Great Tribulation

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Great Tribulation

Post by Jac3510 »

Zebulon wrote:And by the way FL, humans are tended to prove what they believe by saying it to others by writings, speaches, songs, etc. is not communication. Communication is saying somethings between people, not necessarely trying to prove.

Type Horus in Google and see what it is written about that story.
:mrgreen:
I wouldn't get my theologian information from Zeitgeist, if I were you.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Zebulon
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Zebulon »

Baaaaah! FL, nothing to do with Zeitgeist.

Theologian ? Gimme a break. I'll drink to that (Glen Livet no, better, a Calvados straight in a buble glass).

I think that we are in Les Vaches maigres period but I don't know how to say it in English... help me on that.

Remember in the 80's some writers talked and wrote books about the soon coming back of Jesus based on their representation of John Revelation and other prophecies. One of them was a Québécois and wrote an interresting book (Apocalypse : Prophétie de la fin des temps, Jacques Paquette). But I think, apart he made few major errors, he was also off 30 years.

Jesus said Search and you will find. If we are the generation that will live the end of (?) time - a time - and his coming back, then we may try to search together.

So again, Why did Jesus said If one kills by the sword so he must be killed by the sword.

Regards

Victor
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

(1) "theologian" as a typo. I meant "theological," as in:
"I wouldn't get my theological information from Zeitgeist, if I were you."

(2) Jesus' statement wasn't that everyone who kills by the sword will die by it; it was that everyone who draws the sword will die by it. There's a difference. The former is a simple lex talionis, whereas the latter is more of a promotion of non-resistence to evil. And in the specific context of that event, Jesus was about to be taken to be crucified. IOW, he had been given over, temporarily, to the powers of this world, to suffer at its hands, and that by the will of God.

We can certainly get into a theology of evil and persecution, but the Bible is consistent on the matter that we should, in those such cases, defend ourselves in word and deed, but not by force. Return evil with kindness.

(3) I'm not FL, and I haven't been following the thread, so feel free to get back to your discussion. I just find Zeitgeist absolutely ridiculous, everything from Jesus=Horas conspiracy theories to Bush was behind 9/11 to the secret plan disolve the USA and create a single, unifed North America.

Like you said, Jesus said search. He didn't say buy into nutjob conspiracies. ;)

edit: and I don't speak French (yet), so I can't help with your translation. :(
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Zebulon wrote:I think that we are in Les Vaches maigres period but I don't know how to say it in English... help me on that.
The lean cows? (doesn't make sense even in English).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Byblos wrote:The lean cows? (doesn't make sense even in English).
This site translates it "lean times." y:-?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Jac3510 wrote:
Byblos wrote:The lean cows? (doesn't make sense even in English).
This site translates it "lean times." y:-?
Could be an expression but vaches=cows.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I think it's an expression. I googled the phrase and came up with this:

http://www.expressio.fr/expressions/les ... rasses.php
Expression:
« Les vaches maigres / les vaches grasses »

Signification:
La pénurie / l'abondance

Origine:
Il ne faut chercher trí¨s loin pour comprendre qu'en période de pénurie, les vaches sont maigres car elles mangent peu, alors qu'elles sont bien grasses en période d'abondance.
L'image est donc trí¨s claire.

Mais au lieu des vaches, ont aurait pu avoir la même signification avec les hippopotames, les ornithorynques ou les hamsters, même s'ils broutent un peu moins nos prés et, du coup, sont plus difficiles í  glisser dans une conversation.
Alors pourquoi des vaches ?

Eh bien il nous faut remonter loin dans le temps, puisque, selon le chapitre 41 de la Gení¨se, c'est lors d'un rêve que Pharaon a vu s'annoncer deux périodes successives, une de sept années d'abondance, symbolisée par sept vaches grasses, puis une autre de sept années de disette, représentée par sept vaches maigres.

Ce sont ces vaches qui sont restées les symboles qu'on retrouve aujourd'hui dans notre expression.
And my translation as per http://translation2.paralink.com/ says . . . (drumroll) . . .
Expression:
"Lean times / prosperous times "

Signification:
Scarceness / abundance

Origin:
You should be necessary search very far to understand that in period of scarceness, cows are thin because they eat not much, while they are very fatty in period of abundance.
Picture is therefore very clear.

But instead of cows, have would have been able to have the same signification with the hippopotamuses, duckbills or the hamsters, even if they nibble our meadows a little less and, suddenly, are more difficult to slide into a dialogue.
Then why cows?

Oh well it is necessary us to take back up in time far, since, according to the chapter 41 of Origin, it is during a dream that Pharaoh saw being brewing two successive periods, one of seven years of abundance, represented by seven prosperous times, then other one of seven years of famine, represented by seven lean times.

It is these cows which remained the symbols which they find in our expression today.
I was actually wondering if maybe Pharaoh's dream didn't have something to do with it.

This has SO much to do with the Great Tribulation, I know! :D
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Yes, «vaches maigres» translates to «lean cows» but the figurative meaning is «lean times.»

And my original question to Zebulon, «Ça rhyme í  quoi tout ça?» has the figurative meaning «What are you getting at?»

Zebulon hasn't answered.
Jac3510 wrote: the secret plan disolve the USA and create a single, unifed North America.
Another wacko idea...but this one I like! :swow:

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

«Ça rhyme í  quoi tout ça?» has the figurative meaning «What are you getting at?»

... at you! And I got many more You's isnt it !

Ok1. I have been cruciefied just beside Jesus. In year 3, thats 2005 years ago.

Ok2 : A sword can be a gun, an arrow, a word without an S. The last part is a parabole, figure it out.

Get the picture?

You read with your eyes and think with them. Read with your heart not to say with your soal. y>:D<

Victor.
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Ok guy's since there isn' girls in the discussion yet...

Another question :

Jesus to Nicodemus : You must be born again to gain heaven.

Read and know. It is time.

Don't you feel that time is passing faster? And it isn't anymore because you are getting older (old her, she is old, hold her)

Get the picture yet?

Jesus.
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Jesus' statement wasn't that everyone who kills by the sword will die by it; it was that everyone who draws the sword will die by it.

And who are you to justify by what Jesus ment? In a way maybe you see a difference.

There's a difference. The former is a simple lex talionis,

Take the word, since you brought it, talionis : reverse it sin oil at. It's a parabole you brought. But it could very well be a joke of mine too.

whereas the latter is more of a promotion of non-resistence to evil. And in the specific context of that event, Jesus was about to be taken to be crucified. IOW, he had been given over, temporarily, to the powers of this world, to suffer at its hands, and that by the will of God.

Wow I'm impressed. Atre you kind of a saint man?

Victor just joking at you.
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Before Abraham was I am.

Common guy's what doe's that mean.

That was not in the Davinci code wasn't it?

Victor. y:O2
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Another question : What is the Image of the Beast?

To answer look in you, within you, out of you, without you.

Could it be you? Could it be us?

Victor
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

:whistle:

You're all over the place, Zebulon. I haven't a clue as to what you're saying.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

I will be back Monday. We are in the soon coming back of Christ. Is this possible?

2 witness will come in those days. I am looking, searching for them. I think they live right now on earth.

Cheers.

Victor Zebulon