Becoming a Saint

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
Veronica
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Veronica »

"Maybe you can show me some evidence otherwise."

*shrugs* Why should I want to show you otherwise? I agree. ;) At least, in part...our prayers can still effect the outcome, though Jesus does have the "last word" - so to speak. And we still appear to have differing veiws of what "mediator" mean. Catholics believe that this verse means that Christ is the one and only mediator of redemption. If it meant that we should only ask Jesus to pray for us, then the bible would contradict itself (which, I'm sure you'll agree, is not possible :))

So anyways, the issue at hand is not asking others to pray for us, but whether we can ask those in heaven to pray for us, right? If so, shall we continue our discussion? :)

God bless!
Veronica
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Veronica, I have asked this before. Where in the Bible does anyone ask the dead to pray for them? As the previous verses I quoted shows, there is a difference between the living and the dead. Dead priests do not continue to be priests. Where in the Bible does it show that the dead can hear you? How can the dead react to millions of simultaneous prayers?

In all the cases where people are asked to pray for others, it is the living.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Veronica wrote:"Maybe you can show me some evidence otherwise."

*shrugs* Why should I want to show you otherwise? I agree. ;) At least, in part...our prayers can still effect the outcome, though Jesus does have the "last word" - so to speak. And we still appear to have differing veiws of what "mediator" mean. Catholics believe that this verse means that Christ is the one and only mediator of redemption. If it meant that we should only ask Jesus to pray for us, then the bible would contradict itself (which, I'm sure you'll agree, is not possible :))

So anyways, the issue at hand is not asking others to pray for us, but whether we can ask those in heaven to pray for us, right? If so, shall we continue our discussion? :)

God bless!
Veronica
Sure. Let me ask you a question, Veronica. What do you think would be the point of asking someone in heaven to pray for us?

FFC
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

To which Veronica could counter, what do you think is the point of asking anyone on earth to pray for you? ;)
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

I hope everyone doesn't mind me interjecting a bit here (as if that'd stopped before :lol:).

First, I'm glad to see the conversation moving away from the issue of Christ's sole mediatorship role as it is rather pointless (the argument, that is) since no one is claiming the diminishing of that role in any way by asking for intercessory prayers, which are greatly encouraged in scripture (1 Timothy 2:1).

As to the question of why we would need to ask someone in heaven to pray for us, it would also seem rather obvious to be for the same reason we would ask our fellow Christians here on earth to pray for us (sorry FFC, I don't mean to summarily dismiss the question, unless you have another follow-up question in mind, in which case please let us know and we'll try to answer it as well).

So in summary, unless one believes in soul sleep or that heaven is currently devoid of anyone other than God, Christ, and the angels, the issue then becomes a 2-part question:

1) Can the ones in heaven pray for us (can they 'hear' or requests for prayer)?

2) Is there any biblical evidence for it?

I will start with the second question first as the answer to that might dictate whether or not we can continue the discussion to attempt to
answer the first. For Catholics, there is ample scriptural proof that yes, we can pray for the departed ones, and yes, they can pray for us. The problem is that most of this proof is in the deuterocanoncial books that most non-catholics consider apocryphal (non-canonical), as well as in oral traditions. And there lies the problem; as long as we're not working from the same set of bases, there will always be non-solvable disagreements. In order to move forward, however, I will not consider any sources from the deutero books for obvious reasons. I will also admit that the case for saintly intercessory prayer is weakened without the deutero proof but there's still a good case nonetheless. In addition, since Catholics firmly believe that the saints are very much alive with Christ in heaven, the question of praying to the dead is moot. The saints in heaven are not separated from the Catholic (universal) church of Christ by virtue of death (Romans 8:38-39), as Christ abolished death (2 Timothy 1:10) and that we are all one body in Christ (Romans 12:5, 1 Corinthians 12:12). It also certainly does not fall in the category of necromancy. Intercessory prayers are community prayers and not designed to conjure up information from the dead. Incidently, the very fact that the bible forbids necromancy is proof in and of itself that communication between this realm and the after one is quite possible, otherwise what is the bible exactly forbidding? In any case, the difference between necromancy and intercessory prayers is the difference between night and day. I hope this is clear.

Then the issue comes down to answering the first question. Can the ones in heaven hear our prayers and intercede with Christ on our behalf (again, much the same our Christian brothers and sisters here on earth can affect prayers on our behalf to whatever extent possible)?

I will attempt to tackle August's question as to how our heavenly saints can hear our prayers and does that imply that they are omniscient? This in and of itself has 2 parts that need to ne answered . a) Can they hear our prayers? The most scriptural 'proof' of this I've seen is Revelation 5:8 where John sees the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God in the form of incense (this quote, by the way, is why Catholics use incense during mass). I could already almost hear the voices of decent, saying that Revelation is highly symbolic and such and that's invariably going to lead the discussion into what can and cannot be taken literally in scripture, as well as arguments of objectivity and subjectivity. That is why I offer these so-called proofs at face value. Make of them as you wish.

