The Finger of God

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Sharna
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Finger of God

Post by Sharna »

Hi. I don't know if anyone really posts here still or anything, but I thought I would drop by and get some other opinions on an issue that has come up recently. I've been arguing with my youth pastor for some time about this documentary series, so I would like to hear your input. I'll give my opinions if anyone replies, haha.

The Finger of God is a documentary about miracles in the modern church. My youth pastor told me to watch it. If you get the chance to see parts or the whole thing, let me know what you think. Here is the first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7atLDcVUg
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: The Finger of God

Post by B. W. »

Sharna wrote:Hi. I don't know if anyone really posts here still or anything, but I thought I would drop by and get some other opinions on an issue that has come up recently. I've been arguing with my youth pastor for some time about this documentary series, so I would like to hear your input. I'll give my opinions if anyone replies, haha.

The Finger of God is a documentary about miracles in the modern church. My youth pastor told me to watch it. If you get the chance to see parts or the whole thing, let me know what you think. Here is the first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7atLDcVUg
I tried to watch it but the video spolls and sputters and stops and starts - try again latters.

What do you think of it?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

For a second the title made me think we were gonna be talking about one of these.

I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Sharna
Acquainted Member

Post by Sharna »

As I told my youth leader, I disagree with a lot of the theology in the film (basically anything Charismatic puts me on edge). It doesn't help that I felt like the film was too biased and the narrator incompetent. The camera angles are often strange and miss out on key events in the footage, and he tends to cut the footage in a way that it seems too manipulated. He obviously comes from a very fundamentalist church, and although he says numerous times, "I didn't believe it at first", you can tell he is easily convinced and probably never doubted it in the first place. Basically, its a case of a documentary maker creating a conclusion and finding evidence to support it while leaving everything else behind and not the opposite, which is what should happen.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Sharna wrote:As I told my youth leader, I disagree with a lot of the theology in the film (basically anything Charismatic puts me on edge). It doesn't help that I felt like the film was too biased and the narrator incompetent. The camera angles are often strange and miss out on key events in the footage, and he tends to cut the footage in a way that it seems too manipulated. He obviously comes from a very fundamentalist church, and although he says numerous times, "I didn't believe it at first", you can tell he is easily convinced and probably never doubted it in the first place. Basically, its a case of a documentary maker creating a conclusion and finding evidence to support it while leaving everything else behind and not the opposite, which is what should happen.
Hi Sharna,

What I can watch of the video on U-tube between the pausing, spooling, and sputtering is that I personally do not find fault with the film. I myself have seen some unusual things and witnessed some very amazing healings that if I would not have seen or been a part of, I would not believe it either. If this is actual footage or dramatization of real events, I do not know. Knowing that teachers of the gospel fall into stricter judgment, I would not suspect the authors to have faked this film either, maybe a bit over zealous but only the Lord knows.

Please remember that such things complied on this film are all placed side by side then it looks different, like it is supposed to be going on every second of everyday. That is not the case. There is also a context to these happenings in which the Lord is Glorified – if this is not there, then run. There will be people who like this film and others who do not. That is not really important as is the Gospel of Jesus changing souls out of darkness into his light.

In the book of Acts it is recorded that Gamaliel said about followers of Jesus:

"And now I say to you, keep away from these men and let them alone; for if this plan or this work is of men, it will come to nothing; 39 but if it is of God, you cannot overthrow it—lest you even be found to fight against God," Act 5:38, 39, NKJV

Is still good advice, even for Christians as well as what Paul wrote in 1 Th 5:21 too - quoted below along with the context...

1 Th 5:14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all.
1 Th 5:15 See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all.
1 Th 5:16 Rejoice always,
1 Th 5:17 pray without ceasing,
1 Th 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Th 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit.
1 Th 5:20 Do not despise prophecies.
1 Th 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.
1 Th 5:22 Abstain from every form of evil.
1 Th 5:23, 24 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.24 He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.
NKJV
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Sharna
Acquainted Member

Post by Sharna »

