Eschatology: Survey says . . . !!!

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.

What side of the eschatological camp do you find yourself in?

Preterist (full and partial go here)
37%
Futurist (still waiting . . .)
53%
Other (so you tell me how it goes)
5%
Explica me - I am confused.
5%

Total votes: 19

puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Eschatology: Survey says . . . !!!

Post by puritan lad »

Jac3510 wrote:And I'll answer answer them as soon as you've answered my questions, since they have been repeatedly asked, some of them more than three times. I have already pointed interested readers to an easy source if they are concerned I am just avoiding the questions.

You post answers to my questions, I'll post answers to yours. In the meantime, we have to believe that you support an errant Bible and that you believe in gaps while you decry dispensationalists for doing so.
Pathetic Jac. I guess you do to. Why?

Well God promised to give His People (Abraham's seed) "everlasting possession" of the land. Now I'm sure you already know how postmillennialists see this. Abraham's true seed (Christ) has everlasting possession. But let's examine your view.

God gave Israel the land (we already saw that). But you object that it wasn't "everlasting". So apparently God failed in His promise. Everlasting does not allow for a postponement. Imagine if God approached the Noahic Covenant the same way. The "everlasting" covenant says that God will never again wipe out the earth with a flood. How do we know that God hasn't postponed that covenant until the tribulation period/millennial reign, liek you say He is doing with the Abrahamic Covenant? He could simply postpone the covenant and wipe us all out, and then claim it was being postponed.

Everlasting means Everlasting (literally Jac.) It does not allow for gaps or postponements.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

puritan lad wrote:Well God promised to give His People (Abraham's seed) "everlasting possession" of the land. Now I'm sure you already know how postmillennialists see this. Abraham's true seed (Christ) has everlasting possession. But let's examine your view.

God gave Israel the land (we already saw that). But you object that it wasn't "everlasting". So apparently God failed in His promise. Everlasting does not allow for a postponement. Imagine if God approached the Noahic Covenant the same way. The "everlasting" covenant says that God will never again wipe out the earth with a flood. How do we know that God hasn't postponed that covenant until the tribulation period/millennial reign, liek you say He is doing with the Abrahamic Covenant? He could simply postpone the covenant and wipe us all out, and then claim it was being postponed.

Everlasting means Everlasting (literally Jac.) It does not allow for gaps or postponements.
First you accuse me of no substance, and then of being pathetic, and THIS is your reply??????

Let's deal with your objection first. "Everlasting" has nothing to do with postponement. Now, I happen to agree with you that the covenant is everlasting and that the Jews still own that land. HOWEVER, their owning it does NOT mean that they get to enjoy the blessings of living in it at all times. That depends on their obedience (Deut 29, anyone?).

And your comparison to Noah is ridiculous at best. God promised to NEVER destroy the world with a flood again. God didn't promise to NEVER exile the Jews. In fact, He told them just the opposite in Deut 29. There, He said He WOULD exile them if they were disobedient, but that in no way whatsoever means that they no longer have the promise. The same chapter goes on to say that He will regather them into the land when they repent. Why? Because it is their land.

An analogy to help you understand: you give your 16 year old a car. It is now legally theirs. It is in THEIR name. Two weeks later, they get in trouble, so you "take the car away." Now, they still own the car because it is still in their name, but you have stripped them of their priviledge of enjoying the benefits of owning the car. That doesn't mean the legality has changed.

So again, your objection simply does not work.

Number two, and this is way worse than the horrid logic you tried above, you didn't even deal with the foundational problem. I have pointed out what . . . five times now? . . . that IF YOU TAKE JOSHUA 21 AS A FULFILLMENT OF GENESIS 15, THEN YOU BELIEVE IN AN ERRANT BIBLE.

I have already posted TWO maps--and posted them on two different occasions--to show that Joshua did NOT conquer the land described in Genesis 15.

AGAIN PL - Plesae answer the question:

Do you believe that God will give "as an everlasting possession" to Abraham and his decendents the land "from the river of Egypt to the great river, the Euphrates-the land of the Kenites, Kenizzites, Kadmonites, Hittites, Perizzites, Rephaites, Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites and Jebusites"? (Gen 17:8; 15:18-20)

And I'm still waiting on an answer from the other two.

edit: I'm off to do Greek. I'll be back tonight to check on replies.

PL - I've asked politely, I've asked harshly - just interact with the arguments that you have been given. I have pointed out sincerely and sarcasticly your constant refusal to deal with what is being said. Can you please just give me the same courtesy I give you and answer my questions honestly and thoroughly??? I know our discussions get heated. I am ok with all that. I just want a thorough response. That's all.

Have a good one. God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Let's deal with your objection first. "Everlasting" has nothing to do with postponement. Now, I happen to agree with you that the covenant is everlasting and that the Jews still own that land. HOWEVER, their owning it does NOT mean that they get to enjoy the blessings of living in it at all times. That depends on their obedience (Deut 29, anyone?).
Oh, So the Covenant isn't unconditional afterall. Now we are getting somewhere.

But you have a strange definition of “everlasting”. You claim that “it does NOT mean that they get to enjoy the blessings of living in it at all times.” Well, if you take “everlasting” literally, it most certainly does. Did no one every read a prince/princess fairy tale to you?
Number two, and this is way worse than the horrid logic you tried above, you didn't even deal with the foundational problem. I have pointed out what . . . five times now? . . . that IF YOU TAKE JOSHUA 21 AS A FULFILLMENT OF GENESIS 15, THEN YOU BELIEVE IN AN ERRANT BIBLE.

I have already posted TWO maps--and posted them on two different occasions--to show that Joshua did NOT conquer the land described in Genesis 15.

AGAIN PL - Plesae answer the question:
Let's see. Joshua says that all of God's promises to Abraham were fulfilled, and not one of them failed. Jac's Maps disagree. Who should I believe?
Do you believe that God will give "as an everlasting possession" to Abraham and his decendents the land "from the river of Egypt to the great river, the Euphrates-the land of the Kenites, Kenizzites, Kadmonites, Hittites, Perizzites, Rephaites, Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites and Jebusites"? (Gen 17:8; 15:18-20)
I believe God has already given Abraham's Seed (Christ) everlasting possession of the land, In fact, all nations. I answered your question Jac. Let's quit pretending that I didn't. You may not like my answer, probably because (it's not literal "the way you define it". I love that quote Jac. How can anyone ever argue with that?)

The fact is that ALL Old Testament Covenants pointed to Christ, not to some atheistic country in the Middle East founded by the UN in 1948. (BTW: Christ's owns that land as well.)
And I'm still waiting on an answer from the other two.
If you are referring to the “gaps”, I answered them as well. I don't have any. I don't have to make up 2,000 year gaps to support my position. That's the beauty of being postmill.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Can you please just give me the same courtesy I give you and answer my questions honestly and thoroughly??? I know our discussions get heated. I am ok with all that. I just want a thorough response. That's all.
Jac, I agree thatg it get to heated. (A little passion.) Perhaps too much.

However, I have answered your questions. The problem is that you don't like my answer. You keep falling back on your "literal hermeneutic", which is really no more literal than mine. We take different aspects of prophecy literally. You do not have a monopoly on literalism. As I have pointed out there are things I take literally that you don't. (In fact, if we were to do a count - I won't - I probably take more items "literally" than you do.)

I hold that the New Testament is a valid (in fact, the only valid) was to interpret OT prophecy. That will always lead to either an amill or postmill position.

Let's take a breathg and come back, hopefully with some sort of starting point for a fruitful discussion.

