Questions about God

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Questions about God

Post by SUGAAAAA »

barely starting my Christian walk, I dont know much about the nature or personality of God. Maybe some of you, having more experience, can help answer some of my questions. I hope they dont appear absurd or illogical, but who knows...

Can God grow a liking to creations from us humans, such as art and music? can he grow to like some music more than other kinds, or some bands more than others? Can he like, or dislike art and paintings by us humans?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Questions about God

Post by Believer »

SUGAAAAA wrote:barely starting my Christian walk, I dont know much about the nature or personality of God. Maybe some of you, having more experience, can help answer some of my questions. I hope they dont appear absurd or illogical, but who knows...

Can God grow a liking to creations from us humans, such as art and music? can he grow to like some music more than other kinds, or some bands more than others? Can he like, or dislike art and paintings by us humans?
God created all, He gave it to us, not us to Him. I believe that God knew what He already liked and what He didn't like, as this can be seen through everything in the world of manmade things.
Last edited by Believer on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Sugaaaaa, I understand that God does delight in our music... or at least, that of it which is joyous. He loves you to sing and dance in praise of him.

Look at these verses to see what I mean.
Psalm 33:1 Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him.
Psalm 100:2 Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.

2 Samuel 6:14 David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might
Judges 5:3 "Hear this, you kings! Listen, you rulers! I will sing to the LORD, I will sing; I will make music to the LORD, the God of Israel.

1 Chronicles 15:16 David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their brothers as singers to sing joyful songs, accompanied by musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.
1 Chronicles 23:5 Four thousand are to be gatekeepers and four thousand are to praise the LORD with the musical instruments I have provided for that purpose."

2 Chronicles 5:12 All the Levites who were musicians—Asaph, Heman, Jeduthun and their sons and relatives—stood on the east side of the altar, dressed in fine linen and playing cymbals, harps and lyres. They were accompanied by 120 priests sounding trumpets.

Psalm 45:8 All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia; from palaces adorned with ivory the music of the strings makes you glad

Psalm 47: 1 Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.
If the music that you are making glorifies God, then it is certainly acceptable to Him and obviously appreciated by Him.

When it comes to art work, I don't know of any Bible verses that mention it (which doesn't mean that there are not any) but there is the following commandment to note:
Exodus 20:4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
These "images" are representations of false gods or idols which we must not worship or serve. They are not, to my understanding, paintings like those of the great artists.

However, anything can become your idol or false god if you make it more important than God Himself.

BTW, those are good questions.
Keep asking any more that you have.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

I guess what I truly meant to ask is if God can like things more than other things, even if they arent necessarily meant to glorify him or not glorify him.

:?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
August
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Can you give some examples? If we use our God-given talents in a constructive way, and not in conflict with God's commandments, we are glorifying Him.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Iggy
Recognized Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Iggy »

i get what your saying.... something like... could God be a dallas cowboys fan, rather than a Phil. Eagles fan... and to that i'd say he's a dallas/san fran fan... i mean, come on, they have the most superbowls in NFL history!!! :D