Is the Archangel Michael and Jesus the same person.?

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
bluefortrue
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bluefortrue »

Personally, I think they are. y:-?

Would you like to share your thoughts on this.?

Michael is mentioned five times in the Bible.
All scripture citations are from the King James Version.

Daniel 10:13 - But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.
Daniel 10:21 - But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.
Daniel 12:1 - And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Jude 9 - Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
Revelation 12:7-9 - And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Is the Archangel Michael and Jesus the same person.?

Post by RickD »

No. Michael is a created being. Jesus is God.

Jude 1:9:
9 But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

If Michael was Jesus, he would have the authority to rebuke the devil himself. As we can see from Jude 1:9, he doesn't have that authority.

Michael being Jesus, is a Watchtower(Jehovah's Witness) heresy.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

bluefortrue wrote:Is the Archangel Michael and Jesus the same person.?
Nope. Jesus is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The three references from Daniel you gave speak of Michael as prince; a prince is no king and Michael will never be king because his King has life eternal.

Are you a Jehovah's Witness?

FL y:-/
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Bluefortrue,

Please respond to posts made in the topics you started. This is a discussion board, not your personal blog.

Thank You,

Your friendly neighborhood moderator klown
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Rick, look at this link http://jehovah.to/xlation/ar.html

bluefortrue's post is very very similar.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

JW's believe that Christ is the human form of the ArchAngel Michael.
The believe there is only 1 archangel.
The issues with that view are many of course.

It should be noted that Daniel calls Michael ONE of the chief princes, which if Michael is the pre-incarnate Christ makes Christ simple "one of" and also implies there is more than one "chief prince".
That in Revelation Michael is noted as a different and distinct person from The Lamb/Christ also shows they are NOT the same person.
Hebrews makes it clear that Christ is above the angels.
Isiah's prophecy notes that Christ will be called "might God, everlasting father, prince of peace" and so forth BUT never mentions Him being an angel.

In short, there is NO reason to believe that Michael is anything other than an archangel ( one of a group according to Daniel).
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

bluefortrue wrote: All scripture citations are from the King James Version.
Why are you not using the New World Translation Version Abortion?

I really don't see how someone would actually want to become a JW. Despite the fact that there are so many problems with their theology, they are utterly hopeless to boot unless they're one of Jehova's chosen. If they do what they're supposed to do, and are not an elect, they will actually cease to exist and the Jehova will recreate them from memory in the new creation. Don't they understand that this actually won't technically be them?
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

bluefortrue wrote:Is the Archangel Michael and Jesus the same person.?

Would you like to share your thoughts on this.?

Michael is mentioned five times in the Bible.
All scripture citations are from the King James Version.

Daniel 10:13 - But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.
Daniel 10:21 - But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.
Daniel 12:1 - And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Jude 9 - Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
Revelation 12:7-9 - And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Yes, Michael is the head Angel, even Jesus Christ, and your selected scriptures are ample proof of that, regardless of what religion you are being accused of supporting.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Michael is ONE of the archangels, Daniel states as much ( ...one of the chief princes...).
If Michael is Jesus then Jesus is ONE of the Chief princes and we KNOW that is not the case.
Hebrews makes the case that Jesus is NOT an angel of any sort.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

There is some thought that perhaps the Angel of the Lord (not Michael) mentioned in the Old Testament is actually the Son. The idea of there being two powers in heaven, possibly two Yahwehs, was not uncommon in Jewish thought. One notable example of this is when Gideon offers a sacrifice and the Angel of the Lord accepts it, then leaves- but then Gideon is still speaking to Yahweh. (Obviously, it's a little more in depth than that)
In Judaism, this is referred to as the "two powers heresy", but it wasn't declared a heresy in by the Jews officially until some time after Christ, possibly the third century if I remember correctly, most probably to denounce the doctrine of the Trinity.

A good scholarly work on this is called Two Powers in Heaven, by Alan Campbell. He writes it from a non-Christian Jewish perspective, but is very honest in his admissions of what the OT text appears to say in several instances.