God Bless,

PL

ttoews
Established Member

Post by ttoews »

Jac3510 wrote:
ttoews . . . I already had this discussion on this passage with PL in which I showed that he believes in an errant Bible if he wants to continue with this interpretation. Despite two requests for clarification, he never commented, so maybe you can pick up his slack?
I'll gladly comment

So, look AGAIN: Gen 15 gives a list of the land they were to possess and were to possess FOREVER. They have NEVER possessed that land, much less possessed it FOREVER. There are only three possibilities then:

1. God was wrong / we have an errant Bible
2. God never intended on giving Israel the land promised in Gen 15, but instead had some spiritualized concept in mind,
3. God will make good on His promise in the future.
I choose option four....God fulfilled His promise to give them the promised land, but b/c of their lack of faith they never completely possessed it. So the way I see it, it is you that have the difficulty based on:
1. God promised to give Abraham the promised land.
2. God makes the same promise to the people of Israel (Ex 6:8)
3. The Bible says God fulfilled all his promises to the Israelites (which of course would include the possession of the promised land) Jos 21:45, 23:14 and Acts 7:17
I interpret BOTH this promise and God's claim to having fulfilled it LITERALLY. You qualify the claim of fulfillment in order to preserve a dispensational eschatology.
I take 3, because I TAKE THE BIBLE LITERALLY. You take 2. You spiritualize the text. Therefore, Abraham was INCAPABLE of understanding the promise of God.
hope I clarifed this misunderstanding of yours (I do "spiritualize" texts...but not this one)
Let's push it just a little further, ttoews:

Suppose I buy a car from you....
with my clarification you should now understand why I believe your example to be not applicable to my interpretation. My analogy would be: I promise you that I will give you possession of all three of my cars for 10 years and when it comes time to fulfill my promise, I lead you to my garage and give you the keys to the garage and the three cars. You take the keys, but only ever take possession of two cars and before the ten years are up, you decide that you would prefer a different car from the ones I offered you and throw the keys back in my face. I have fulfilled my promise.
So no, ttoews, I don't consider God a liar. I believe He is telling the complete and total truth. Do you?
yep....so maybe we can stop applying this offensive allegation. Agreed?
There is a difference in a wrong interpretation and an interpretation that CANNOT be reached. Show me ONE passage in the OT that cannot be understood without NT revelation.
Malachi 4: 5-6 "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse."
Matt 11: 13-14 For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come.
Matt 17: 10-13 The disciples asked him, "Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?" Jesus replied, "To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things." But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands." Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.
In the end, that is what you are saying God did to the Jews. Silly Jews. They thought the promises were to them . . .
...and they were made to them....
And btw, I do, as of today, believe in future sacrifices for atonement in a Third Jewish Temple because that is what Ezekiel 40-48 says will happen. You have simply misunderstood Hebrews 10.
well, one of us has
That is why the OT has to control your understanding of the NT, because you come up with the wrong understanding of the NT without the OT.
...or is it that you come up with an incorrect understanding of the OT and of the NT b/c you are tied to a faulty eschatology?
Wait, wait, wait - so look at what you said. The Jews had to WAIT ON FURTHER REVELATION before they could understand what God meant?!?!? So . . . Scripture was, to them at that time, unintelligible. They didn't have enough information to interpret it properly.
yah, kinda like the disciples and teachers thinking that Elijah had to come first until Jesus explained that John would have served as the fulfillment
You should REALLY rethink your hermeneutic, ttoews.
back at yah.
I didn't ask if it was difficult or easy. I asked if it was POSSIBLE. If it was impossible, then it is NOT THEIR FAULT that they missed their Messiah. You and PL want to tell me that the reason they missed the Messiah was that they misinterpreted the prophecies.
no, I want to tell you that the reason they missed the Messiah was that they refused to listen to Jesus when He spoke....they rejected Him (and their act of rejection makes it their fault)
Wrong. Very, very, very wrong. The only "multi-rapture" view relates to those who believe in a partial rapture. It's never been seriously considered among dispensationalists broadly.
did I say it was a broadly held dispensational view?
Actually, Jesus "comes" at a pre-trib rapture. The Second Coming is at the end of the Tribluation, which is when he heads an army of angels and saints from heaven. There is no post-mill coming. None.
OK, thanks for the clarification...you believe in a second and a third coming and not a fourth.
ttoews wrote:OK. Give me the passage that tells me that the Second Coming isn't a mystery....
I could list dozens and dozens, but I suppose that one that first jumps to mind is Zech 14:4-5:
....I repeat, give me a passage that tells me that the Second Coming isn't a mystery...I am looking for an express statement....better yet, you must give a passage that states that no aspect of the Second Coming is a mystery. Much about Christ is revealed and explained. Much about the gospel is explained. Nevertheless, Paul still calls both Christ and the gospel mysteries.
By definition, the, the Second Coming is not a mystery because the manner in which the Messiah would come is plainly stated in the OLD TESTAMENT.
disagree....for reasons just stated
I am assuming, by the way, that you know that the word "mystery" means "a fact not previously revealed," right? It isn't something confusing or something hard to understand.
well you seem to be struggling with it....for by your reasoning Paul shouldn't have used that same word wrt the gospel or wrt Christ
And for the record, if you want to insist that the last trump in Corinthians must refer to the last trump in the Revelation, ...
never said must
....you are aware that the last trump in the Revelation is NOT the end of the tribulation period, right? The last trump signals the BEGINNING of the bowl judgments.
last trump? I thought it was the seventh trump that is followed by the bowls
. No matter how you cut it, this AGAIN proves the rapture to be a seperate event from the Second Coming, because Jesus does not come back when the last trump is blown, as per the Revelation.
no, what you should have said is that according to Revelation Christ doesn't come back at the sounding of the seventh trumpet.....and if the rapture occurs at the last trumpet, then logic would say that the rapture couldn't have occured before the seven trumpets of Revelation b/c then the "last" trumpet would be the "eighth to last" at best and not the last trumpet at all.
So, since God had the last trump from Revelatio in mind when He inspired Paul to say the Rapture happens at the last trump, and sense the last trump happens before the seven bowl judgments, then you believe in a future mid-tribulational rapture, right?
wrong
Or, another possibility is that "last" has a range of meanings like . . . say . . . yom? All of which are literal?
does this range include "eighth (or more) to last" as one of the possible literal meanings?
See above. I think I'm the only one in this thread who belives God is telling the truth so far.
that does appear to be what you think

Here's a suggestion for you. If your system creates contradictions, rather than saying one passage doesn't really mean what it says and changing the meaning, try letting Scripture decide what you believe and let IT inform your theology.
well let's see, if you mean contradictions like last trumpet = eighth to last trumpet, or fulfilled promise = unfulfilled promise then you should follow your own advice. On the other hand, if you mean contradictions such as Elijah = John the Baptist then maybe my system doesn't create contradictions.

PS I'm off for a vacation starting tomorrow....talk to you after a week.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

puritan lad wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:Since the issue at hand is extra-Biblical Christian interpretations of prophecy, then extra-Biblical sources are most certainly a challenge to your position when they don't support your position.
Actually, this is an issue that you have made.
Yes that is the issue I have raised.
The issus is the Biblical interpretation of prophecy.
No, that is not the issue under discussion. I raised the issue of extra-Biblical Christian interpretations of prophecy. You chose to take on that issue. If you want to back out now, that's fine. But that is the issue you and I have been discussing from the time of my first post in this thread, to the time of my post in this thread.
I don't need a church father to verify what Jesus has already said. He said that the Olivet Discourse would be fulfulled within the Apostle's generation. Who else would we have to listen to?
This is the fallacy of question begging, and it is avoiding the issue.
But since you brought it up, doesn't historicism teach that the seven churches represent seven "spiritual ages" in church history. In fact, I believe that this is the foundation on which historicism stands.
No it does not, and that is not the foundation on which Historicism stands. Comparatively few Historicists have believed that the seven churches represent 'seven spiritual ages', and this is an understanding which even some Futurists have held, as do some today (you'll find it's a standard belief among premillennial dispensationalists, who are Futurists). It is not definitive of, or relevant to, Historicism.
Doesn't historicism teach that the Beast is the Papacy?
Historicists usually teach that the dragon is pagan Rome prior to 476 AD, the beast of the sea is Christianized Rome subsequent to Justinian in the 6th century AD, that the mouth of the beast is the papacy, and that the beast of the earth is the Holy Roman Empire. Of course, various Historicists have held different views on all three beasts (most diversely on the beast of the earth). There have been Historicists who taught that the beast of the sea (or the beast of the earth), are the papacy, but this is not definitive of Historicism.

