struggling to think up more recent examples). If you're an atheist looking to feel better about yourself, then maybe the four horsemen's work is a better read.
Oy! If the atheist movement is resting on Russel and Hume I dare say then the movement is dead. y8-X
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Icthus
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Icthus »

Beanybag wrote:Dawkins is a biologist first and writer second. I'm not a fan of his written work. Sam Harris is a neuroscientist first and philosopher second and is philosophically illiterate - he repackages old ideas unknowingly and claims them as his own and his ethical ideas are a little problematic (seriously? Racial profiling?). Dennet is good but philisophically dense and doesn't bring too much to his field - I still enjoy his philosophical work but I'm not sure what he's contributed to the "new atheist" movement per se. And while I absolutely adore Hitchens, any theist will reject and loathe his work - he attacks religion on a more aesthetic level and seems to defy god as though he believes in him - fun but not particularly argumentative.

It's lovely to hear an appraisal like this from an atheist, Beanybag. While I'm well aware of the existence, and number, of more moderate atheists, I encounter far too many rabid Dawkins fans (of the sort who think he can do no wrong and has single-handedly crushed Christianity intellectually) for my liking. If only moderates were more vocal. But you're quite mistaken on Hitchens--how could I loathe a man with that much wit, even if I despise his position and find fault with his logic. We writers can't help but adore each other's work, even when we hate it, and if Hitchens brought only one thing to the table (and I often think he did) it was a talent for writing.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

Byblos wrote:
Oy! If the atheist movement is resting on Russel and Hume I dare say then the movement is dead. y8-X
Literally! Although, every great old philosopher has ideas worth looking at, even if many are now defunct. The new atheists are a proud bunch and could do with a great deal more of that Socratic humility.

And very much agreed Icthus. :]