The second part of the question, b) Must the saints be omniscient to hear millions of prayers? At first glance one would think so but the reality is that it is not necessary. After all, angels are at times aware of what goes on on earth and can intercede; yet, angels are not omniscient. The bible even directs us to ask those in heaven to pray with us in Psalm 103:20-21 and in Psalm 148:1-2. Besides which, to presume that saints need to be omniscient
to hear and intercede for millions of people is to presume that heaven is operating under the constraints of time and space, which is of this, physical world. Heaven is not of this world and not bound by any of its constraints. Therefore, saints need not be omniscient in order to respond to our prayers and need not even respond in what we perceive to be a timely fashion. God's will knows no boundary and no limitation.

In summary, the saints (including Mary) are alive and well in the community of Christ and, just like angels, can praise God and can pray for us. Non-catholics may disagree with it and may claim it's unbiblical. I would say, even without the deutero books, there's still a good case for it, albeit highly interpretive. What invariably gets missed, however, in discussions such as these with Catholics is the centrality of Christ. To outsiders looking in onto the Catholic faith, it looks as though it's all so superfluous. To us, it is centered around Christ and embedded in our desire to glorify Him.

God bless,

Byblos.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Very Good Summary Byblos

August
Old School

Post by August »

Byblos wrote:I hope everyone doesn't mind me interjecting a bit here (as if that'd stopped before :lol:).
Not at all, I was wondering when you would show up here. And before we continue, please remember that this discussion is to edify and learn, and not to denegrate and insult each other. Ultimately, we want to live Godly lives, so the discussion should be seen in that light. I know that it's easy to get carried away when one is passionate about a topic.
First, I'm glad to see the conversation moving away from the issue of Christ's sole mediatorship role as it is rather pointless (the argument, that is) since no one is claiming the diminishing of that role in any way by asking for intercessory prayers, which are greatly encouraged in scripture
1. I'm sorry that we have to disagree right at the outset. I agree that prayer for others is encouraged in the Bible. However, your statement seems to be inaccurate as far as RC prayers to Mary and the saints are concerned.

2. I have looked at dozens of RC prayers, and while they include requests for intercession, it is not the only thing they include.

Mary:
"O Mother of Perpetual Help, grant that I may ever invoke thy most powerful name, which is the safeguard of the living and the salvation of the dying."
"Teach us to persevere in listening to the Word, and to be docile to the voice of the Spirit"
" Immaculate Virgin, here I am at your feet once again,
full of devotion and gratitude.
I return to this historic Piazza di Spagna
on the solemn day of your feast
to pray for the beloved city of Rome,
for the Church, for the whole world.
In you, "humble and highest of creatures",
divine grace had the full victory over evil."

Saints:
"O little St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, who during your short life on earth became a mirror of angelic purity, of love strong as death, and of wholehearted abandonment to God, now that you rejoice in the reward of your virtues, cast a glance of pity on me as I leave all things in your hands. Make my troubles your own - speak a word for me to our Lady Immaculate, whose flower of special love you were - to that Queen of heaven "who smiled on you at the dawn of life.""
"O blessed Joseph, faithful guardian of my Redeemer, Jesus Christ, protector of thy chaste spouse, the virgin Mother of God, I choose thee this day to be my special patron and advocate and I firmly resolve to honor thee all the days of my life. Therefore I humbly beseech thee to receive me as thy client, to instruct me in every doubt, to comfort me in every affliction, to obtain for me and for all the knowledge and love of the Heart of Jesus, and finally to defend and protect me at the hour of my death. Amen"
4. There are many more examples, but these are fairly representative. It is clear that these are not requests to be prayed for, but prayers to ask for help, the invocation of names other than that of Jesus for salvation, teaching, protection, instruction and other things that are exclusively the domain of God.

5. There is not a single example in the Bible of anyone praying to a person, dead or alive, in this fashion. I think that to implore anyone but God for protection on the deathbed is clearly more than asking for intercessory prayer.
As to the question of why we would need to ask someone in heaven to pray for us, it would also seem rather obvious to be for the same reason we would ask our fellow Christians here on earth to pray for us
6. I don't think it is that clear. If you ask someone in heaven to pray for you, you are assuming that that person can hear you, and has some kind of access to God that people on earth don't have. You also assume, since the prayers are offered to saints, that they are in a position closer to God than you or others. This presupposes an RC definition of saints. Maybe you can expand on that a bit.
So in summary, unless one believes in soul sleep or that heaven is currently devoid of anyone other than God, Christ, and the angels, the issue then becomes a 2-part question:

Agreed.
I will start with the second question first as the answer to that might dictate whether or not we can continue the discussion to attempt to
answer the first. For Catholics, there is ample scriptural proof that yes, we can pray for the departed ones, and yes, they can pray for us. The problem is that most of this proof is in the deuterocanoncial books that most non-catholics consider apocryphal (non-canonical), as well as in oral traditions. And there lies the problem; as long as we're not working from the same set of bases, there will always be non-solvable disagreements.
7. This is what I concluded from my research in the matter too. At the heart of most disagreements between RC's and others lies, as I said at the beginning, the issue of Sola Scriptura. It does make it harder when one has to contend with tradition and extra-canonical books. However, I believe that we all agree on Biblical primacy?