The definitive belief of Historicism is that the events in Revelation occupy all the time between the end of the 1st century and the return of Christ. That is the definitive belief of Historicism which distinguishes it from Praeterism and Futurism. This view is, of course, found in the Early Fathers.
I can see tons of futurism in the early church, but I can't seem to find any historicism. Perhaps you could point me to some.
I helpfully provided you with a set of links for this purpose. Please read the material there. I will provide you with more in a moment.
Spend a little time defending your view in light of church history while I do my research, since you obviously can't defend it from sola scriptura.
Spend a little time addressing the issue, instead of taking cheap shots. Meanwhile:

* A Historicist interpretation of Daniel 12 is here (I wrote it)

* A Historicist interpretation of the return of the Jews (including an interpretation of Revelation 16), is here (I wrote it)

* An overview of Historicist expositions of the key prophecies is here (I wrote it)
Fortigurn wrote:It means they were wrong about Christ returning in their lifetime. So what?
It means that their interpretation of prophecy was wrong in at least one area.
So what? According to you they were wrong in just about every area, but you still want to believe that they were right about Daniel 9 and the Olivet Discourse, so clearly their being wrong doesn't invalidate their exposition, according to you.
If they disagree with scripture, then I'll go with Scripture.
So will I. But to assume that because they were Historicists they were necessarily disagreeing with Scripture, is to beg the question.
Many early church fathers contradicted themselves in some areas.
True.
If the only argument you have in extra-biblical, then your view is already on shaky ground, even if you can find a consensus, which again is doubtful.
Fortunately it is not my only argument. As for a consensus, I can't of course present a unanimous front from all the Fathers, because they didn't all agree with each other. But I can present far more agreement on Revelation among the Early Fathers, from a Historicist perspective, than you can from a Praeterist perspective:
Looking at the Early Church expositions of the following passages, we find significant agreement:

* Daniel 2: here and here

* Daniel 7: here, here, here, here and here

* Daniel 8: here, here, and here

* Daniel 9: here

* The Olivet Discourse: here, here, and here

* 2 Thessalonians 2: here, here, and here

* Revelation: here
Can you provide anything remotely comparable for the Praeterist perspective? No you can't, and we both know it.
As I said, I'll do my research, as I know that there are some church fathers who denied a millennium.
How many can you find before the 4th century? And remember, this doesn't prove that they were Praeterists. There have been plenty of ammillenial Historicists.
If a literal millennium were as prevalent as you suggest, then why is it absent in ALL of the Creeds and Confessions of the church?
If a non-literal millennium was as prevalent as you suggest, then why is it absent in all of the Creeds and Confessions of the church? Well that was easy. Now here's the knockout - as you know, I can find plenty of quotes from Early Fathers who were premillenialists. I can find them from the 2nd century onwards. How many amillenialists can you find before Augustine? I don't need to point to Creeds and Confessions to prove how prevalent the belief in premillenialism was, because I can point directly to a list of over a dozen Early Fathers who believed in it.

Let's remember the challenge at hand.

You have to explain why no Christian expositor between the 2nd century and the early 17th century arrived at the Praeterist interpretation. This, despite the fact that during that thousand years there were plenty of expositions written on Revelation. And how could it be that a whole century of Reformers, including Luther, Melancthon, Osiander, Illyricus, Oecolampadius, Joye, Knox, Bullinger, Conradus, Funck, Solis, Jewell, Ridly, Latimer, Tyndale, Nigrinus, Chytraeus, Aretius, Fulke, Marlorat, Brocard, and Foxe, could have missed this, despite producing careful expositions of Daniel 2, 7 and 9, the Olivet Discourse, 2 Thessalonians 2 and Revelation? Do you honestly believe that the late 16th/early 17th century Roman Catholics were the first Christians living after the 1st century to interpret the Revelation correctly?

This is the 'credibilty gap' which Praeterists of every stripe face. Honest Praeterists admit to it.

The key points again:
* The evidence does not support the fundamental claim

The Praeterist insists that the language of these prophecies was chosen specifically with the first generation of Christians in mind. The Praeterist interprets these symbols in a manner which they claim would have been perfectly natural and comprehensible to the earliest Christians.

If this is truly the case, then we ought to find the earliest interpretations to be consistent with the Praeterist understanding. Indeed, evidence of such an understanding by the earliest Christians is to be expected if the Praeterist case is true. But is this what we find when we examine the earliest Christian expositions of these passages? It is not.

* Praeterists falsely claim the Early Fathers were Praeterists

The central thesis of the Praeterist exegesis is that the key eschatological passages were fulfilled in the 1st century. It cannot be denied that this is indeed a novelty of the 17th century. It cannot be found before this time. The fact that some of the early expositors may have applied 'various visions to the early emperors of Pagan Rome' does not alter the fact that none of them believed that the key eschatological passages were fulfilled in the 1st century.

* The Early Fathers were in fact Historicists

No Praeterist living after the 1st century AD would have any expectation of the return of Christ, since the Praeterist position holds that Christ's 'coming' had already occurred in the 1st century. Any expositor living after the 1st century AD who expected Christ's soon return to earth, cannot be a Praeterist. We find none of the Early Fathers holding the Praeterist view of Christ's advent.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

No. It's an attempt to look at your so-called “problems” with preterism in the light of Scripture. If the doctrine is to be decided by uninspired Christians, then you've already lost per this poll. Extrabiblical commentaries are not problems. Besides, the vast majority of your “problems” deal with full-preterism, and so are irrelevant to me. (It too bad you don't respect the early church fathers teachings on everlasting punishment. Your patristics are quite selective).
Fortigurn wrote:It means they were wrong about Christ returning in their lifetime. So what?
It means that their interpretation of prophecy was wrong in at least one area.

So what? According to you they were wrong in just about every area, but you still want to believe that they were right about Daniel 9 and the Olivet Discourse, so clearly their being wrong doesn't invalidate their exposition, according to you.
I'm not arguing my position for these prophecies from the writings of early church fathers. I'm arguing from Scripture alone. I have great respect for the early church fathers and do not believe in studying the Bible in an egocentric vacuum. But when they are wrong, they are wrong, and when they are right, they are right. The ultimate test is Scripture and Scripture alone. There is where Historicism fails the test, and it has absolute no support from the Bible. It is mere guesswork that requires, in many cases, a revision of historic events in order to make the prophecies fit.

I read through your first Daniel 2 posting. It gives us nothing from Scripture. However, it did show that the majority of church fathers viewed that they were still in the fourth kingdom (which they were). So what? What does a historicist do with Daniel 2:44-45? The ten “kings” are part of the Roman Empire (there is not fifth earthly kingdom listed, which is a problem for both futurists and historicists (another gap). Did Christ establish His earthly kingdom at the fall of the Roman Empire, or before that? For a Biblical Pespective on Daniel 2 see here.

