Swearing

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

Mastermind wrote:How about you just let it be? Swearing is only as bad as you feel it is. The occasional cuss word when you bang your head into a wall isn't going to kill you. It's also a useful way to vent anger, instead of pounding somebody in the face.
Is it good to vent unrighteous anger? Proverbs 19:11

Knight, I'm telling this to me as much as I'm telling this to you mate - Enjoy your liberty in the Spirit but make sure it doesn't slip you into scripturally attested sin. Ecclesiastes 11:9
Maranatha!
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I apologise, because my original post lacked some vital information. Swearing is a problem because Jesus said it is a result of a man's heart. It is not the swearing itself that is the problem, it is the feelings that one experiences(IE, anger). Forcing yourself to stop swearing isn't going to do jack. All it's going to do is make you want to swear even more, or hit somebody as your anger takes control of you. The problem must be dealt with at the heart of it so to say. Solve the problem at the root, and deal with your anger. Forcing yourself to stop swearing will do nothing for that.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nicely put Mastermind.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

I mostly agree with Mastermind here... Esspeically in regards to Romans 14. The concept here is that the Holy Spirit will convict us of wrong actions, in those lesser things in life. I would consider tatoos less of an issue as swearing... For there is considerable scriptural support that swearing is wrong:

James 3:6-12
The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

James 1:26
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

Now, having said that, I temper that with the fact that most profanity is culturally influenced. Certain words are profanity in one culture but just normal words in another. To that end, the meaning behind a swear is important, as is the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

For what it's worth, I still struggle with controlling my swearing too. It seems among some company it's no problem but among others it can be. But in the end we should all endevour to swear as rarely as is possible - and we do this through the strengthening of our will by the Holy Spirit, because our ability to resist sin comes monstly from God working through us, rather than by any strength of our own. Though, (much like those lustfull thoughts that sneek in) there are some for whom it will be a lifelong process. Take heart though, for we are sinners yet we are saved by God's amazing grace.