8. It is interesting that there appear no prayers ot Mary until 400 years after the Pentacost, and the worship of saints appeared in the 5th century. That was just after the appearance of the apocyphal gospels, which contained many fantastic stories about Mary and her exploits equal to that of Jesus. The RC regarded these accounts as false and spurious, but curiously some of them have made their way into RC dogma throughout the centuries, like the immaculate conception which only appeared in Lyon in 1140. Even the "Hail Mary" was not started until the 13th century and the last part in the 16th century. This may point to cultural development of the doctrine, rather than oral apostolical tradition.
In order to move forward, however, I will not consider any sources from the deutero books for obvious reasons. I will also admit that the case for saintly intercessory prayer is weakened without the deutero proof but there's still a good case nonetheless.
9. Thanks, it is hard to move the discussion forward if we consult what I consider secondary sources, primary as they may be for you.
In addition, since Catholics firmly believe that the saints are very much alive with Christ in heaven, the question of praying to the dead is moot. The saints in heaven are not separated from the Catholic (universal) church of Christ by virtue of death (Romans 8:38-39), as Christ abolished death (2 Timothy 1:10) and that we are all one body in Christ (Romans 12:5, 1 Corinthians 12:12).
10. I just want to be clear here. It may just be a terminology issue, but here you are saying that you indeed pray to the dead, you don't just ask for intercession? Asking someone to pray for me our my family is not a prayer to that person, it is just a request. While prayer includes making requests, it also includes to express our needs and to worship.

11. Prayer is always properly adressed to the Father, for these things: Mat 6:6, John 16:23 (to the Father, in the Name of Jesus), Eph 1:16, 17, 3:14-16, and to Jesus, Acts 7:59 and 2 Cor 12:8. Please look at the contents of those prayers, and compare them to the prayers qutoed above.

12. Romans 8:38, 39 says this:
Rom 8:38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,
Rom 8:39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
I don't read there that it says that we are not seperated by death from the church, but that death cannot seperate us from the love of God. If what you said is true, that there is no difference between the bdily living and the bodily dead, then we are into a whole new discussion about the nature of man.

13. Paul says:
Phi 1:23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
Phi 1:24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.
Why is it better for Paul to remain in the flesh if there is no difference? He says that it is to remain in the progress and joy of the Phillipians faith. If there was no difference between the living and dead then it would not have mattered whether he remained alive or not.

14. I agree that the church is indestructable, but I do not agree that there are no boundaries between the bodily living and dead.

15. To read into 2 Tim 1:10 that Christ removed those boundaries is not applicable to this situation. The death being spoken about here is spiritual death that comes from unatoned sin. It does not say that the boundaries in the bodily death has been removed.
1Co 15:40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. 1Co 15:50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
1Co 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."
1Co 15:55 "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"
is a very clear indication that these are two kinds of existence, the earthly and the heavenly.

16. This is already getting long, but as far as the one body is concernec, Jesus sent preachers, prophets, teachers and other gifts to the church. Why do that if the one body can be taught and guided by those that have died, as in the prayers qouted above? I already mentioned Heb 7:23, that one cannot continue earthly duties once you have passed on.
It also certainly does not fall in the category of necromancy. Intercessory prayers are community prayers and not designed to conjure up information from the dead.
17. I will refer you to the prayers above. E.g. "...to instruct me in every doubt,..." (Prayer to St Joseph)
Incidently, the very fact that the bible forbids necromancy is proof in and of itself that communication between this realm and the after one is quite possible, otherwise what is the bible exactly forbidding?
18. The danger is that you do not know who you are communicating with. The act was forbidden because of the danger that it may conjure up demons and not the departed which you want.

19. The practice is forbidden because it is seen as taking away from your relationship with God:
Isa 8:19 And when they say to you, "Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter," should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?
20. The dead cannot help anyone:
Ecc 9:4 But he who is joined with all the living has hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion.
Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished, and forever they have no more share in all that is done under the sun.
They cannot share in what is done in this dimension, "under the sun".
In any case, the difference between necromancy and intercessory prayers is the difference between night and day. I hope this is clear.
21. I find it to be unclear in light of the types of prayers offered under the guise of intercession.
I will attempt to tackle August's question as to how our heavenly saints can hear our prayers and does that imply that they are omniscient? This in and of itself has 2 parts that need to ne answered . a) Can they hear our prayers? The most scriptural 'proof' of this I've seen is Revelation 5:8 where John sees the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God in the form of incense (this quote, by the way, is why Catholics use incense during mass).
22. Rev 5:8 says:
Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
I think it is a stretch to add "in heaven here". The cross-reference is to Psalm 141:2:
Psa 141:2 Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!
David, at the time of praying that, was pretty much stil alive, as are all saints who offer prayers of intercessory nature. Saints are all believers :
2Th 1:10 when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed.
There is nothng within the context of Rev 5:8 to say that it was prayers of the dead saints. It seems to be inclusive of all believers on heaven and earth.
I could already almost hear the voices of decent, saying that Revelation is highly symbolic and such and that's invariably going to lead the discussion into what can and cannot be taken literally in scripture, as well as arguments of objectivity and subjectivity. That is why I offer these so-called proofs at face value. Make of them as you wish.
23. I don't think this is a question of symbolism or allegory, but what the Biblical definition of "saints" is. I think we can both agree that prayers are not incense, but are as the smoke of incense, rising up to be heard by God.
The second part of the question, b) Must the saints be omniscient to hear millions of prayers? At first glance one would think so but the reality is that it is not necessary. After all, angels are at times aware of what goes on on earth and can intercede; yet, angels are not omniscient. The bible even directs us to ask those in heaven to pray with us in Psalm 103:20-21 and in Psalm 148:1-2.
24. I think we must tread carefully here, since Jesus can also be seen as an angel in some OT contexts. Anyhow, people are not angels. Angels appear in the Bible in response to being sent by God for a specific purpose, and each of them are shown to have a particular function. Yes they can intercede, but they do so in response to God, not man. (Ps 103:20).