You link also said that This view of the Kingdom of God is called the 'premillennial' view, since it insists that the Kingdom of God will not be established it its fullness until Christ returns. However, Jesus Himself said it would happen during the lifetime of His listeners (Matthew 16:27-28). Who are we to believe? I will also add that a great number of the early church fathers held to what is called “Replacement Theology”, which I believe most historicists firmly object to. In the end, there is no consensus in early church eschatology or on the millennium. The absence of a millennium in the Creeds and Confessions of the church speak much more loudly than the absence of a non-millennium.
You have to explain why no Christian expositor between the 2nd century and the early 17th century arrived at the Praeterist interpretation. This, despite the fact that during that thousand years there were plenty of expositions written on Revelation. And how could it be that a whole century of Reformers, including Luther, Melancthon, Osiander, Illyricus, Oecolampadius, Joye, Knox, Bullinger, Conradus, Funck, Solis, Jewell, Ridly, Latimer, Tyndale, Nigrinus, Chytraeus, Aretius, Fulke, Marlorat, Brocard, and Foxe, could have missed this, despite producing careful expositions of Daniel 2, 7 and 9, the Olivet Discourse, 2 Thessalonians 2 and Revelation? Do you honestly believe that the late 16th/early 17th century Roman Catholics were the first Christians living after the 1st century to interpret the Revelation correctly?

This is the 'credibilty gap' which Praeterists of every stripe face. Honest Praeterists admit to it.
I have to explain no such thing. I'm not accountable to them. When you claim that * The Early Fathers were in fact Historicists, it is merely an assumption. In any case, by using them, you are committing the logical fallacies of Argumentum ad numerum and Argumentum ad verecundiam. Truth isn't up for a popular vote, and if it was, you lose based on this poll.

Besides, every time I bring up a preterist interpretation of a passage, you claim that it is consistent with Historicism. Good for you. Where are your scriptural arguments, or are you completely devoid of any? Even if every church father were a historical premill, that has absolutely no bearing on the Scriptures. But as you know, they all were not.

But for you enjoyment, here is some early church preterism on some of the passages you mentioned.

Consider Jerome's Commentary on Daniel, where he not only considers the rock the smote the image to be the First Advent of Christ, but also states that many believe Nero to have been antichrist (though I have a slight disagreement.) See Chapter 7 and 9 as well. Jerome was a preterist. (In case you are wondering, it is preterism that holds the Beast to be Nero, not historicism or futurism.

You're link regarding the Olivet Discourse is simply not true. None? Are you for real? How about a little Eusebuis?

"The Holy Scriptures foretell that there will be unmistakable signs of the Coming of Christ. Now there were among the Hebrews three outstanding offices of dignity, which made the nation famous, firstly the kingship, secondly that of prophet, and lastly the high priesthood. The prophecies said that the abolition and complete destruction of all these three together would be the sign of the (b) presence of the Christ. And that the proofs that the times had come, would lie in the ceasing of the Mosaic worship, the desolation of Jerusalem and its Temple, and the subjection of the whole Jewish race to its enemies. The holy oracles foretold that all these changes, which had not been made in the days of the prophets of old, would take place at the coming of the Christ, which I will presently shew to have been fulfilled as never before in accordance with the predictions."

That is about as preterist as it gets. Those two should cover all of the passages you mentioned. If I had the time and wherewithal, I'm sure I could find more. Maybe you can tell us why the Latin form of the mark of the Beast is 616 instead of 666. It appears as if the early Latin Commentators viewed Nero as the Beast as well.

Perhaps you could win the vote of church history, perhaps not. In any case, I would prefer to continue to argue for “problems” for preterism let's have it from Scripture. The church fathers were every bit as fallible as we are. I'll repeat, patristics is not a “problem” for preterism, but the Bible itself is a problem for historicism.

Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

puritan lad wrote:
No. It's an attempt to look at your so-called “problems” with preterism in the light of Scripture.
It is nothing of the kind. The issue under discussion is what the early post-1st century Christians believed about the key prophetic passages. We look to their writings to determine this. The issue is not whether they were correct, the issue is whether or not they were Praeterists.
If the doctrine is to be decided by uninspired Christians, then you've already lost per this poll.
As I have pointed out, that is not the issue under question. I am not saying that doctrine is to be decided by uninspired Christians. I am not saying they were necessarily right. The point I am making is that the historical evidence denies the key Praeterist claims (which I have listed).
Extrabiblical commentaries are not problems.
Of course they are problems for your interpretation of Revelation. You have to explain why your interpretation wasn't discovered between the 2nd and the 17th century.
Besides, the vast majority of your “problems” deal with full-preterism, and so are irrelevant to me.
The three points I listed address all forms of Praeterism, and are as much problems for Partial Praeterism as for Full Praeterism. The absence of Praeterism in Christian history from the 2nd to the 17th century AD is a major problem for every kind of Praeterism.
(It too bad you don't respect the early church fathers teachings on everlasting punishment. Your patristics are quite selective).
Of course my patristics are selective - I'm quoting their prophetic exposition because their prophetic exposition is relevant to the topic of this conversation, which just happens to be their prophetic exposition. But you mistake me entirely if you think I 'respect them'. I have never appealed to them as authorities. My beliefs do not rest on whatever they believed. They are only being quoted here because the issue under contention is what they did or did not believe regarding prophecy. To settle this question we look to their works.
I'm not arguing my position for these prophecies from the writings of early church fathers. I'm arguing from Scripture alone.
I understand that. I do the same.
I have great respect for the early church fathers and do not believe in studying the Bible in an egocentric vacuum. But when they are wrong, they are wrong, and when they are right, they are right. The ultimate test is Scripture and Scripture alone.
I agree. But that is not the issue under discussion. The issue under discussion is what they believed, not whether they were right. To settle this question we look to their works.
There is where Historicism fails the test, and it has absolute no support from the Bible. It is mere guesswork that requires, in many cases, a revision of historic events in order to make the prophecies fit.
What an astonishing example of question begging.
I read through your first Daniel 2 posting. It gives us nothing from Scripture.
Of course it didn't. The purpose of the post was to list the interpretations of the Early Fathers, not to interpret the passage of Scripture. You will have noted the complete absence of Praeterism from the Early Fathers on Daniel 2.
However, it did show that the majority of church fathers viewed that they were still in the fourth kingdom (which they were). So what?
No, it showed a lot more than that. It showed that the majority of the Early Fathers believed that the stone was Christ's second advent, and not his first. It showed that the majority of the Early Fathers believed that the ten toes represented the fall of the Roman empire. This is not Praeterism.
What does a historicist do with Daniel 2:44-45? The ten “kings” are part of the Roman Empire (there is not fifth earthly kingdom listed, which is a problem for both futurists and historicists (another gap).
I don't see a gap at all. The Roman empire broke up, and the ten toes have been trying to mix ever since.
Did Christ establish His earthly kingdom at the fall of the Roman Empire, or before that?
Neither.
For a Biblical Pespective on Daniel 2 see here.
I note it fails completely to address the Biblical explanation of the feet and toes.
You link also said that This view of the Kingdom of God is called the 'premillennial' view, since it insists that the Kingdom of God will not be established it its fullness until Christ returns. However, Jesus Himself said it would happen during the lifetime of His listeners (Matthew 16:27-28). Who are we to believe?
I believe Jesus, who did not say that the Kingdom of God would be established in its fullness during the lifetime of his listeners (and certainly not in Matthew 16:27-28).
I will also add that a great number of the early church fathers held to what is called “Replacement Theology”, which I believe most historicists firmly object to.
I agree.
In the end, there is no consensus in early church eschatology or on the millennium.
No consenus, just an overwhelming majority.
The absence of a millennium in the Creeds and Confessions of the church speak much more loudly than the absence of a non-millennium.
Why? What about the overwhelming presence of premillennialism in the Early Fathers? I believe that speaks very loudly.
I have to explain no such thing. I'm not accountable to them.
I am not asking you to be accounable to them, I am asking you how it is possible that Christ could write a book called the 'Revelation', and yet his servants could completely fail to understand it until the 17th century, when the Catholics finally understood what all the Reformers and previous generations of Christians had all apparently failed to comprehend. Do you honestly see this as even remotely credible?
When you claim that * The Early Fathers were in fact Historicists, it is merely an assumption.
No that is simply untrue. I have presented pages of evidence that they were Historicists. To date you have been unable to provide any evidence that they were Praeterists, despite apparently intending to make the effort. You haven't even addressed any of the patristic evidence I've provided.
In any case, by using them, you are committing the logical fallacies of Argumentum ad numerum and Argumentum ad verecundiam.
You mean 'argumentum ad populum', not 'ad numerum'. But in any case, I'm not committing either fallacy. I am not arguing that Historicism is correct just because the Early Fathers held to it. I have made this point clear more than once. I have been contesting the question of whether or not the Early Fathers were Praeterists.
Besides, every time I bring up a preterist interpretation of a passage, you claim that it is consistent with Historicism.
On the contrary, you've raised Daniel 9 (on which Historicists and Praeterists agree), you've raised the Olivet Discourse (on which Historicists and Praeterists do not agree), and you've raised Revelation (on which Historicists and Praeterists do not agree).
Where are your scriptural arguments, or are you completely devoid of any?
I gave you pages and pages of Scriptural arguments in my last post. See the links. Clearly you didn't bother to even open them.
Even if every church father were a historical premill, that has absolutely no bearing on the Scriptures.
I agree.
But as you know, they all were not.
Of course I know. And as you know, the majority of them were.
Consider Jerome's Commentary on Daniel, where he not only considers the rock the smote the image to be the First Advent of Christ, but also states that many believe Nero to have been antichrist (though I have a slight disagreement.) See Chapter 7 and 9 as well. Jerome was a preterist. (In case you are wondering, it is preterism that holds the Beast to be Nero, not historicism or futurism.
Sorry, you've completely misrepresented Jerome here:

