Narnia

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
MarkyMark7
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Narnia

Post by MarkyMark7 »

I recently finished the Narnia books, and was wondering who else had read them.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Narnia

Post by Canuckster1127 »

MarkyMark7 wrote:I recently finished the Narnia books, and was wondering who else had read them.
I have. Some of my favorite books.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

LOVE, LOVE , LOVE them....

"He is not a tame lion..."
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
MarkyMark7
Familiar Member

Post by MarkyMark7 »

Hehe I love that quote...Some of the most amazing books ever! Which are your favorites of them?
A Quote from Prince Caspian (Aslan speaking to Caspian): "You come from of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperors on earth. Be content."

Sorry if I offend you in an apologetical discussion, I can be very crude.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Hmm,

LOve the Lion, Withm and Wardrobe

The others I can pick my favorite parts.

The scene from Prince Caspian about the stream

The scene from the Voyage of the Dawn Treader with Edmund (dragon/regeneration)...stunning

The Horse and the Boy--the picture of God drawing us to Him and revealing Himself to us according to what we need (cat versus lion)

The Silver Chair...the remorse she feels over forgetting teh signs Aslan tells her, the importance of studying God's word
(and I like Puddleglum...) and the defense Puddleglum gives at the end

The Magician's Nephew....the beautiful depiction of the creation of Narnia (I need to read that one again)

The LAst Battle....the beautiful depiction of heaven at the end.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

The Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe for me too... That's about it for me.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
MarkyMark7
Familiar Member

Post by MarkyMark7 »

Hehe alot of the same parts I really enjoyed too, especially the one from The Horse and His Boy.
A Quote from Prince Caspian (Aslan speaking to Caspian): "You come from of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperors on earth. Be content."

Sorry if I offend you in an apologetical discussion, I can be very crude.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

I enjoyed Puddleglum the most! He is kind of like a Mono Toned Pastor with a "hear ye Hear ye" but when it comes down to fighting off the Witch he is straight to the Point and never backs down! Simply Awesome! I love Reep too. No Fear!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I love the Narnia books, and I like The Magician's Nephew the most. This is for a few reasons. I absolutely love the creation section, with it's descriptions and the various people's responses. This book is funny, has a lot of variety in it, a lot of action, and a lot of real emotion. If done right, I think it would make the best movie; The Last Battle would make for a great movie too.

So what do you think of the movie "Prince Caspian"? I think it's good. It's one of the only movies I like that doesn't follow the original book too closely.

What do you think the film makers will do with the Calormens? Will they leave them be Arab- or Middle Eastern-like?
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

cslewislover wrote:I love the Narnia books, and I like The Magician's Nephew the most. This is for a few reasons. I absolutely love the creation section, with it's descriptions and the various people's responses. This book is funny, has a lot of variety in it, a lot of action, and a lot of real emotion. If done right, I think it would make the best movie; The Last Battle would make for a great movie too.

So what do you think of the movie "Prince Caspian"? I think it's good. It's one of the only movies I like that doesn't follow the original book too closely.

What do you think the film makers will do with the Calormens? Will they leave them be Arab- or Middle Eastern-like?
Saw Prince Caspian the other night. I was disappointed in how far they came off the book. oh well it was a good Movie however and made me want to get the books to read them.
chizum
Newbie Member

Post by chizum »

Read the entire series a year or two ago. I must say I was a little disappointed. That's probably because my mom/cousins had built it waaaayyyyyy up though.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

@chizum, I could see that happening. Lewis' books are the classics in Children's fantasy though. There have been so many since then with the genre just getting bigger and bigger, it seems. I'd read them again sometime and then see what you think.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

THe best thing about Lewis's writings are that the more you read them the more powerful some of the passages are. I'm not going to say they are the best out there, but what is good about them, is Very good.

Prince Caspian is one of my least favorites as en entire book and yet contains two wonderful scenes.

Lucy discovering Aslan, their reunion, and her finding out that Aslan is bigger and his response to her. As she gets bigger he will too.

And Reepicheep's dialogue with Aslan about his tail.

But honestly, I really like "The Silver Chair", "The Magicians' Nephew", "The HOrse and His Boy" and "The Last Battle" much better.
chizum
Newbie Member

Post by chizum »

cslewislover wrote:@chizum, I could see that happening. Lewis' books are the classics in Children's fantasy though. There have been so many since then with the genre just getting bigger and bigger, it seems. I'd read them again sometime and then see what you think.
I'll definetely re-read them when I can. To give you some idea of my hype though: one of my cousins changed the name of his company from his last name to Aslan, and another cousin runs a Narnia fan club, so it was really hyped up for me, I'd been hearing about it all my life. Still, I found the series very enjoyable.
He has risen
Newbie Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by He has risen »

Hey guys this is my first post, I love the book and had the funniest experience.

I had a mushroom strogonoff in a lovely Cafe in Amsterdam (i think it was by the Greenhouse and the British Bulldog). I heard a roaringcoming from the bar, initially i thought it was a disgruntled customer. But NO! it was a bearded man who took an uncanny resemblence to Jesus/Aslan. Truely a miracle.

Sorry if this is too out there.