25. In Ps 103: 20,21 David is imploring the angels to praise God. Since they already do it continually, he is tying his thoughts to theirs in that God is worthy of adoration and worship. It does not say that we should ask them to pray with us, rather that is stands as testimony to God's love (v4), mercy (v4) etc. If we read it like you do, then we should, in verse 22, pray with His actions, which is kind of difficult. It is a testimony, which we agree with, and offer up as praise to God.

26. Ps 148 is pretty much the same thing. It is a testimony to God's greatness, not a prayer with angels, the sun, moon or heavens and waters, or beasts, trees, livestock or creeping things. Or are you saying we should also pray with the cows and cockroaches? These are things in which God is praised, not things that actually, physically praise Him. The fatc that angels praise Him all the time is to show that He is worthy of praise, just like His creation shows.
Besides which, to presume that saints need to be omniscient
to hear and intercede for millions of people is to presume that heaven is operating under the constraints of time and space, which is of this, physical world. Heaven is not of this world and not bound by any of its constraints. Therefore, saints need not be omniscient in order to respond to our prayers and need not even respond in what we perceive to be a timely fashion. God's will knows no boundary and no limitation.
27. John, this worries me a bit. Are you equating God's will and the power of the dead? I have already shown in 20. above that the dead cannot have any share in what happens on earth. I agree that these are different dimensions, but I do not agree that you can equate Gods ability to straddle these dimensions with that of the bodily dead.

28. There is no evidence that those in heaven have any idea what is going on here on earth. The evidence for that is when Saul summons Samuel from the dead (1Sam 28:7-19). Samuel had no idea why he was being called on by Saul. Yet, while alive, he was Saul's closest advisor.
In summary, the saints (including Mary) are alive and well in the community of Christ and, just like angels, can praise God and can pray for us. Non-catholics may disagree with it and may claim it's unbiblical. I would say, even without the deutero books, there's still a good case for it, albeit highly interpretive. What invariably gets missed, however, in discussions such as these with Catholics is the centrality of Christ. To outsiders looking in onto the Catholic faith, it looks as though it's all so superfluous. To us, it is centered around Christ and embedded in our desire to glorify Him.
John, I don't doubt your motives for a second. However, as I looked through the RC prayers, there are some that are truly magnificent in their praise of God, and there are some that scare me. I cannot find, nor have you presented, any direct evidence from the Scriptures that shows any practice similar to the prayers to the dead. The evidence you presented needs some plumbing to fit with the practice, as I hopefully demonstrated. I have shown in several places that the bodily dead have passed on, and do not have anything more to do with those on earth. They are not aware of what goes on here, as shown by Samuel.

I ask that everyone who reads this know that I respect you greatly, and that I wish for everyone to consider the issue prayerfully in the light of Scripture.
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:As to the question of why we would need to ask someone in heaven to pray for us, it would also seem rather obvious to be for the same reason we would ask our fellow Christians here on earth to pray for us (sorry FFC, I don't mean to summarily dismiss the question, unless you have another follow-up question in mind, in which case please let us know and we'll try to answer it as well).
Indeed I do. :wink:

We ask our fellow saints here on earth to pray for us because we are instructed in the bible to do so. Hey, I need all the help I can get. If I was instructed in the bible to pray to Mary or Peter or any of the departed saints I would do that too but I don't see it anywhere.

Assuming the Catholics are right on this topic, something as big as praying to and having prayers answered/passed along by the heavy hitters in heaven should be all over the bible.

As far as I can remember, on this earth we are told to confess our sins to one another, pray for one another, love one another etc. We are representatives of Christ in this world and we need each other's prayers and support and love and exhortation and encouragement etc.

So I ask again. If we are one in Christ and He gave us each other here on earth to pray for and be prayed for, what is the point of praying to the saints in heaven? Are we not enough for each other? If you say clout then I ask who has more clout than a blood washed child of God, adopted by the Spirit and made Holy and righteous by Him. If you say Mary the Mother of Christ then you are opening up a whole 'nother can of worms. :wink:

FFC
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Veronica
Recognized Member

Post by Veronica »

"Sure. Let me ask you a question, Veronica. What do you think would be the point of asking someone in heaven to pray for us? "

I know there are many other points to be discussed, but for now this is the only question I have time to answer...to be honest, I haven't even read all the replies yet, so someone may have answered this already :P

But anyways, here's the answer to your question.

"the prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects" (Jas. 5:16).
The souls in heaven are more perfect than we (and here is when a debate on purgatory comes in :) )

God bless!
Veronica

P.s. Thanks for intervening Byblos! This discussion could be going on for months otherwise, considering how seldomly I have the opportunity to reply. ;)
FFC

Post by FFC »

Veronica wrote:"Sure. Let me ask you a question, Veronica. What do you think would be the point of asking someone in heaven to pray for us? "

I know there are many other points to be discussed, but for now this is the only question I have time to answer...to be honest, I haven't even read all the replies yet, so someone may have answered this already :P

But anyways, here's the answer to your question.