* He believed that the feet and toes of the image represented the break up of the Roman empire, an event he considered imminent but still in his future:
'My mind is refreshed, and for the present forgets the woeful calamities that this last age labours with, groaning and travailing in pain, till he who hinders, be taken out of the way, and the feet of the iron statue be broken to pieces by reason of the brittleness of the clayey toes.'

Jerome, 'Commentary on Ezekiel', book 8, preface, 340 — 420 AD
* He believed that the antiChrist had not yet come:
'Let us therefore affirm, agreeably to the concurrent judgment of all ecclesiastical writers, that in the consummation of the world, when the Roman Empire is to be destroyed, there shall arise ten kings, who shall share the Roman world among themselves, and that an eleventh king (the little horn in Dan. vii.) shall arise, who shall subdue three of those ten kings…'

Jerome, 'Commentary on Daniel', chapter 7 section 20, 340 — 420
'”that which restrains” - is the Roman empire.

For unless it shall have been destroyed and taken out of the midst - according to the Prophet Daniel, Anti-Christ will not come before that.'

Jerome, 'Commentary on Jeremiah', chapter 5 section 25, 340 — 420
Clearly he was not a Praeterist, because he believed that the prophecies occupied the time between the 2nd century and the return of Christ. He believed these events were yet future.

As for Nero being the antiChrist, I've already dealt with that:
Although some of the Early Fathers considered that the little horn, the man of sin or the beast of Revelation 13 to be Nero, they did not consider that the Nero of the 1st century was the fulfillment of these passages.

On the contrary, they believed that it would be a resurrected Nero of the future who would return from the grave to carry out the role of AntiChrist, fulfilling these prophecies some time after the 1st century. This view is entirely contradictory to the Praeterist view, and is believed by no Praeterist today.
The following Fathers believed that the 'man of sin' in 2 Thessalonians 2 would not come before the fall of the Roman empire:

* 180 Irenaeus

* 185 Tertullian

* 200 Hippolytus

* 300 Victorinus

* 306-373 Ephraem

* 315-386 Cyril

* 389 Chrysotom

* 340-397 Ambrose

* 340-420 Jerome

* 393-457 Theodoretus

* 438-533 Remigius

* 520 Andreas

* c. 550 Primasius

That's quite the list. Let's see your list of Fathers who believed that the 'man of sin' of 2 Thessalonians 2 had already come and gone in the 1st century. Come on, line them up please.
You're link regarding the Olivet Discourse is simply not true. None? Are you for real? How about a little Eusebuis?
How about it? Exactly what there do you think constitutes Praeterism? Eusebius says that the kingship, prophethood and priesthood would be abolished, the sign of which would be the presence of Christ. I agree! Christ came, and that was the sign that the kingship, prophethood and priesthood would be abolished. He also says that the proofs that the time had come that the kingship, prophethood and priesthood were abolished would be 'the ceasing of the Mosaic worship, the desolation of Jerusalem and its temple, and the subjection of the whole Jewish race to its enemies'. I agree! It happened in 70 AD. What's your point?
Those two should cover all of the passages you mentioned.
Absolutely not. They don't provide evidence for a Praeterist interpretation of Daniel 2 and 7, the Olivet Discouse, 2 Thessalonians 2, or Revelation. You've given me nothing to support the argument that the Early Fathers were Praetersts.
If I had the time and wherewithal, I'm sure I could find more.
No you can't. The people running the preteristarchive have both the time and wherewithal, and they admit they can't find more than they have because it just doesn't exist:
Today's contemporary "Partial Preterism" was primarily developed during the Reformation era in the hands of Calvin, Grotius and Hammond, though the Jesuit Alcazar is possibly the earliest to present a fully developed system.
Emphasis mine. The Puritan meekly follows the Jesuit. Irony of ironies.
Maybe you can tell us why the Latin form of the mark of the Beast is 616 instead of 666. It appears as if the early Latin Commentators viewed Nero as the Beast as well.
If the early Latin commentators viewed the 1st century Nero as the beast (and not a future resurrected Nero), then I'm sure you could find me plenty of quotes from them which say so. Until you present those quotes, you don't have a case.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Sorry, you've completely misrepresented Jerome here:
You'd better take a closer look.

Verse 40. "And there shall be a fourth empire like unto iron. Just as iron breaks to pieces and overcomes all else, so it shall break to pieces and shatter all these preceding empires . ..." Now the fourth empire, which clearly refers to the Romans, is the iron empire which breaks in pieces and overcomes all others. But its feet and toes are partly of iron and partly of earthenware, a fact most clearly demonstrated at the present time. For just as there was at the first nothing stronger or hardier than the Roman realm, so also in these last days there is nothing more feeble (D), since we require the assistance of barbarian tribes both in our civil wars and against foreign nations. However, at the final period of all these empires of gold and silver and bronze and iron, a rock (namely, the Lord and Savior) was cut off without hands, that is, without copulation or human seed and by birth from a virgin's womb; and after all the empires had been crushed, He became a great mountain and filled the whole earth. This last the Jews and the impious Porphyry apply to the people of Israel, who they insist will be the strongest power at the end of the ages, and will crush all realms and will rule forever.

Jerome viewed that as the First Advent, not the Second.

Also consider,

"But these events were typically prefigured under Antiochus Epiphanes, so that this abominable king who persecuted God's people foreshadows the Antichrist, who is to persecute the people of Christ. And so there are many of our viewpoint who think that Domitius Nero was the Antichrist because of his outstanding savagery and depravity."

