Open Inquery: Gambling?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Joshua
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Open Inquery: Gambling?

Post by Joshua »

Gambling, its a hot topic with me and several friends.(I love Texas Hold'em)

Is it sinfull or not? Is it being a bad steward? Is it the same as theft?(strait from and baptist preacher) Is it only sin when taken to an extreme?

What do you guys and gals think?
The Christian Life is about relationships, not performance.
Daniel
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Open Inquery: Gambling?

Post by Daniel »

I know this puts me in the minority, but I think that a minimal amount of gambling is not inherently sinful as long as this does not affect your ability to take care of your family, because there is a Bible verse that says that if you do not take care of your family, you are worse than an infidel.

People who quote scriptures about being a bad steward are often silent when it comes to things such as putting down $80 for sports tickets when you don't even have the possibility of a return on your money. Gambling isn't the best use of your money, and probably not a good one, but I don't think we can make a clear scriptural determination one way or the other.

I will also add that since gambling is widely perceived as being sinful, it can often be a "stumbling block" before the weaker brother. That must be considered.
Joshua
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Joshua »

I agree with you Daniel on all points. I just can't understand why so many people find it to be a sin or "unChristian". I was curious of what some of the people on this board thought. Most people on here seem to be very learned in scripture.
The Christian Life is about relationships, not performance.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Daniel wrote:I know this puts me in the minority, but I think that a minimal amount of gambling is not inherently sinful as long as this does not affect your ability to take care of your family, because there is a Bible verse that says that if you do not take care of your family, you are worse than an infidel.

People who quote scriptures about being a bad steward are often silent when it comes to things such as putting down $80 for sports tickets when you don't even have the possibility of a return on your money. Gambling isn't the best use of your money, and probably not a good one, but I don't think we can make a clear scriptural determination one way or the other.

I will also add that since gambling is widely perceived as being sinful, it can often be a "stumbling block" before the weaker brother. That must be considered.
I would agree with you on this :esmile:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

You don't need to gamble to play Texas Hold'em. It is just a game. You can gamble on any game, but that doesn't mean playing games are bad if gambling is bad.

Some find gambling like a drug. Compulsive gambling, that is, feeling the need to gamble, is bad. It will lead to all sorts of issues. Of course a way to avoid getting addicted to it, is to avoid it altogether just like alcohol or any drug. For each person, the risk of addiction is different. You understand your self better than anyone else, so it is up to you to make an informed judgment call given what you know about yourself.