"the prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects" (Jas. 5:16).
The souls in heaven are more perfect than we :)
My imperfect mind is asking at this point "why ask any of my flawed fellow christians to pray for me then when I can go right to the ones who can get results?" :P

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:My imperfect mind is asking at this point "why ask any of my flawed fellow christians to pray for me then when I can go right to the ones who can get results?" :P
Ah but you see, your 'flawed' fellow christians that are in heaven are not so flawed after all as nothing impure can enter heaven (Rev. 21:25 - Veronica's right, this might lead into a purgatory discussion but I would leave that for another thread). So I go back to my original premise, if you believe the departed saints are indeed in heaven, and if you think your very flawed fellow christians here on earth can help you with their intercessory prayers, how much more can your very perfect fellow christians up in heaven help you? And if you do not see the need for their intercessory prayers, then I do not see why you would see the need for ours (here on earth).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

August wrote:
Byblos wrote:I hope everyone doesn't mind me interjecting a bit here (as if that'd stopped before :lol:).

Not at all, I was wondering when you would show up here. And before we continue, please remember that this discussion is to edify and learn, and not to denigrate and insult each other. Ultimately, we want to live Godly lives, so the discussion should be seen in that light. I know that it's easy to get carried away when one is passionate about a topic.

August,

I have zero doubt that your motives are anything but good. You know well how highly I think of you.
August wrote:
First, I'm glad to see the conversation moving away from the issue of Christ's sole mediatorship role as it is rather pointless (the argument, that is) since no one is claiming the diminishing of that role in any way by asking for intercessory prayers, which are greatly encouraged in scripture

1. I'm sorry that we have to disagree right at the outset. I agree that prayer for others is encouraged in the Bible. However, your statement seems to be inaccurate as far as RC prayers to Mary and the saints are concerned.

2. I have looked at dozens of RC prayers, and while they include requests for intercession, it is not the only thing they include.

Mary:
"O Mother of Perpetual Help, grant that I may ever invoke thy most powerful name, which is the safeguard of the living and the salvation of the dying."
"Teach us to persevere in listening to the Word, and to be docile to the voice of the Spirit"
" Immaculate Virgin, here I am at your feet once again,
full of devotion and gratitude.
I return to this historic Piazza di Spagna
on the solemn day of your feast
to pray for the beloved city of Rome,
for the Church, for the whole world.
In you, "humble and highest of creatures",
divine grace had the full victory over evil."

Saints:
"O little St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, who during your short life on earth became a mirror of angelic purity, of love strong as death, and of wholehearted abandonment to God, now that you rejoice in the reward of your virtues, cast a glance of pity on me as I leave all things in your hands. Make my troubles your own - speak a word for me to our Lady Immaculate, whose flower of special love you were - to that Queen of heaven "who smiled on you at the dawn of life.""
"O blessed Joseph, faithful guardian of my Redeemer, Jesus Christ, protector of thy chaste spouse, the virgin Mother of God, I choose thee this day to be my special patron and advocate and I firmly resolve to honor thee all the days of my life. Therefore I humbly beseech thee to receive me as thy client, to instruct me in every doubt, to comfort me in every affliction, to obtain for me and for all the knowledge and love of the Heart of Jesus, and finally to defend and protect me at the hour of my death. Amen"

I never claimed the doctrine wasn't taken too far. In fact I'd be hard pressed not to agree with you given some of the totally bizarre prayers we see for Mary and the saints. Lord knows the RCC hasn't done much to correct it and at times even encouraged it. But that hardly invalidates the puritan premise behind it (you think I can use the word puritan without getting into trouble? :wink:). An example of a prayer from the communion of saints would be the 'Hail Mary' where it concludes with a request for Mary to pray for us (the rest are bits and pieces plucked right out of scripture). That is the extent of the doctrine and that's where it should stop. Anything else is indefensible.
August wrote:4. There are many more examples, but these are fairly representative. It is clear that these are not requests to be prayed for, but prayers to ask for help, the invocation of names other than that of Jesus for salvation, teaching, protection, instruction and other things that are exclusively the domain of God.

Couldn't agree more.
August wrote:5. There is not a single example in the Bible of anyone praying to a person, dead or alive, in this fashion. I think that to implore anyone but God for protection on the deathbed is clearly more than asking for intercessory prayer.

I think the term 'pray to' has been seen by non-catholics in a totally wrong context wrt communion of the saints and I believe a re-definition is in order. We pray to God and only to God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). The term 'praying to' the saints does not in any way mean the same as praying to God or in any shape mean an act of worship. 'Praying to' the saints means nothing more than to ask for intercessory prayers, period.
August wrote:
As to the question of why we would need to ask someone in heaven to pray for us, it would also seem rather obvious to be for the same reason we would ask our fellow Christians here on earth to pray for us

6. I don't think it is that clear. If you ask someone in heaven to pray for you, you are assuming that that person can hear you, and has some kind of access to God that people on earth don't have. You also assume, since the prayers are offered to saints, that they are in a position closer to God than you or others. This presupposes an RC definition of saints. Maybe you can expand on that a bit.