There is the quote you demanded. Was he wrong?
How about it? Exactly what there do you think constitutes Praeterism? Eusebius says that the kingship, prophethood and priesthood would be abolished, the sign of which would be the presence of Christ. I agree!
"The Holy Scriptures foretell that there will be unmistakable signs of the Coming of Christ. Now there were among the Hebrews three outstanding offices of dignity, which made the nation famous, firstly the kingship, secondly that of prophet, and lastly the high priesthood. The prophecies said that the abolition and complete destruction of all these three together would be the sign of the presence of the Christ. And that the proofs that the times had come, would lie in the ceasing of the Mosaic worship, the desolation of Jerusalem and its Temple, and the subjection of the whole Jewish race to its enemies. The holy oracles foretold that all these changes, which had not been made in the days of the prophets of old, would take place at the coming of the Christ, which I will presently shew to have been fulfilled as never before in accordance with the predictions."

He tells us very plainly that the events of 70 AD coincided with the coming of Christ. Which “holy oracles” do you think He was referring to? These things did not happen at His first Advent. I'll also add…

"But our Master did not prophesy after this fashion; but, as I have already said, being a prophet by an inborn and every-flowing Spirit, and knowing all things at all times, He confidently set forth, plainly as I said before, sufferings, places, appointed times, manners, limits. Accordingly, therefore, prophesying concerning the temple, He said: "See ye these buildings? Verily I say to you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another which shall not be taken away [Matt. 24:3]; and this generation shall not pass until the destruction begin [Matt. 24:34]. . . ." And in like manner He spoke in plain words the things that were straightway to happen, which we can now see with our eyes, in order that the accomplishment might be among those to whom the word was spoken. (Clementine Homilia, 3:15.)

Clement understood very clearly what “this generation” meant.

So here is what we have Fortigurn.

We have Justin Martyr's own words that there were many first Century Christians who denied a literal millennium, as I pointed out. Was he wrong? When you claim that the majority were Premillennial, what do you base that on? Were you there for a poll? Just the writings that you currently have access to?

And if this were true, how does that pose a problem for preterism again?

We have Jerome stating that there were many who considered Nero to be the antichrist. Was he wrong? I wonder how that could be, since Preterism was a 17th century invention.

We have two who viewed the Olivet Discourse as fulfilled in 70 AD (at least in one place.) Of course, you can find where they contradict themselves in other places, for whatever that is worth. We have Jerome interpreting Daniel 2 in light of Christ's First Advent. Again, a strange interpretation for a historicist.

So whatever you feel that the “majority” of church fathers thought, it is quite clear that Preterism was around long before the 17th Century.

At the beginning of the thread, you posed that there were “problems” with Preterism. So far, you have offered none. Your statement that “It cannot be denied that this is indeed a novelty of the 17th century. It cannot be found before this time” is wrong, as I have just showed. Your statement that “No Praeterist living after the 1st century AD would have any expectation of the return of Christ, since the Praeterist position holds that Christ's 'coming' had already occurred in the 1st century”, is only relevant to full Preterism. You attempt to lump me in with them is disingenuous at best.

Again, I'm sure I can find Preterism in other church documents, but that would be for another thread for when I have more time. This is supposed to be a thread that actually challenges Preterism biblically. This, you have failed to do.

Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

puritan lad wrote:You'd better take a closer look.

[...]

Jerome viewed that as the First Advent, not the Second.
I've had a good look. He interprets the stone as Christ's first advent, as I already made quite clear in the material in my link and the document I gave you, It's clear you haven't read either - I actually said that Eusebius, Jerome, and Augustine could be said to have held an amillennial view, something I'm sure you would have leaped at if you had even bothered to read what I wrote. But of course, if you're not actually interested in a discussion, then I can't expect you to read either my posts or the material to which I think. You'll just refuse to read material which disagrees with you, and simply repost your view.

Jerome does not say that the Roman empire has yet been destroyed. He believed this was yet future, remember?
'Let us therefore affirm, agreeably to the concurrent judgment of all ecclesiastical writers, that in the consummation of the world, when the Roman Empire is to be destroyed, there shall arise ten kings, who shall share the Roman world among themselves, and that an eleventh king (the little horn in Dan. vii.) shall arise, who shall subdue three of those ten kings…'

Jerome, 'Commentary on Daniel', chapter 7 section 20, 340 — 420
'My mind is refreshed, and for the present forgets the woeful calamities that this last age labours with, groaning and travailing in pain, till he who hinders, be taken out of the way, and the feet of the iron statue be broken to pieces by reason of the brittleness of the clayey toes.'

Jerome, 'Commentary on Ezekiel', book 8, preface, 340 — 420 AD
It's quite clear. Jerome did not believe that the Roman empire had fallen, nor the ten horns/toes arisen, nor the antiChrist had come.
Also consider,

"But these events were typically prefigured under Antiochus Epiphanes, so that this abominable king who persecuted God's people foreshadows the Antichrist, who is to persecute the people of Christ.

He's speaking here of the part in Daniel 11 which I agree is talking about Antiochus Epiphanes.

And so there are many of our viewpoint who think that Domitius Nero was the Antichrist because of his outstanding savagery and depravity."

There is the quote you demanded. Was he wrong?
I'd like the full quote please. You haven't provided the reference, and I can't find this quote in my copy of the Schaff edition of the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers. I note that to date you have been unable to provide any quotes from any of the Church Fathers who believed that Nero had been the antiChrist in the 1st century, which was what I had asked for.

I certainly believe that Jerome was wrong to say that 'there are many of our viewpoint who think that Domitius Nero was the Antichrist', given the complete absence of any evidence that such a statement is true. What evidence do you have to support this statement? I've already shown that the overwhelming majority of extant writings by the Early Fathers contain beliefs completely to the contrary.
He tells us very plainly that the events of 70 AD coincided with the coming of Christ. Which “holy oracles” do you think He was referring to? These things did not happen at His first Advent.
Er, yes all these things took place at the coming of Christ, his first advent. And the proofs that the time had come, were what happened in 70 AD.
I'll also add…
Clearly you didn't read the links I provided. I already cited Clement myself. But of course, you omitted to mention that Clement did not believe that the Olivet Discourse had been entirely fulfilled in 70 AD.
We have Justin Martyr's own words that there were many first Century Christians who denied a literal millennium, as I pointed out. Was he wrong?
Oh no we do not. You made some serious blunders with this quote from Martyr. Firstly, Martyr was writing at around 150 AD, and was certainly not speaking of 1st century Christians, none of whom he actually knew personally because they were dead and the 1st century had passed 50 years ago.

Secondly, Martyr was not saying that there were many Christians who denied a literal millennium. He was saying that there were many Christians who denied the specific details of the millennium described by Trypho:
And Trypho to this replied, "I remarked to you sir, that you are very anxious to be safe in all respects, since you cling to the Scriptures. But tell me, do you really admit that this place, Jerusalem, shall be rebuilt; and do you expect your people to be gathered together, and made joyful with Christ and the patriarchs, and the prophets, both the men of our nation, and other proselytes who joined them before your Christ came? or have you given way, and admitted this in order to have the appearance of worsting us in the controversies?"