Don't get me wrong, BW, I definitely believe in the power of miracles and God's workings in our lives. I know several people very personally who's lives have been dramatically influenced by God's grace. If I have time, I would like to share one of those stories on a different thread.
Anyway, it is not the idea that miracles cannot happen or that God cannot do certain things that off-puts me on this issue. I really don't think what is happening the documentary (if you get a chance to watch in on a different computer or something, let me know) is Biblical. These miracles seem to not serve God's kingdom, but rather a secluded and self-serving church. If some of the miracles are not staged, which I would be surprised if they weren't, then I don't think they are through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Remember what Paul says in Col. 4:5, we should conduct ourselves as to not alienate non-believers. We shouldn't make Christianity seem like a farce and a selective religion. Maybe its because I have never attended a charismatic church, but I truly don't believe they are serving the needs of the kingdom, only themselves.
Sharna
Acquainted Member

Post by Sharna »

Don't get me wrong, BW, I definitely believe in the power of miracles and God's workings in our lives. I know several people very personally who's lives have been dramatically influenced by God's grace. If I have time, I would like to share one of those stories on a different thread.
Anyway, it is not the idea that miracles cannot happen or that God cannot do certain things that off-puts me on this issue. I really don't think what is happening the documentary (if you get a chance to watch in on a different computer or something, let me know) is Biblical. These miracles seem to not serve God's kingdom, but rather a secluded and self-serving church. If some of the miracles are not staged, which I would be surprised if they weren't, then I don't think they are through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Remember what Paul says in Col. 4:5, we should conduct ourselves as to not alienate non-believers. We shouldn't make Christianity seem like a farce and a selective religion. Maybe its because I have never attended a charismatic church, but I truly don't believe they are serving the needs of the kingdom, only themselves.
Belfast Citizen
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Belfast Citizen »

Looks like the the same charismatic twaddle that I got out of. Look at the lady on the floor after being "slain in the Spirit". She had the presence of mind to adjust her coat. y:-/ Glad I'm outta that stuff. God bless.
FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Post by FearlessLlearsy »

Sharna! Yes, indeed, i have watched the finger of God in my youth group, and the sequel to it. Personally, i think the author of the documentary meant to do good (exposing God's miracles). However, the people he interviewed had some interesting supernatural stories that are not to Biblical.
A simple one is: Gold dust or Gold teeth
In Finger of God, the narrator exposes several cases of people receiving gold dust from Heaven, and claiming it to be a "Divine" touch from God. As marvelous as it sounds, this phenomena started OUTSIDE the Church.

It is just recently this Gold stuff has entered its way into Churches, and it is so appealing, Christians are quick to say: ITS FROM GOD!
Several well documented cases of this Gold phenomena points out that this "stuff" started in the Occult system based in Brazil. YES, indeed, it comes right from the DEVIL :twisted:

A quick link to know more about the Origins of Gold dust:
http://www.thevoicemagazine.com/christi ... ngels.html

A woman that has claimed that is Ruth Ward Heiflin and you can know more about her following this link:
http://www.pfo.org/goldgirl.htm
Quick summary is that she has used MANY occult doctrines from Brazil, formed appealing miracles, and claimed that it was from God. She was the most selft aggrandizing person you would probably ever meet. She claimed to have healed people, droven out demons, ect... while, almost no case of actuall Biblical miracles were witnessed during her life.

The real problem that i found myself having with this documentary is the very fact that they put SO much emphasis on miracles..... miracles, not from God, but from God and the Devil. I must say, BECAREFUL!
Recently, I went to an overnight at my youth group, with my friends. We prayed and prayed for hours. Our youth group leaders asked God:" Let us touch you O lord, let us touch your Finger, may you come down and meet us"

Now, this disturbed me very much, because they placed so much emphasis on MIRACLES. Eventually, later that night, my BEST friend, while praying under the light, started to GLOW. Little particles of Gold/ Gold looking things started to appear on his skin. Everyone was dumbfounded, including my friend, and he felt very special... For he thought he had been touched by God, but infact, he had been touch by a POWER containing much Evil and Deceit. My ocnfession is, I, myself, came close to his skin, and saw NOTHING. I was starting to ask myself, are they hallucinating??! But then again, maybe the Holy Spirit did not leave me in blindness and helped me unravel the deceiving pwer of Satan.
“For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect” (Matthew 24:24)
'
Live a life with no FEAR, for the battle is already won. The Devil and his minions only cry in agonizing pain, realizing the victory is OURS.