I don't know what the exact RC definition of a saint but in general, it would mean a person who is exceptionally holy and virtuous, and who has either died defending the faith or, after his death, has performed at least one miracle (an act inexplicable by modern science). As to the question of whether or not they can hear us, if the dead can hear us (through the act of necromancy, though forbidden), how much more possible is it that the living in Christ can hear us?
August wrote:

Agreed.

August wrote:
answer the first. For Catholics, there is ample scriptural proof that yes, we can pray for the departed ones, and yes, they can pray for us. The problem is that most of this proof is in the deuterocanoncial books that most non-catholics consider apocryphal (non-canonical), as well as in oral traditions. And there lies the problem; as long as we're not working from the same set of bases, there will always be non-solvable disagreements.

7. This is what I concluded from my research in the matter too. At the heart of most disagreements between RC's and others lies, as I said at the beginning, the issue of Sola Scriptura. It does make it harder when one has to contend with tradition and extra-canonical books. However, I believe that we all agree on Biblical primacy?

Of course we agree on biblical primacy, it's just that like you said, we do not agree on what is biblical. But we also agreed to only use what we deem as commonly biblical (however much it pains me :roll:).
August wrote:8. It is interesting that there appear no prayers ot Mary until 400 years after the Pentacost, and the worship of saints appeared in the 5th century. That was just after the appearance of the apocyphal gospels, which contained many fantastic stories about Mary and her exploits equal to that of Jesus. The RC regarded these accounts as false and spurious, but curiously some of them have made their way into RC dogma throughout the centuries, like the immaculate conception which only appeared in Lyon in 1140. Even the "Hail Mary" was not started until the 13th century and the last part in the 16th century. This may point to cultural development of the doctrine, rather than oral apostolical tradition.

A prayer to St. Joseph claimed to be as early as 50 A.D., long before the death of the apostles (I have no proof of the date, however):
PRAYER TO ST. JOSEPH (50 A.D.)
O St. Joseph whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires.
O St. Joseph do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your Heavenly power I may offer my Thanksgiving and Homage to the most Loving of Fathers.
O St. Joseph I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath.
St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us. Amen.

The catacombs just outside of Rome (left by early christians) have inscriptions asking the martyred Peter and Paul to pray for them (link).

There's also a ton of material of early christians celebrating anniversaries of and praying for the departed but that's for another thread related to purgatory (the other side of the coin).
August wrote:
In order to move forward, however, I will not consider any sources from the deutero books for obvious reasons. I will also admit that the case for saintly intercessory prayer is weakened without the deutero proof but there's still a good case nonetheless.

9. Thanks, it is hard to move the discussion forward if we consult what I consider secondary sources, primary as they may be for you.

I make the concession with full knowledge that the case is considerably weakened bit I agree with you that it is necessary.
August wrote:
In addition, since Catholics firmly believe that the saints are very much alive with Christ in heaven, the question of praying to the dead is moot. The saints in heaven are not separated from the Catholic (universal) church of Christ by virtue of death (Romans 8:38-39), as Christ abolished death (2 Timothy 1:10) and that we are all one body in Christ (Romans 12:5, 1 Corinthians 12:12).

10. I just want to be clear here. It may just be a terminology issue, but here you are saying that you indeed pray to the dead, you don't just ask for intercession? Asking someone to pray for me our my family is not a prayer to that person, it is just a request. While prayer includes making requests, it also includes to express our needs and to worship.

I believe I've clarified what the term 'pray to' means wrt the saints.
August wrote:11. Prayer is always properly adressed to the Father, for these things: Mat 6:6, John 16:23 (to the Father, in the Name of Jesus), Eph 1:16, 17, 3:14-16, and to Jesus, Acts 7:59 and 2 Cor 12:8. Please look at the contents of those prayers, and compare them to the prayers qutoed above.

Nothing I disagree with.
August wrote:12. Romans 8:38, 39 says this:
Rom 8:38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,
Rom 8:39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I don't read there that it says that we are not separated by death from the church, but that death cannot separate us from the love of God. If what you said is true, that there is no difference between the bdily living and the bodily dead, then we are into a whole new discussion about the nature of man.

I'm not sure what you mean by the difference between bodily living and bodily dead but in any case, I didn't say that. The bible, however, does make a difference between the dead and the living and it has nothing to do with physicality; it has to do with spirituality. I'm sure you'll agree with me that the dead in hell are dead in spirit and the alive in heaven are alive in spirit (until the 2nd coming and the resurrection).
August wrote:13. Paul says:
Phi 1:23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
Phi 1:24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.

Why is it better for Paul to remain in the flesh if there is no difference? He says that it is to remain in the progress and joy of the Phillipians faith. If there was no difference between the living and dead then it would not have mattered whether he remained alive or not.

There most certainly is a difference. Paul was saying his ministry here on earth wasn't over yet. He was anxious to depart and be with the Lord (of which he was certain by the way, which is another indication we can trust that Paul and the rest of the apostles - except Judas, perhaps - are indeed in heaven now) but he felt his physical presence was still needed. How does that invalidate or even hinder his ability to affect intercessory help after he departs? It evidently is not the same kind of help (ministry) he was doing in the body but I see nothing that prevents him from praying for us.
August wrote:14. I agree that the church is indestructable, but I do not agree that there are no boundaries between the bodily living and dead.