Then I answered, "I am not so miserable a fellow, Trypho, as to say one thing and think another. I admitted to you formerly, that I and many others are of this opinion, and [believe] that such will take place, as you assuredly are aware; but, on the other hand, I signified to you that many who belong to the pure and pious faith, and are true Christians, think otherwise.
Absolutely nothing about whether or not the millennium will take place, but what the details will be. On the millennium itself, Martyr says:
But I and others, who are right-minded Christians on all points, are assured that there will be a resurrection of the dead, and a thousand years in Jerusalem, which will then be built, adorned, and enlarged, [as] the prophets Ezekiel and Isaiah and others declare.
Very different to what you claimed.
When you claim that the majority were Premillennial, what do you base that on? Were you there for a poll? Just the writings that you currently have access to?
When I claim that the majority of the Early Fathers were Premillennial, I base that on the extant writings of the Early Fathers. It seems reasonable to me. Do you have a better idea of how to determine what the majority of the Early Fathers believed?
And if this were true, how does that pose a problem for preterism again?
As I said, the problem for Praeterism is to explain how it managed to escape the notice of Christianity until the 17th century. I'm still waiting for you to explain this.
We have Jerome stating that there were many who considered Nero to be the antichrist. Was he wrong? I wonder how that could be, since Preterism was a 17th century invention.
Firstly, until there's evidence that he was right, you can't appeal to this quote. Secondly, the fact that none of the extant writings of any of the Early Fathers expresses this view demonstrates that it could not have been as widespread as Jerome claims. Thirdly, this of itself is not Praeterism. It is a belief compatible with Praeterism, but it does not constitute Praeterism. Praeterism is the belief that
We have two who viewed the Olivet Discourse as fulfilled in 70 AD (at least in one place.) Of course, you can find where they contradict themselves in other places, for whatever that is worth.
In other words, we have two who viewed part of the Olivet Discourse as fulfilled in 70 AD. I've already made the point that I believe this myself. This is not substantiating your case. You have to find Early Fathers who believed that all of the Olivet Discourse was fulfilled in 70 AD. Even then they might not be Praeterists. As you've pointed out, from the Praeterist point of view even the two Early Fathers you quoted contradicted themselves in other places. Why? Because they weren't Praeterists. They didn't believe that all these prophecies had been fulfilled in the 1st century. They still believed that the Roman empire hadn't fallen, that antiChrist wouldn't come until it had, and that Daniel 2, Daniel 7, 2 Thessalonians 2 and Revelation were all still to be fulfilled.
We have Jerome interpreting Daniel 2 in light of Christ's First Advent. Again, a strange interpretation for a historicist.
Not at all. He still believed that the prophecies occupied all the time between the 2nd century and Christ's return. That's why he believed that the Roman empire had not yet fallen, the antiChrist had not yet come, and Daniel 7 and 2 Thessalonians 2 were still in the future. You don't. You are a Praeterist. He wasn't.
So whatever you feel that the “majority” of church fathers thought, it is quite clear that Preterism was around long before the 17th Century.
I know what the majority of the Early Fathers thought because I've actually read and studied them, unlike you. All you've done is copy/paste a few quick soundbites from the preteristarchive, which admits that Praeterism was not around 'long before the 17th century'. You don't seem to understand just how huge a case you have to prove. You have to prove not merely that the Early Fathers held to views compatible with Praeterism, but that they held to views exclusive of Historicism or Futurism. Until you've done that, you haven't achieved anything.

Don't you find it embarrassing that all you can give me in the way of evidence for Praeterism in the Early Fathers is two of the Early Fathers, and only parts of their commentary on a single passage? You can't even provide me with any evidence that either of them were actual Praeterists, and you admit that they disagree with Praeterism in their interpretation of other passages.
At the beginning of the thread, you posed that there were “problems” with Preterism. So far, you have offered none.
Here they are again:
* The evidence does not support the fundamental claim

The Praeterist insists that the language of these prophecies was chosen specifically with the first generation of Christians in mind. The Praeterist interprets these symbols in a manner which they claim would have been perfectly natural and comprehensible to the earliest Christians.

If this is truly the case, then we ought to find the earliest interpretations to be consistent with the Praeterist understanding. Indeed, evidence of such an understanding by the earliest Christians is to be expected if the Praeterist case is true. But is this what we find when we examine the earliest Christian expositions of these passages? It is not.

* Praeterists falsely claim the Early Fathers were Praeterists

The central thesis of the Praeterist exegesis is that the key eschatological passages were fulfilled in the 1st century. It cannot be denied that this is indeed a novelty of the 17th century. It cannot be found before this time. The fact that some of the early expositors may have applied 'various visions to the early emperors of Pagan Rome' does not alter the fact that none of them believed that the key eschatological passages were fulfilled in the 1st century.

* The Early Fathers were in fact Historicists

No Praeterist living after the 1st century AD would have any expectation of the return of Christ, since the Praeterist position holds that Christ's 'coming' had already occurred in the 1st century. Any expositor living after the 1st century AD who expected Christ's soon return to earth, cannot be a Praeterist. We find none of the Early Fathers holding the Praeterist view of Christ's advent.
To date, you've tried to contest the second of these points, to no avail. You haven't even attempted the other two.
Your statement that “No Praeterist living after the 1st century AD would have any expectation of the return of Christ, since the Praeterist position holds that Christ's 'coming' had already occurred in the 1st century”, is only relevant to full Preterism. You attempt to lump me in with them is disingenuous at best.
On the contrary, all Praeterists, of whatever kind, believe that Christ came in the 1st century, in 70 AD. Full Praterists believe he will never come again, Partial Praeterists believe that he will come a third time (not a second), but have no expectation of it as the Early Fathers did (almost all of them had an imminent expectation of it, which no Praeterist I know has). All Praeterists believe he came in the 1st century, in 70 AD. If you personally believe that Christ came for the second time in 70 AD and you have an expectation of him coming a third time, you may certainly consider this point irrelevant to you.
Again, I'm sure I can find Preterism in other church documents, but that would be for another thread for when I have more time.
No you can't 'find Preterism in other church documents'. At best you can find statements in other church documents which are compatible with Praeterism, but you can't actually find Praeterism itself. Are you sure you're certain of what Praeterism is? How familiar are you with the teaching? Have you been a Praeterist long, or is it a new thing with you?
This is supposed to be a thread that actually challenges Preterism biblically. This, you have failed to do.
Clearly you didn't even bother reading the other links and documents I provided, in which I did exactly that. If you're not actually interested in reading anything which challenges your point of view, just say so. You can say something like 'I'm happy with my view, and I don't like being challenged - I don't want to read things which disagree with my view'. I'll understand. I just don't believe that's a valid approach to Bible study.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

To date, you've tried to contest the second of these points, to no avail. You haven't even attempted the other two..
As I have already pointed out, point 3 is irrelevant, even if I were to shape my eschatology by a vote in the early church Apparently, you cannot accept the fact that that I am not a full preterist.

As for point 1, That is presumptuous. There are a few pre-70 AD writings that taught that Christ's “coming” was imminent. Now, either these men were preterists, or else they were wrong.
If you personally believe that Christ came for the second time in 70 AD and you have an expectation of him coming a third time, you may certainly consider this point irrelevant to you.
BINGO!!! There goes point #3.

Actually, Christ "Comes" in judgment throughout church history. The Second Advent is a specific event at the end of History. Of course, either you are ignorant of orthodox preterism, or being dishonest. Not sure which.
I've had a good look. He interprets the stone as Christ's first advent, as I already made quite clear in the material in my link and the document I gave you, It's clear you haven't read either - I actually said that Eusebius, Jerome, and Augustine could be said to have held an amillennial view, something I'm sure you would have leaped at if you had even bothered to read what I wrote. But of course, if you're not actually interested in a discussion, then I can't expect you to read either my posts or the material to which I think. You'll just refuse to read material which disagrees with you, and simply repost your view.

