Uncultured brutes

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Uncultured brutes

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I took an oil painting class last year. One evening, the woman painting on the table next to me struck up a conversation. After about a couple of hours of chit-chat, she asked me "what do you do for a living?"

-I'm a truck driver.
-You are not a truck driver!
-Yes, I am.
-I don't believe you...came her reply
-We're not all uncultured brutes, I said.

She turned out to be a lawyer. When I found out, I resisted the urge to make a crucifix with my fingers and back away in fright...

Which brings me to my point: pre-conceived notions. Usually, they serve a purpose by giving us a heads up about what we can expect. In this sense, they are useful and help us deal with life on a day-to-day basis: they save time, period.

I enjoy fine* scotch. When I tell this to other born-again Christians, I either get a funny look - as if I'd just admitted to slashing my wrists - or I get a speach on the "evils of alcohol" or biblical quotes about "strong drink." I usually reply with Romans 14, but nobody listens.

This is my "Coming out:" I enjoy scotch.

FL

*"fine" as in "very expensive."
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Uncultured brutes

Post by zoegirl »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

How dare you!!

(just kidding)

I will admit that I enjoy a glass of good wine with a meal, although I usually abstain. If I go to my favorite mexican restaurant, I will order a frozen marguerita. Thankfully, they go with the traditionally smaller size instead of the ridiculously outrageous sizes of other restauratns. Even then , I usually don't finish it. I nurse the wine throughout the meal and never get a second glass.

I think the issue will always be whether we are in control of our bodies.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

F.L., I personally see nothing wrong with having a strong drink occasionally. It is when we overdo it that we get ourselves in trouble, and from what you have said, you don't overdo it. One should not let another person judge him on anything, since we all get judged eventually. If someone tries, just ignore them. Remember anything you do is between you and God. He is our final judge. :wave:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

zoegirl wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

How dare you!!

(just kidding)

I will admit that I enjoy a glass of good wine with a meal, although I usually abstain. If I go to my favorite mexican restaurant, I will order a frozen marguerita. Thankfully, they go with the traditionally smaller size instead of the ridiculously outrageous sizes of other restauratns. Even then , I usually don't finish it. I nurse the wine throughout the meal and never get a second glass.

I think the issue will always be whether we are in control of our bodies.
We have a sense in America for some reason that this is a sin and yet, Jesus drank wine, he performed a miracle to provide wine for a wedding for not other apparant reason other than the enjoyment of those present and the reputation of the host. The pharisee called Jesus a drunkard.

Sadly, those pharisees would be welcome in more Churches than Jesus to my observation.

Gluttony doesn't have the same stigma. I can show up to a church board meeting and weigh 350 lbs as long as I don't have alcohol on my breath.

There's plenty of good reason to abstain if that is what God leads you to do. Alcoholism is a serious problem. The Bible clearly condemns drunkenness. As Christians however we have freedom in this realm and to attempt to make it a deadly sin in effect says to God that He got it wrong and our standards are higher than His.

My opinion anyway.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

:cheers:
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Kurieuo wrote::cheers:
Very cute, K! :shakehead:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

jenna wrote:
Kurieuo wrote::cheers:
Very cute, K! :shakehead:
Ks from down under. it's all ok. :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Well,

I must say that I'm surprised with the posts here. I was really expecting my "coming out" to get me the cold shoulder.

Thank you!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Well,

I must say that I'm surprised with the posts here. I was really expecting my "coming out" to get me the cold shoulder.

Thank you!

FL
Don't be so surprised! We all are just a bunch of peace loving hippies here (well, I am anyway). :whistle: Shut your mouth, FFC. y:-$
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I had some *fine scotch prepared by my roommate once-little scotch, water, ice...tasted like a rubber band dipped in glue. Do you get over that flavor after a while?

PS, is this you?

"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I had some *fine scotch prepared by my roommate once-little scotch, water, ice...tasted like a rubber band dipped in glue. Do you get over that flavor after a while?

PS, is this you?

Who exactly are you asking? That's a redneck, not a hippie! y=;
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

get "r" done!!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

zoegirl wrote:get "r" done!!!
:pound:
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I had some *fine scotch prepared by my roommate once-little scotch, water, ice...tasted like a rubber band dipped in glue. Do you get over that flavor after a while?

PS, is this you?

I went to school with him. ;) No joke. :wave:
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

Canuckster1127 wrote:

PS, is this you?

I went to school with him. ;) No joke. :wave:
He is Canadian?!? :esurprised: :shock: y:O2
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?