Again, I made no such claim. But boundaries don't mean total cut-off as is evident by the bible forbidding necromancy.
August wrote:15. To read into 2 Tim 1:10 that Christ removed those boundaries is not applicable to this situation. The death being spoken about here is spiritual death that comes from unatoned sin. It does not say that the boundaries in the bodily death has been removed.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The dead most often spoken of in the bible are the spiritually dead, contrasted against the spiritually alive in heaven. We are instructed not to communicate with the spiritually dead. No such instruction exists for the spiritually alive. How do we know that they are alive? Well, we can certainly know in the case of Mary. She was after all hand-picked by God out of billions to carry his begotten Son. We can certainly know of Paul who he himself was certain was going to be with the Lord after his death. If Paul was so sure, I don't think we should have any doubt concerning the other apostles who were divinely inspired to write the Gospels. Or do you think there is a possibility they could have ended up in hell after the Holy Spirit inspiration? The Catholic Church extends that certainty to anyone proven to have emulated those early saints. I don't think it's a stretch. I could provide personal knowledge but my experience with such matters tells me that anything I offer may be misconstrued as a demonic act rather than a miracle through the grace of God, the intercession of the Holy Spirit, and the saving blood of Christ, in whose name all miracles are made (and there are many).
August wrote:
1Co 15:40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. 1Co 15:50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
1Co 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."
1Co 15:55 "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"
is a very clear indication that these are two kinds of existence, the earthly and the heavenly.

Of course, why would I disagree with any of this? All this is saying is that eventually we will be alive again physically, not just spiritually.
August wrote:16. This is already getting long, but as far as the one body is concernec, Jesus sent preachers, prophets, teachers and other gifts to the church. Why do that if the one body can be taught and guided by those that have died, as in the prayers qouted above? I already mentioned Heb 7:23, that one cannot continue earthly duties once you have passed on.

You're still missing the point August. The purpose of saintly intercessory prayers (you know, the puritan kind) has no more and no less value than a paryer by felllow earthly christians. It has been elevated to a level not intended nor, unfortunetaly, discouraged.
August wrote:
It also certainly does not fall in the category of necromancy. Intercessory prayers are community prayers and not designed to conjure up information from the dead.

17. I will refer you to the prayers above. E.g. "...to instruct me in every doubt,..." (Prayer to St Joseph)

I think it's pretty clear by now where I stand on this.
August wrote:
Incidently, the very fact that the bible forbids necromancy is proof in and of itself that communication between this realm and the after one is quite possible, otherwise what is the bible exactly forbidding?

18. The danger is that you do not know who you are communicating with. The act was forbidden because of the danger that it may conjure up demons and not the departed which you want.

But in some cases we do know.
August wrote:19. The practice is forbidden because it is seen as taking away from your relationship with God:
Isa 8:19 And when they say to you, "Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter," should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?

No, they should not inquire of the dead on behalf of the living. But where does it say not to inquire of the living on behalf of the living? The dead are dead in spirit. The living are very much alive in Christ.
August wrote:20. The dead cannot help anyone:
Ecc 9:4 But he who is joined with all the living has hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion.
Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished, and forever they have no more share in all that is done under the sun.

They cannot share in what is done in this dimension, "under the sun".

But that creates an inherent contradiction. On the one hand you say the dead cannot help anyone, and on the other you (correctly) say the dead should not be consulted. If the dead can be consulted (necromancy) then how can they not help anyone (though with evil intentions)? And if the dead (in spirit) can affect the physical world (again, via necromancy), how much more can the living (in Christ) help us with their community prayers?
August wrote:
In any case, the difference between necromancy and intercessory prayers is the difference between night and day. I hope this is clear.

21. I find it to be unclear in light of the types of prayers offered under the guise of intercession.

I hope I've managed to lift just a tiny layer of this lingering fog.
August wrote:
I will attempt to tackle August's question as to how our heavenly saints can hear our prayers and does that imply that they are omniscient? This in and of itself has 2 parts that need to ne answered . a) Can they hear our prayers? The most scriptural 'proof' of this I've seen is Revelation 5:8 where John sees the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God in the form of incense (this quote, by the way, is why Catholics use incense during mass).

22. Rev 5:8 says:
Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

I think it is a stretch to add "in heaven here". The cross-reference is to Psalm 141:2:
Psa 141:2 Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!

David, at the time of praying that, was pretty much still alive, as are all saints who offer prayers of intercessory nature. Saints are all believers :
2Th 1:10 when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed.

There is nothing within the context of Rev 5:8 to say that it was prayers of the dead saints. It seems to be inclusive of all believers on heaven and earth.

Where are the 24 elders John is speaking of? They're not here on earth. And if they're offering prayers of the saints up to God, I would presume they are in heaven (they're certainly not in hell and I don't think you're now arguing for purgatory, are you? :wink:). But in any case, that's why I added the disclaimer to make of these so-called proofs as you wish as they are highly interpretive (and you know, without my deutero backup ... ).
August wrote:
I could already almost hear the voices of decent, saying that Revelation is highly symbolic and such and that's invariably going to lead the discussion into what can and cannot be taken literally in scripture, as well as arguments of objectivity and subjectivity. That is why I offer these so-called proofs at face value. Make of them as you wish.

23. I don't think this is a question of symbolism or allegory, but what the Biblical definition of "saints" is. I think we can both agree that prayers are not incense, but are as the smoke of incense, rising up to be heard by God.

