Christmas To Be Banned

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.

Will Christmas Be Banned In The Near Future

Yes (Explain)
21%
No (Explain)
79%

Total votes: 14

thereal
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by thereal »

Also, I don't think another claim of yours is correct-I think a good majority of people do in fact agree on what's right in wrong, and differences between cultures can be chocked up to different perspectives. CS Lewis says that if you take the time to look at the moral systems of several cultures...they do agree a lot.
Agreed...I didn't mean to suggest that out there somewhere there exists a country whose national pastime is homocide or anything of the sort!
But how does having a federal holiday support, in any way, Christianity?
For lack of a better way to put it, the fact that the federal government has declared December 25th a national holiday shows that they are recognizing the religious importance of this day while not doing the same for other religions and their holidays (not that that would be legal either) or just leaving the whole significance of that day in the hands of the indivdual as it should be. Maybe it was done in the interest of not having to process 10 million absence request slips all for the same day because it was assumed no one would be coming to work, but that doesn't really make a difference. In essence, the federal government is "endorsing" Christianity above all other religions not represented.

P.S. You still haven't given me an answer to one of my original questions...what do you think "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." means?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

P.S. You still haven't given me an answer to one of my original questions...what do you think "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." means?
That Congress cannot establish a state religion and support it (financially, or legally, or any other way that I can't think of at the moment). But I do not see how it is necessarily true that letting federal workers get off for that day constitutes establishing a religion.
I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up - they have no holidays.
- Henny Youngman
Last edited by AttentionKMartShoppers on Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Because U.S.A. was founded upon Judeo-Christian grounds! No other religion. It is the "imports" and liberal atheists (like yourself) among others that are bringing the government to their knees and just have them get rid of it all. If you are so offended, go be an activist and move out of the U.S.A. After all, this:
threal wrote:
Believer wrote:I've been to several Walmarts within the metro area, and they still say Merry Christmas to me and I say thank you and have a good one too. If people are offended, they can 1.) go back to their country and/or 2.) they can simply look away from things that burn their eyes and plug their ears to things that make their ears bleed. Silly people.
Just the bigoted attitude I would expect from a "Christian"..
was very offensive. I am not the only one to mention this thereal. Watch the news lately? After all, 94% of America believes in God of Christianity according to the newest Gallup poll. More people are coming to faith, not less. Atheism seems to drive non-believers to belive!
Last edited by Believer on Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Maybe there are very good reasons why Amercia should embrace Christian beliefs including Christmas, regardless and perhaps over what other religions believe. I'll let a Jewish organisation defend this point for me:
Why would a group of Jews - who don't celebrate Christmas - care about the disappearance of Christmas?

Because Christmas is disappearing from our culture, at an ever-accelerating pace - disappearing from stores, disappearing from schools and disappearing from the public square.

Because this is an overwhelmingly Christian nation and it's a matter of simple courtesy to acknowledge a holiday celebrated by 96% of the American people. Would a Christian living in Israel be offended if someone wished them a Happy Hanukah? Based on population, America is more Christian than Israel is Jewish.

Because religion - all religion which teaches God and morality -- enriches our society, instead of diminishing it.

Because Christmas is part of the fabric of American life, from the earliest settlements on these shores, to the delightful 1897 New York Sun editorial (addressed to a little girl named Virginia), to the troops who celebrated Christmas in Europe and the Pacific during World War II, to classics like "Miracle on 34th. Street," to the Americans serving in Iraq today.

I believe Christmas is under attack primarily for three reasons.

First the tyranny of the hypersensitive -- who've decided that they have an inalienable right not to encounter beliefs or symbols different from their own.

But this is supposed to be a democracy. When exactly was a militant and perpetually aggrieved minority given the power to censor the majority religion?

Second, some over-zealous officials have taken it upon themselves to re-interpret the First Amendment to exclude any public recognition of Christmas. But the Supreme Court has never held that Christmas carols or Christmas decorations in schools, or community Christmas trees or Christmas parties are unconstitutional.

Of course, if the politically correct posse can't get you on constitutional grounds, they always have "sensitivity" or "inclusiveness" to fall back on.

Finally, I believe, there's a subliminal urge on the part of the cultural elite to undermine America's Judeo-Christian ethic. By purging public celebrations (or even acknowledgements) of Christmas, they hope move us further down the road to a spiritually sanitized - and spiritually bankrupt -- America, one divorced from biblical values.

Christmas is a subtle reminder that Americans are people of faith.

Jews Against Anti-Christian Defamation is here today to say "enough, already!"

If you're offended by a municipal Christmas tree or Santa in a holiday parade or a manger in a park - Get over it. There's a lot that offends me. That doesn't give me the right to ban it.

If you're a public-school administrator who thinks Christmas carols or decorations are in violation of the First Amendment, read the Constitution - even in light of the Supreme Court's current distortions thereof.

If you're a retailer who does 20% of his business during the Christmas season, and you won't even acknowledge the holiday that's enriching you - well, you deserve to lose that business.

The war on Christmas should matter to all people of faith - and all people of good will.

http://www.jews4fairness.org/pr120105.php
Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
madharasi
Newbie Member

Christmas can never be banned from the hearts of christians

Post by madharasi »

Christmas is not just a holiday, but it reminds us of the birth of the almighty god, willing to be crucified for an ungrateful human race. It is a festival of love and peace for the people destined to be saved. Who cares for atheists or antichristian groups? I believe that true christians live christmas everyday. Persecutions and troubles cant stop you from loving Jesus.
Iggy
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Iggy »

ok, i dont know yet how to put a quote on here, but the first post said something like the people that dont like christmas should leave america. that's the wrong attitude! i've fought for this country the last 4 yrs and will continue to do so so people CAN come here and be free, who are you to tell them they can't come here? Next, this is NOT a christian nation, sad but true. this country was founded by the indians and they had thier own beliefs and we tore that away from them. since then, it's a nation of all beliefs. if you dont like it, maybe YOU should be the one to leave. i think canada still has christmas.

Now, to all those that probably think IM anti-God or whatever... im not. i dont want them to ban christmas, but in a way i do. It's just not about jesus anymore... and that makes me sad. people are too greedy and focused on gifts and money and such. the media and stores and malls have made it about them. it's not what it used to be, and a christmas without jesus in it, isnt worth having.