When were you saved?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
FredFlanders
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: When were you saved?

Post by FredFlanders »

B. W. wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:
B. W. wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:BW,

Please explain further on what your “Love” comment is all about?

Fred.
You being a Christian should know about Christian love…

What does agape /agapeo mean to you?
-
-
-
As you don't know BW, I will tell you. The Love of Christ.

Has that confused you BW?

Fred

How do you define the Love of Christ?
-
-
-
BW,

By the same works that Christ did. Did All obtained when we receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues???

Now you are more confused.

Fred.
FredFlanders
Familiar Member

Post by FredFlanders »

jlay wrote:
Paul said in 1 Cor 12 v 7 that the manifestations of the Holy Spirit is given to ALL to profit the Church. All had some wisdom, some knowledge, some faith, all could speak in tongues, all could lay hands on the sick etc.
I'm very confused as to how you would read v7 this way. In the context of chapter 12, v7 is making the distinction that the varieties of gifts are all manifest from the same spirit. It would appear you are adding to the plain meaning.

v8 'For to one is given the word of (M)wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of (N)knowledge according to the same Spirit.'
v8-10 clearly indicate that what is given to one, may not be given to another. Thus the distinction, "one vs. another," which is made repeatedly through this section. If I said, I am giving a TV to one, and a football to another," why would you conclude that I am giving some of each to both? By what method do you come to this conclusion? Paul further emphasizes this point by using the distinct and differnt parts of the human anatomy. That each distinct and different part makes up one body. The ear doesn't have the gift of picking things up. And the hand can't hear sounds. But all work together. The hand doesn't have partial hearing, nor the ear partial grasping abilities.

In fact, let's look at what Paul says. v15 "If the foot says, "Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body."

If a person says, "I do not speak in tongues, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any less a part of the body.
But this is EXACTLY what you are saying. And I agree with Bart. It is heresy.

Nor does this passage even indicate that what Paul references as 'tongues' is what we see today. Babbling nonsense.
On the day of Pentecost, and when the Gentiles received the same, it is clear that people understood each in their own native tongue.
10and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.
Why would anyone read into this, that this describes the babbling we hear today? Various kinds of tongues can simply be translated, various kinds of languages.
That means you would be inspired by the Holy Spirit to speak and be heard in various kinds of languages. I have challenged TM and I challege you to give one example of this in your personal life. TM never would. Interpretation simply means you are able to understand a variety of languages. Being that the middle East in those days was a multi-lingual culture, this wouldn't be that surprising. The Apostle Paul was likely well spoken in a variety of languages.

I have been around many speaking in so called 'tongues' and I've yet to recoginze, or hear anyone else recognize a word they've said in any language, their own or otherwise. I know of no events occuring today that replicate what was happening in the day of Pentecost. The Bible gives only one clear example of what 'tongues' looks like, and none of this babbling looks remotely like what the Bible describes in Acts 2.

As best I can tell, people like TM and Fred have bought into this distortion of what the scriptures say, PLAINLY.
Jlay,

The Corinthian meetings were not orderly, they were speaking over one another and was not edifying for anyone.

Paul was saying to them that all the gifts are important to help all at the meetings but by the Holy Spirit one should speak a word of wisdom, another knowledge, to anther faith, another miracles etc. but not all speaking over one another. All though all could operate the gifts of the Spirit this should be done orderly so all can benefit.

Latter in 1 Cor 12 where it talks about members of the body it is not talking about people in the Church but Christ's body which has many functions (of whom we are to be baptised into) All these functions are important and one cannot do without another. You cannot say I have wisdom but do not have knowledge or you cannot say I have faith but cannot lay hands on the sick. All of these gifts are important and compliment each other.

On the Day of Pentecost God used Speaking in Tongues as a language to speak to foreign speaking people. Others could not understand and thought they were drunk.

I must say I have never understood with my natural mind when I speak in tongues but it is a prayer of faith that builds me up in all things in Christ and gives me insight into the Kingdom of God.

The Apostle Paul said the same that his understanding is unfruitful but thanked God that he prayed in tongues in his private time more than anyone else in the Corinthian Church.

I have heard testimonies of foreign speaking people understanding when some one has spoken in tongues in other countries today but not me personally.

Fred.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

FredFlanders wrote: As you don't know BW, I will tell you. The Love of Christ.

