School problems

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
andyredeemed
Recognized Member
Christian: No

School problems

Post by andyredeemed »

My son's school wants him to read a Phillip Pullman book for his English Literacy class. If you have ever read anything by this guy, then you will understand my concerns about this. (he was one of the reviewers quoted on the sleeve of Dawkins' The God Delusion). This is about the third time in three years I have felt that I had to intervene in my children's education due to what I considered inappropriate subject matter.
I have heard that many American Christian parents are turning to home education for this reason (among others).
Well, I have a dilemma. I really want my kids to be "salt of the earth" and to be "in the world, not of it" etc. but can they do this if they are taken out of mainstream education? Am I just being over-protective?
I'm not really looking for advice, but I'd like to know your opinions on the matter.
:?
God is good
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: School problems

Post by zoegirl »

Speaking from someone who teaches in a Christian school, there is something to be said for teaching your son from a Christian worldview (that includes exposing him to other worldviews but exposing them for the false teaching that they are). They are still salt to the world (especially since not all our students are Christian, so they are witnesses to them as well as those in heir college)

Speaking from someone who went to public schools (Although I am sure they have become worse over the last twenty years), the foundation you provide as a parent is still the most important. My family life, my parents teachings, became my foundations.

either way, you can help your son see the false teaching from this book (although I haven't read it). I had to read Kurt Vonnegut's books, Slaughterhouse five and Cat's Cradle, quite vivd books, to say the least. AS much as I didn't like them, can't say they they swayed me, but they did show me that I must be able to defend my position.

I've never personally liked the argument for going to public school simply to be a witness. To me it seems like sending your child off to battle when they aren't ready or prepared. BUT, you can help your son either way. Private schooling or home schooling should still expose children to the arguments of the world.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

I understand your concern, Andy, when I read the following from Wikipedia:
Pullman is a Distinguished Supporter of the British Humanist Association and an Honorary Associate of the National Secular Society.

The His Dark Materials books have been at the heart of controversy, especially with certain Christian groups. Some, including Peter Hitchens, claim that he actively pursues an anti-Christian agenda.[4] Proponents of this view cite the critical articles he has written regarding C. S. Lewis' series The Chronicles of Narnia (which Pullman denounces as religious propaganda), and the usually negative portrayal of the "Church" in His Dark Materials.

The two series have some resemblance. Both feature children facing adult moral choices, talking animals, religious allegories, parallel worlds, and concern the ultimate fate of those worlds. The first published Narnia book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, begins with a young girl hiding in a wardrobe, as does the first His Dark Materials book, Northern Lights (published as The Golden Compass in the US). Pullman's hatred of the Narnia books is shared by some liberal commentators such as Polly Toynbee.[5]

Some, including Hitchens again, have seen the His Dark Materials series as a direct rebuttal of C. S. Lewis's series.[6] Pullman has also criticised the way Lewis excludes the character Susan from the final 'heaven' scenes in The Last Battle, saying she is rejected for her growing worldliness.[7] Lewis devotees argue that Pullman has read too deeply into this; Lewis made no statement about Susan's ultimate destiny, and never excluded the possibility of her rejoining her friends in heaven later, as they are dead and she is still alive.

However, Pullman has found support from other Christians, most notably Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury. These groups and individuals point out that Pullman's attacks are focused on the constraints of dogmatism and the use of religion to oppress, not on Christianity itself. Dr. Williams has gone so far as to propose that His Dark Materials be taught as part of religious education in schools. Moreover, even authors of works dedicated to critical appraisals of religious themes in his writing have described Pullman as a friendly and generous debating partner[8].
Source
Although raised an Anglican, I am not exactly enamoured of Rowan Williams therefore do not consider his counsel necessarily to be that wise - not in other matters, therefore maybe not in this one either.

I do remember hearing somewhere of a father who allowed his children to read quite widely but with one proviso - that they discussed the book fully with him when they had done so. The father then used the book, and the thoughts that the child had about it, as a teaching opportunity to explore the ideas and develop them more critically. I wonder, Andy, if this might be an option to consider? Your child, if developing a Christian world view, might learn to critique the material from such a perspective and have some interesting things to present in a review of it in class work.

Unfortunately we cannot wrap our kids in cottonwool and keep them from being in the world. They do need to learn about the world, and how to handle it as Christians. It is a challenge, but it could be one that brings benefits through strengthening them to deal with other issues further along the path.

My suggestion is perhaps a compromise, but maybe not a bad one.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

That is a very tricky one. I am a teacher and sometimes I am put in a situation when I have to teach something that goes against my beliefs a little bit. As far as books go though I think as long as they know it is fiction then I don't see a problem. I personally really like the Harry Potter books and Lord of the Rings, and actually some horror. But that is just me. Like I said, unless they know it is fiction and you gently remind your children that it is then It should be ok. Like I said it is a tough one though.

If they had to read "The God Delusion" (although that is a work of fiction :D ) then I would probably complain.

Pray about it and let the spirit guide your decision.

Silvertusk
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Judah wrote:I do remember hearing somewhere of a father who allowed his children to read quite widely but with one proviso - that they discussed the book fully with him when they had done so. The father then used the book, and the thoughts that the child had about it, as a teaching opportunity to explore the ideas and develop them more critically. I wonder, Andy, if this might be an option to consider? Your child, if developing a Christian world view, might learn to critique the material from such a perspective and have some interesting things to present in a review of it in class work.

Unfortunately we cannot wrap our kids in cottonwool and keep them from being in the world. They do need to learn about the world, and how to handle it as Christians. It is a challenge, but it could be one that brings benefits through strengthening them to deal with other issues further along the path.
Now here are some wisdom filled words! Good job, Judah.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?