Mormon White Horse Prophecy?

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Mormon White Horse Prophecy?

Post by Gman »

Well this is pretty interesting.. Maybe there is more to Romney than we think...

"The White Horse Prophecy is a statement purported to have been made in 1843 by Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, regarding the future of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) and the United States of America. The Latter Day Saints, according to the prophecy, would "go to the Rocky Mountains and ... be a great and mighty people", identified figuratively with the White Horse described in the Revelation of John. The prophecy further predicts that the United States Constitution will one day "hang like a thread" and will be saved "by the efforts of the White Horse".

Some have speculated, on the basis of the White Horse Prophecy, that Mormons expect the United States to eventually become a theocracy dominated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).[2][3] The authenticity of the prophecy as a whole, which was not made public until long after Smith's death, is debated, and the leadership of the LDS Church has stated that "the so-called 'White Horse Prophecy' ... is not embraced as Church doctrine."[4] However, the belief that members of the LDS Church will one day need to take action to save the imperiled US Constitution has been attributed to Smith in several sources and has been discussed in an approving fashion by Brigham Young and other LDS leaders.

Several famous Mormons have made statements related to the White Horse Prophecy. For instance, US presidential candidate Mitt Romney has said he considers the White Horse Prophecy to be a matter of "speculation and discussion by [LDS] church members" and "not official [LDS] church doctrine."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Horse_Prophecy
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Mormon White Horse Prophecy?

Post by B. W. »

To read The White Horse Prophecy see link below from a Mormon source - so be cautious:

http://www.fairlds.org/wp-content/uploa ... ehorse.pdf

After reading the link, please note that the text of Revelation 6:2-8 was altered in The White Horse Prophecy to mean something that Revelation 6:2-8 does not.

Rev 6:2 And I looked, and behold, a white horse. He who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer.
Rev 6:3 When He opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature saying, "Come and see."
Rev 6:4 Another horse, fiery red, went out. And it was granted to the one who sat on it to take peace from the earth, and that people should kill one another; and there was given to him a great sword.
Rev 6:5 When He opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come and see." So I looked, and behold, a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand.
Rev 6:6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, "A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and do not harm the oil and the wine."
Rev 6:7 When He opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, "Come and see."
Rev 6:8 So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.

If Joseph Smith did coin this – again note that shortly after Joseph Smith altered many verses from the book of Revelation, he died by the hands/gunshots from fellow Mormons while he jumped out a window.

The last chapter of the Book of Revelation warns against doing this.

I am looking into the fellow, Edwin Rushton, who in advanced age wrote down the alleged words and seemed to have died shortly afterwards too, in 1872.

I say – this is a false and dangerous alteration of the Book of Revelation as the dire warnings about such alterations came about to at least two people who altered it.
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Mormon White Horse Prophecy?

Post by Gman »

B. W. wrote:To read The White Horse Prophecy see link below from a Mormon source - so be cautious:

http://www.fairlds.org/wp-content/uploa ... ehorse.pdf

After reading the link, please note that the text of Revelation 6:2-8 was altered in The White Horse Prophecy to mean something that Revelation 6:2-8 does not.
Oh I never trust Mormon doctrine. It's toxic poison in my book.. :egeek:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8