Has that confused you BW? ....

BW,

By the same works that Christ did. All obtained when we receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues.

Fred.
Fred - How do you define the Love of Christ???
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

FredFlanders wrote:
BW,

By the same works that Christ did. All obtained when we receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues.

Fred.
Wow. I didn't know Christ spoke in tongues. And, so, are you going to die on the cross for us too??? Maybe we should all be confused!
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I have heard testimonies of foreign speaking people understanding when some one has spoken in tongues in other countries today but not me personally.
Me too. In Acts 2. I have never witnessed it personally. And by your own admission, neither have you.
If not, then why do you claim to speak in tongues? We have a clear definition of what is tongues and what it is for. Why is your experience contrary then to scripture?
I must say I have never understood with my natural mind when I speak in tongues but it is a prayer of faith that builds me up in all things in Christ and gives me insight into the Kingdom of God.
Really? In what way? How does "never understanding," build you up? Is God a god of confusion?
If I were to tell you that someone reading the bible to me in babbling sounds that I couldn't understand was edifying, would you believe me? Why would you think that the disciples speaking in the day of Pentecost didn't understand what they themselves were saying?

Bottom line is you can not follow the plain contextual meaning in 1 Cor 11-13 and draw such conclusions. Not without going outside the text and failing to rightly divide the Word of truth.
Others could not understand and thought they were drunk.
Yep, and I've seen many wrongly handle this passage as well. This was a testimony against their unbelief and rejection of Christ, not a testimony as to the acts of the disciples themselves. I've seen people acting drunk in church, making a mockery of this scripture.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
FredFlanders
Familiar Member

Post by FredFlanders »

jlay wrote:
Me too. In Acts 2. I have never witnessed it personally. And by your own admission, neither have you.
If not, then why do you claim to speak in tongues? We have a clear definition of what is tongues and what it is for. Why is your experience contrary then to scripture?
Really? In what way? How does "never understanding," build you up? Is God a god of confusion?
If I were to tell you that someone reading the bible to me in babbling sounds that I couldn't understand was edifying, would you believe me? Why would you think that the disciples speaking in the day of Pentecost didn't understand what they themselves were saying?

Bottom line is you can not follow the plain contextual meaning in 1 Cor 11-13 and draw such conclusions. Not without going outside the text and failing to rightly divide the Word of truth.
Others could not understand and thought they were drunk.
Yep, and I've seen many wrongly handle this passage as well. This was a testimony against their unbelief and rejection of Christ, not a testimony as to the acts of the disciples themselves. I've seen people acting drunk in church, making a mockery of this scripture.
Jlay,

You donot believe the Word of God so why would I expect you to believe me?

1 Cor 14 v2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Fred.
FredFlanders
Familiar Member

Post by FredFlanders »

cslewislover wrote:
FredFlanders wrote:
BW,

By the same works that Christ did. Did all obtained when we receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues???

Fred.
Wow. I didn't know Christ spoke in tongues. And, so, are you going to die on the cross for us too??? Maybe we should all be confused!

Yep BW,

God easily confuses you.

I have already died.

Fred.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Fred, THis would be an example of the rhetoric. The question from CSLL was would you die *for us*, not about your old nature.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Fred,
Context man. Obviously Paul is talking about something much different than what happened in Acts 2. That is why "tongues" is not a thing. It is simply the word for language.

It is pretty obvious that in 1 cor 14 Paul was rebuking the Corinthian church for doing something and claiming it to be sourced by God. That being babbling in meetings and claiming it to be some move of God. Not surprising, due to Paul's wording that people somehow take this as an endorsement. Paul was trying to be careful and not say, "you are a bunch of fakers," and at the same time keep order and sound doctrine in the church.

What people do in private is fine with me. There have been plenty of times during private prayer where I had no words to speak, but my heart was still praying in the spirit. There is nothing more clear in this epistle than that unintellegible babbling in the church is NOT genuine. Only interpretable (intellegible) languages. If a stranger were to walk into your church would he hear people babbling?

" So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand[g] or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand[h]comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

But Paul says we will have tongues in corporate worship.

What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue (language) or an interpretation (understanding). All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. 27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret (understand). 28If there is no interpreter (understander), the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

2 Thessalonians 2:9 says, “The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders.”
http://www.speaking-in-tongues.net/
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious