Music

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Music

Post by Enigma7457 »

Not sure where this type of thread belongs.

We got on a rabbit trail on another thread and we started discussing music. I know what i think, but does anyone see a problem with rock n roll (or other forms of music) as being used to worship? I love rock n roll. (i know there is an article already about this). Does anyone see a problem with worshiping to rock?

Also, there is a rap song (not a rap fan, my son is) called Jesus Walks. Great song. I don't take to rap, but the words are powerful. Just curious to see what others think (Also, if anyone knows any good christian bands, please include. I have trouble finding them.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Music

Post by zoegirl »

Enigma7457 wrote:Not sure where this type of thread belongs.

We got on a rabbit trail on another thread and we started discussing music. I know what i think, but does anyone see a problem with rock n roll (or other forms of music) as being used to worship? I love rock n roll. (i know there is an article already about this). Does anyone see a problem with worshiping to rock?

Also, there is a rap song (not a rap fan, my son is) called Jesus Walks. Great song. I don't take to rap, but the words are powerful. Just curious to see what others think (Also, if anyone knows any good christian bands, please include. I have trouble finding them.
I have no problem with it, I was only tweaking, altough personally I do favor classical first, but I like bluegrass, some country, and some of the good classic rock.

AS for worship, again no problem but I an old fogey (sp?) when it comes to music, like the hymns and only a few praise songs
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

Zoe, i think you nailed the spelling on fogey. Just for fun, i looked it up on Dictionary.com.
fogey
"an old, dull fellow," 1780, Scottish foggie, originally "army pensioner or veteran," perhaps connected to fogram (1775) "old-fashioned person;" or from fog in obsolete senses of "moss" or "bloated fat" (1586).
:lol:
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I don't think the beat or the way musical notes are put together really matters at all. I believe it is all about the words and message of the music. There is Christian music in all genres such as Rap, country, Metal, industrial rock, punk etc. If it is glorifying the Lord and lifting His name on high I personally don't see any problem at all with any of it. I don't think my church would like to have their worship Rap style but in certain areas it may be a perfect fit.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

I like most hymns too. How Great Thou Art is the best. I have a CD by a group called Selah. Not a great CD but they have How Great Thou Art and it makes me stop in my tracks. Amazing, amazing song.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Enigma7457 wrote:Zoe, i think you nailed the spelling on fogey. Just for fun, i looked it up on Dictionary.com.
fogey
"an old, dull fellow," 1780, Scottish foggie, originally "army pensioner or veteran," perhaps connected to fogram (1775) "old-fashioned person;" or from fog in obsolete senses of "moss" or "bloated fat" (1586).
:lol:
old, dull fellow...so that's what 's wrong with me :D :shock:

I'm one of the few people in their thirtysomething's that actually loves to go see Hayden's Creation (at least that I've met) or who actually played classical tapes in their walkman (what's a walkman?) in high school.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Well, I'm a huge fan of symphony orchestra music from the classical and romantic periods, and in particular violin and piano concertos of the great masters. I could get far more specific but wont bother boring you all. :wink:

You could always peruse Judah's Journal if you are really interested - especially here.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

I tend to listen to the Baroque masters, although I also like some of the classical and Romantic.

Vivaldi, Handel, and Bach!!

Although Beethoven

AS for hymns, And CAn it Be!! Awesome!!
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

I agree with you on "And can it be" - simply fantastic.

I love Beethoven and a great many other of the "greats".
Have just had some excellent news... that Finnish conductor Pietari Inkinen has been appointed as Director of Music for our NZ Symphony Orchestra. He is extremely talented, an accomplished violinist as well, and only 27 years old but a real asset. I am hoping for lots more Sibelius now - and especially the violin concerto played by either our Finnish concertmaster, or by Siberian virtuoso Vadim Repin whose playing is absolutely exquisite.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

But on the fun side....dueling banjos!! (although what a hideous movie it came from)
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

FFC wrote:I don't think the beat or the way musical notes are put together really matters at all. I believe it is all about the words and message of the music. There is Christian music in all genres such as Rap, country, Metal, industrial rock, punk etc. If it is glorifying the Lord and lifting His name on high I personally don't see any problem at all with any of it. I don't think my church would like to have their worship Rap style but in certain areas it may be a perfect fit.
I agree totally. I have heard of heavy metal worship music. I think you should be allowed to worship God in any way that suits you as long as you are keeping to the core message of the Gospel and your heart is right and it is for God.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Jesus what a friend for sinners...

I can barely get through that hymn without starting to cry....