Yes, of course. You don't think Catholics believe the incense we burn during mass actually absorbs our prayers on the way up? (although it wouldn't surprise me in the least that a few may actually believe it).
August wrote:
The second part of the question, b) Must the saints be omniscient to hear millions of prayers? At first glance one would think so but the reality is that it is not necessary. After all, angels are at times aware of what goes on on earth and can intercede; yet, angels are not omniscient. The bible even directs us to ask those in heaven to pray with us in Psalm 103:20-21 and in Psalm 148:1-2.

24. I think we must tread carefully here, since Jesus can also be seen as an angel in some OT contexts. Anyhow, people are not angels. Angels appear in the Bible in response to being sent by God for a specific purpose, and each of them are shown to have a particular function. Yes they can intercede, but they do so in response to God, not man. (Ps 103:20).

Agreed. The point I was trying to make is that heavenly beings (angels) can intercede in the physical world without being omniscient.
August wrote:25. In Ps 103: 20,21 David is imploring the angels to praise God. Since they already do it continually, he is tying his thoughts to theirs in that God is worthy of adoration and worship. It does not say that we should ask them to pray with us, rather that is stands as testimony to God's love (v4), mercy (v4) etc. If we read it like you do, then we should, in verse 22, pray with His actions, which is kind of difficult. It is a testimony, which we agree with, and offer up as praise to God.

26. Ps 148 is pretty much the same thing. It is a testimony to God's greatness, not a prayer with angels, the sun, moon or heavens and waters, or beasts, trees, livestock or creeping things. Or are you saying we should also pray with the cows and cockroaches? These are things in which God is praised, not things that actually, physically praise Him. The fatc that angels praise Him all the time is to show that He is worthy of praise, just like His creation shows.

Yes, God is praised by his creation but some of his creation is able to actually affect praise. Animals and inanimate objects cannot. Humans and angels can.
August wrote:
Besides which, to presume that saints need to be omniscient

27. John, this worries me a bit. Are you equating God's will and the power of the dead? I have already shown in 20. above that the dead cannot have any share in what happens on earth. I agree that these are different dimensions, but I do not agree that you can equate Gods ability to straddle these dimensions with that of the bodily dead.

No, I am not equating God's will with anything. To the contrary, I'm offering an explanation as to the claim of omniscince of the saints to be able to hear our prayers. All I'm saying is that saints in heaven need not be omniscient to respond to our requests. Think of it this way, when you listen to a music CD (on average 15 songs) it takes you around 45 minutes to an hour. How long did it take to make this CD? Weeks, maybe months or even years. Why is such a phenomenon so strange for the way heavenly bodies can operate?
August wrote:28. There is no evidence that those in heaven have any idea what is going on here on earth. The evidence for that is when Saul summons Samuel from the dead (1Sam 28:7-19). Samuel had no idea why he was being called on by Saul. Yet, while alive, he was Saul's closest advisor.

But Samuel wasn't in heaven, was he? Christ hadn't resurrected yet and heaven was empty (save for God and the angels of course).
August wrote:

John, I don't doubt your motives for a second.

Nor I yours.

August wrote:However, as I looked through the RC prayers, there are some that are truly magnificent in their praise of God, and there are some that scare me.

Agreed.
August wrote:I cannot find, nor have you presented, any direct evidence from the Scriptures that shows any practice similar to the prayers to the dead. The evidence you presented needs some plumbing to fit with the practice, as I hopefully demonstrated. I have shown in several places that the bodily dead have passed on, and do not have anything more to do with those on earth. They are not aware of what goes on here, as shown by Samuel.

And, once again, my goal is not to convince but to shed light, albeit ever so faint. My sincere hope is that I've managed to do so.
August wrote:I ask that everyone who reads this know that I respect you greatly, and that I wish for everyone to consider the issue prayerfully in the light of Scripture.

You already know how I feel towards you and others on this site. There's no need to repeat it.

In Christ,

John.

August
Old School

Post by August »

I am going to let the matter rest here from my side. I have made my case, as have you. I thank you for a respectful and edifying exchange. It is up to the reader to decide which position he wishes to take. And as you rightly say, there are many other influences which may affect that.

God bless.

FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:Ah but you see, your 'flawed' fellow christians that are in heaven are not so flawed after all as nothing impure can enter heaven (Rev. 21:25
That is my point. If we can ask those perfect christians in heaven to pray for us, why ask anybody down here besides the fact that we are told to do so?

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:
Byblos wrote:Ah but you see, your 'flawed' fellow christians that are in heaven are not so flawed after all as nothing impure can enter heaven (Rev. 21:25

That is my point. If we can ask those perfect christians in heaven to pray for us, why ask anybody down here besides the fact that we are told to do so?

Because we're a community of believers and a single body in Christ, flawed or otherwise. As to why we aren't told to ask our perfect believers in heaven to pray for us in scripture (although I think we are but I promised not to use those), it could be because heaven was empty before Christ and the gospel writers were the first saints to enter heaven after Christ (ergo they didn't have the opportunity to explore the idea in detail as there was no frame of reference so to speak). This is where not just the deuterocanonical books but also oral tradition come into the picture (and partly why the RCC does not hold to Sola Scriptura as some things we believe were revealed after the gospels were written).