FLAT EARTH ANYBODY?

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Hope67
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

FLAT EARTH ANYBODY?

Post by Hope67 »

Ok...seems to be a new buzz in the air. Some people on the circuits are really delving into the flat earth theory. They are arguing about the horizon and the lines of sight, the very few " pictures" of earth we see over and over again, this all around use of fish eye lenses on the ISS, cable wires attached to astronauts in " deep space, NO ONE is allowed to fly or explore the arctic south poles, etc...makes my eyebrows go up. The rationale is that the prince of this world will stop at nothing to convince man kind that we are a speck in a very large universe that revolves around a star. Flat earthers are of the mind that man is created in image of God, placed on a plane surrounded by a dome/ firmament and that the heavenly bodies revolve around us as the pinnacle of creation. I've long since given up trying to think I understand ANYTHInG in this high strangeness called life...so I'm opening the floor to all of you great thinkers. Do some searching, go through the math, and please tell me what you think! Biblical reference would trump any other data!!! HEEEELLLPPPPPPP!!!!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: FLAT EARTH ANYBODY?

Post by RickD »

When I look outside my door, the earth certainly looks flat to me! But I live in Florida, where the highest point above sea level is Britton Hill, which is only 345 feet above sea level.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:When I look outside my door, the earth certainly looks flat to me! But I live in Florida, where the highest point above sea level is Britton Hill, which is only 345 feet above sea level.
You live in the mountain foothills in Florida - the world drops off soon after that... :mrgreen:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Hope67
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Hope67 »

Now, now....I'm looking for scripture...not a geography lesson. Just a wild concept and want to know if there is interpretation from a biblical perspective. So far I have that the earth is on pillars, there are four corners for winds, the sun stopped rotating during a battle and God "fixed" the heavenly bodies for signs and seasons. God speaks of the sun rising in the east....not the earth rolling around...just a thought...I don't know WHAT to make of it.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Hope67 wrote:Now, now....I'm looking for scripture...not a geography lesson. Just a wild concept and want to know if there is interpretation from a biblical perspective. So far I have that the earth is on pillars, there are four corners for winds, the sun stopped rotating during a battle and God "fixed" the heavenly bodies for signs and seasons. God speaks of the sun rising in the east....not the earth rolling around...just a thought...I don't know WHAT to make of it.
Isaiah 40:22 NASB, " It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in."

No the bible does not teach a flat earth... how mush more specific can it be?

The others you mentioned are used as metaphors.
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Hope67 wrote:Now, now....I'm looking for scripture...not a geography lesson. Just a wild concept and want to know if there is interpretation from a biblical perspective. So far I have that the earth is on pillars, there are four corners for winds, the sun stopped rotating during a battle and God "fixed" the heavenly bodies for signs and seasons. God speaks of the sun rising in the east....not the earth rolling around...just a thought...I don't know WHAT to make of it.
While there are certainly interpretations of the biblical text that backs a flat earth, they are faulty interpretations.
If you want to see how flat Earthers think, and how they use their faulty interpretations of scripture, and their denial of reality, take a look at this:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/
Just a fair warning though...it's not a joke. They really believe the earth is flat.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

To be honest the earth may well be flat - and the entire universe for that matter. I am sure I read somewhere that we are actually living in a 2D reality but it is our brains that are projecting a 3D perspective.

y:-/ y:-/ y:O2 y:O2 :shock: :shock:
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

The universe may indeed be flat but I doubt it would make sense to any layman, its hard enough as it is.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

Silvertusk wrote:To be honest the earth may well be flat - and the entire universe for that matter. I am sure I read somewhere that we are actually living in a 2D reality but it is our brains that are projecting a 3D perspective.

y:-/ y:-/ y:O2 y:O2 :shock: :shock:
Maybe in this case, the universe is 3D and people have 2D brains?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Some folks have WD40 brains because of how slick they are... living in a 2D duck-tape world y*-:)
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

My question would be, if the earth was flat, how would it be possible to fly over both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans between the continents? I think airline pilots would be aware they were flying in some kind of arc to stay over the ocean and give the illusion of traversing either of those oceans, if it was not possible to actually circle the globe.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Nicki wrote:My question would be, if the earth was flat, how would it be possible to fly over both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans between the continents? I think airline pilots would be aware they were flying in some kind of arc to stay over the ocean and give the illusion of traversing either of those oceans, if it was not possible to actually circle the globe.
No the earth is not flat - the universe is!!

Earth is the middle of a giant flat man-sandwich waiting to be gobbled up by a hungry depleted quark whose other half told him to make his own sandwich...

:mrgreen:
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

LOL! :ebiggrin:
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nicki wrote:My question would be, if the earth was flat, how would it be possible to fly over both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans between the continents? I think airline pilots would be aware they were flying in some kind of arc to stay over the ocean and give the illusion of traversing either of those oceans, if it was not possible to actually circle the globe.
Here's a flat earth map. See for yourself.

-Edward R Murrow

Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

If there earth was not a globe it would be a lot easier to navigate, like you said, they have to adjust a straight flight into an arc, or turning points.