The thousand year reign

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

The thousand year reign

Post by FFC »

John wrote:Rev 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

Rev 20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received [his] mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This [is] the first resurrection.

Is this a literal earthly thousand year reign of Christ or spiritual symbolism?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

Premillennialists believe so.

Amillennialists and Postmillennialist (like myself) do not.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

puritan lad wrote:Premillennialists believe so.

Amillennialists and Postmillennialist (like myself) do not.
What exactly do you believe the thousand year reign is?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

FFC,

Check out this article by postmillennialist Kenneth Gentry.

https://host186.ipowerweb.com/~kenneth1/millennium.htm
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
KrisW
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The thousand year reign

Post by KrisW »

Well, THIS might bring some more polemecists out of the woodwork, but...... :esad:

I feel Post-Millenialism is a danger to the Church. The belief that Believers have to do 'good works' to build a Millenial Kingdom BEFORE Jesus will return is anathema to the concept of "Salvation by Grace". And, quite frankly, it echoes some of the concepts in Shite Muslim eschatology.
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

Christ comes and takes His people to heaven and those that did not believe in Him are dead as this happens.The holy ones open and review the records of the world for a thousand years and then descend with the New Jerusalem.While they hold the judgment Satan is in total darkness here on earth and wanders about while carcasses of those that have not been obedient and faithful to God lie in the whole earth.At the end of the 1000 yrs the wicked are raised and the devil fools them that they go and capture new Jerusalem as it descends and then fire and brimstone descend and consume them ,but not for eternity(Malachi 4 v1).Read Rev 19 and 20
Last edited by oscarsiziba on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
KrisW
Recognized Member

Post by KrisW »

Another thing that tends to annoy me is Christians who post llllloooonnnnggg doctrinal tracts from elsewhere with no personal commentary. as if they they were a papal bull. :shakehead:
Last edited by KrisW on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

And who has been doing that? :econfused:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
KrisW
Recognized Member

Post by KrisW »

:shakehead: :shakehead:

see post#5 in this thread.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

KrisW wrote::shakehead: :shakehead:

see post#5 in this thread.
Kris, post #5 in this thread is none other that your very own (I'm sure you meant post #6?). Perhaps you need to stop shaking your head as it seems you're getting dizzy in the process :wink: .
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

oscarsiziba,

Consider this a warning for the second instance of cutting and pasting from an outside web site without attribution.

Post a link within your own comments if you wish to reference something like this or make a reasonable size cut and paste with a link or reference.

Thanks,

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
KrisW
Recognized Member

Post by KrisW »

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes I meant post #6...thank you for pointing that out before I had a cahnce to edit it :shakehead: :shakehead:
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

KrisW wrote::roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes I meant post #6...thank you for pointing that out before I had a cahnce to edit it :shakehead: :shakehead:
Ah, that's better. You need to counter-balance the head-shaking with some eye-rolling. :poke:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
KrisW
Recognized Member

Post by KrisW »

Nevertheless, I do find find disturbing parallels between PostMillenialism and the Shia belief in the 12 Iman.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

KrisW wrote:Nevertheless, I do find find disturbing parallels between PostMillenialism and the Shia belief in the 12 Iman.
(I hope you do know I'm just messin' with you! :lol: )

If you're in the mood for elaborating I would love to read your take on these parallels (perhaps in another thread so as to keep this one on topic?).