Jerome does not say that the Roman empire has yet been destroyed. He believed this was yet future, remember?
I have read a few, not all of them. I would appreciate it if you would post your scriptural objections here, rather than several dozen links. I do have a job to do…
He's speaking here of the part in Daniel 11 which I agree is talking about Antiochus Epiphanes.
You missed the point. Jerome says that there are many who believed that Nero was the Antichrist. This is a preterist view and nothing else, and wsa written well before the 17th Century.
I'd like the full quote please. You haven't provided the reference, and I can't find this quote in my copy of the Schaff edition of the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers.
Hmm, I only gave you three links, and apparently you didn't read them, yet you chastize me for not reading your multitude of links. It is is Jerome's exposition of Daniel. Scroll down to Chapter 11, verses 27-30.
No you can't 'find Preterism in other church documents'. At best you can find statements in other church documents which are compatible with Praeterism, but you can't actually find Praeterism itself. Are you sure you're certain of what Praeterism is? How familiar are you with the teaching? Have you been a Praeterist long, or is it a new thing with you?
C.mon Fortigurn. You can make the same argument with any doctrine. The system known as Calvinism was formally introduced in the 17th Century, but it was hardly a novelty. If I find teachings that are compatible with Preterism, I have found Preterism. As I have shown above, there were many Christians who considered Nero to be the Antichrist. Unless you can find another system to which this is compatible, it is Preterism. Like it or not, the teaching that encompass Preterism were around before the 17th century.
Clearly you didn't even bother reading the other links and documents I provided, in which I did exactly that. If you're not actually interested in reading anything which challenges your point of view, just say so. You can say something like 'I'm happy with my view, and I don't like being challenged - I don't want to read things which disagree with my view'. I'll understand. I just don't believe that's a valid approach to Bible study.
As I said above, I do have a job. I would appreciate your specific scriptural arguments here, rather than have to march through your jungle of links.

Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

puritan lad wrote:As for point 1, That is presumptuous. There are a few pre-70 AD writings that taught that Christ's “coming” was imminent. Now, either these men were preterists, or else they were wrong.
A belief in the imminent return of Christ is not a distinguishing feature of Praeterism. There are plenty of Futurists who believe in the imminent return of Christ. Of course anyone in the 1st century who believed that Christ's coming was imminent, was wrong.
Actually, Christ "Comes" in judgment throughout church history. The Second Advent is a specific event at the end of History. Of course, either you are ignorant of orthodox preterism, or being dishonest. Not sure which.
No, I simply wasn't entirely familiar with which of the many version of 'orthodox preterism' you hold.

I have read a few, not all of them. I would appreciate it if you would post your scriptural objections here, rather than several dozen links. I do have a job to do…
I gave you three simple links to Scriptural objections.
You missed the point. Jerome says that there are many who believed that Nero was the Antichrist. This is a preterist view and nothing else, and wsa written well before the 17th Century.
No, you are missing the point. Firstly they believed that this Nero would be raised in the future as the future antiChrist. That is not a Praeterist view. Secondly, even if they had believed that Nero had been the antiChrist in the 1st century and would not rise again, this would not necessarily make them a Praeterist. That is not a defining belief of Praeterism. It is simply a belief compatible with Praeterism.

The defining belief of Praeterism is the belief that the key prophetic passages (Daniel 2, 7, 8 and 9, the Olivet Discourse, 2 Thessalonians 2, and Revelation 5-20), were fulfilled in the 1st century. This is common to all forms of Praeterism.

What you are doing is equivalent to saying that Puritan is a Catholic simply because Catholics believe in the trinity and Puritans believe in the trinity. The trinity is a not a belief definitive of Puritans.
Hmm, I only gave you three links, and apparently you didn't read them, yet you chastize me for not reading your multitude of links.
On the contrary, you didn't supply any links at all. You gave me partial quotes, and you didn't even cite the title of the work being quoted, or the place in the work from which the passage was quoted (with one exception, the quote from Clement). You certainly didn't provide any links.
C.mon Fortigurn. You can make the same argument with any doctrine.
No, only the unBiblical doctrines.
The system known as Calvinism was formally introduced in the 17th Century, but it was hardly a novelty.
On the contrary, the system known as 'Calvinism' was a novelty precisely because it was introduced in the 17th century. It didn't exist before then. That's why it's called 'Calvinism', because Calvin invented it.
If I find teachings that are compatible with Preterism, I have found Preterism.
No you haven't, you've just found teachings that are compatible with Praeterism. What you're saying is equivalent to saying that if you've found teachings that are compatible with Puritanism, you've found a Puritan. Well the pope believes in the trinity, and the trinity is compatible with Puritainism, so the pope must be a Puritan.
As I have shown above, there were many Christians who considered Nero to be the Antichrist. Unless you can find another system to which this is compatible, it is Preterism.
It's compatible with Historicism.
Like it or not, the teaching that encompass Preterism were around before the 17th century.
All you have to do is show me the evidence, and then try to convince the preteristarchive, which has come to the opposite conclusion despite years of searching desparately through thousands of pages of material covering centuries.
As I said above, I do have a job. I would appreciate your specific scriptural arguments here, rather than have to march through your jungle of links.
I gave you three simple and clear links which contained Scriptural arguments against Praeterism.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

As I have shown above, there were many Christians who considered Nero to be the Antichrist. Unless you can find another system to which this is compatible, it is Preterism.
Say what? Can you show me one historicist who considered Nero to b the antichrist?

Give me a week. I'm coming up with all kinds of good stuff. Preterism is all over church history.

Of course, you may object and suggest that they are merely teachings compatible with preterism. The problem is that they are not compatible with any other eschatology.

BTW: You're Trinity comparison is full of holes. All Christians believe in the Trinity. Those who deny it are antichrist and will die in their sins. But that is for another thread.

Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

puritan lad wrote:
Say what?
As I have pointed out, the difference between Historicism, Praeterism, and Futurism, is the time that the the key prophetic passages (Daniel 2, 7, 8 and 9, the Olivet Discourse, 2 Thessalonians 2, and Revelation 5-20), are fulfilled. Praterists say they were all fulfilled in the 1st century, Futurists say they have yet to be fulfilled, Historicists say that their fulfillment occupies the time between the 1st century and the return of Christ.
Can you show me one historicist who considered Nero to b the antichrist?
Not that I can think of, no. But I don't need to. I only need to demonstrate that such a belief is not incompatible with Historicism, any more than believing that Napoleon was the antiChrist, as some Historicists believed.
Give me a week. I'm coming up with all kinds of good stuff. Preterism is all over church history.
No you're not, you're just coming up with bits and pieces which are compatible with Praeterism. You need to find the unique teaching of Praeterism that the key prophetic passages (Daniel 2, 7, 8 and 9, the Olivet Discourse, 2 Thessalonians 2, and Revelation 5-20), were fulfilled in the 1st century. This is common to all forms of Praeterism.
Of course, you may object and suggest that they are merely teachings compatible with preterism.
Very likely, until you get to the 17th century.
The problem is that they are not compatible with any other eschatology.
Do show me. The preteristarchive has been trying to do this for years, and they have finally conceded:
Today's contemporary "Partial Preterism" was primarily developed during the Reformation era in the hands of Calvin, Grotius and Hammond, though the Jesuit Alcazar is possibly the earliest to present a fully developed system.
Emphasis mine. They can't go back any earlier than this.
BTW: You're Trinity comparison is full of holes. All Christians believe in the Trinity.

You have not understood my analogy. The proposition that 'All Christians believe in the Trinity' is what destroys the claim that a Puritan is a Catholic simply because a Puritan believes the trinity. That is my point. The trinity is not a definitive doctrine of a Puritan, even if it is a definitive doctrine of a Christian.
Those who deny it are antichrist and will die in their sins.
Ah, if only that's what the Bible says. Unfortunately, it doesn't.
But that is for another thread.
No it's not, you're not allowed to debate the trinity here.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

No you're not, you're just coming up with bits and pieces which are compatible with Praeterism. You need to find the unique teaching of Praeterism that the key prophetic passages (Daniel 2, 7, 8 and 9, the Olivet Discourse, 2 Thessalonians 2, and Revelation 5-20), were fulfilled in the 1st century. This is common to all forms of Praeterism.
I am doing just that. (I don't need to "find the unique teaching of Praeterism). I just need to prove that it was a common belief in the church throughout history, whether or not the writer himself actually believed it. I have already done so with Daniel 2 (Jerome). Despite your objections, he clearly taught it's fulfillment at Christ's First Advent, not his second. More coming.