Death Penalty

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.

Do you support the death penalty?

Yes
8
33%
No
12
50%
Unsure
4
17%
 
Total votes: 24

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#106

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:54 am

Deborah wrote:The bible also says that if you hate your brother then you are guilty of murder. Our instructions are to love not hate!
The meaning is clear. You do not take someone's life into your own hands. Only by the grace of god can you put someone to death.

Killing and murdering is akin to stealing a life.
Putting someone to death is following God's commandment.

Of course, this is according to the Bible, I do not prescribe to this beleif.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#107

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:04 am

Murder and killing aren't the same...eventually we'll all get this... :lol:
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
Deborah
Senior Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Christian: No
Location: Australia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#108

Post by Deborah » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:48 pm

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Murder and killing aren't the same...eventually we'll all get this... :lol:
Death penalty is Murder.
There is only one Judge who can make such a Judgement with all clarity.
Bible says to kill someone who is rightious is wrong!
If we repent, are we not rightious?
If one rightious person is killed, that is someone who has repented to God, then we are wrong and we condem ourselves.
We do not have the wisdom to see whom the real repenters are, but god does. It has been proven to me time and time again the only justice comes from God. Because he will not be bribed, he is not corrupt, and only he has ALL the facts.

Killing is directly against the two most important commandments, love your neighbor (humanity) and love God.
Mark 12:30-31 tells us that there is no commandments greater than these. The letters of 1 John are also based around these commandments.

It is said that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”

After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9922
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 630 times
Been liked: 648 times

#109

Post by Kurieuo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:22 pm

Deborah wrote:The bible also says that if you hate your brother then you are guilty of murder. Our instructions are to love not hate!
You can love the person, but still realise the consequences of their actions must remain. Consider God who is said to be both all-loving and all-righteous. How can God be all-loving while being all-righteous? If someone does something wrong, God's righteousness demands justice be done and that person's sin be paid for. At the same time, does God's all-lovingness entail that he forgive that person and let them off? There seems to be a clash. I'm inclined to believe that God loves as much as is logically possible without going against His righteous nature. So applying this to the issue at hand... it is possible to love a person, but still realise a fair payment needs to be made for ones sins.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#110

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:29 pm

Deborah wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Murder and killing aren't the same...eventually we'll all get this... :lol:
Death penalty is Murder.
There is only one Judge who can make such a Judgement with all clarity.
Bible says to kill someone who is rightious is wrong!
If we repent, are we not rightious?
If one rightious person is killed, that is someone who has repented to God, then we are wrong and we condem ourselves.
We do not have the wisdom to see whom the real repenters are, but god does. It has been proven to me time and time again the only justice comes from God. Because he will not be bribed, he is not corrupt, and only he has ALL the facts.

Killing is directly against the two most important commandments, love your neighbor (humanity) and love God.
Mark 12:30-31 tells us that there is no commandments greater than these. The letters of 1 John are also based around these commandments.

It is said that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”

After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
I agree who are we to judge. Let those who are wrong damn themselves.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#111

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:42 pm

They are wrong for murdering another....the punishment must fit the crime, or justice is not served
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
Deborah
Senior Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Christian: No
Location: Australia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#112

Post by Deborah » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:09 am

Unfortunately Humanities justice is often not just.
There is no justice with Corruption, and humanity is full of corruption.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”

User avatar
Forge
Valued Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 7:39 pm
Christian: No
Location: Watching you
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#113

Post by Forge » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:54 am

I don't think execution is a morally good thing, but I also don't think it's murder.

anti_fundie_2
Newbie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:14 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#114

Post by anti_fundie_2 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:26 am

before i get banned i will say this..

as much as it pains me i agree with most of the comments in this thread.

i think the death penalty is often deserved but should never be enacted, too many opportunities for mistakes to be made. The world is grey and such black and white solutions to problems should not be entertained...

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#115

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:44 am

But you are saying that murder is black in a world of grey now?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#116

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:00 am

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:But you are saying that murder is black in a world of grey now?
No, he's saying we should entertain blacks and whites, but it ok to murder greys.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

beckyandretti
Established Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:04 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#117

Post by beckyandretti » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:06 am

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
besides, being kept alive is often a much greater punishment than death.
And, a life sentence is cheaper on the government when compared to a death penalty. When you're doling out an absolute punishment, you have to be absolutely sure, so these criminals go through the courts so many times, it just costs so much more :wink: something even I, the great oz, didn't know till recently.
Actually Kmart, every convict gets the same appeals process, the death penalty just has the automatic appeal started. And people on death row are often on there for 10 years or more before their conviction is either commuted to life or they finally get the death penalty. It costs the tax payers a lot more to keep someone in prison for the rest of their lives. So with that being said... they also have a lot of years to ask for forgivness and be saved. I would have to say that if there were a child molester on death row who molested and killed children, let him suffer the death penalty. There are more offenders that deserve it as well... but the child molester is the worst one I believe, because they prey on the completely innocent (who is going to tell me that a 5 yr old might not be innocent?)

beckyandretti
Established Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:04 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#118

Post by beckyandretti » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:33 am

arretium wrote:
ochotseat wrote:

Most taxpayers don't like higher taxes.
Wrong. Americans favor higher taxes to eliminate the federal deficit. Americans favor increasing taxes to prevent cuts to Social Security.
Actually arretium you are wrong, most americans do NOT want higher taxes, just ask some of them and BTW if you put the question as "are you in favor of higher taxes so that we don't cut Soc Sec?" of course you will get skewed results thats a biased question that no researcher worth his salt would ever pose.

The fact that there have been convicted criminals that have been on death row and escaped to murder over and over (the seven from texas that escaped at the same time and went on to murder at least 4 people) shows that some of the logic "lock them up and they wont harm anyone ever again" is flawed. The kids that murder should face adult punishments, look at Kip Kinkle (oregon) He killed not only his parents, but other kids in his school as well, he knew right from wrong broke about a dozen laws even before he got to the school, but you would say he shouldn't get the death penalty? Your logic is skewed. This person is a juvenile based on the fact that he was 15 when he committed these acts... he should have been and was tried as an adult.

beckyandretti
Established Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:04 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#119

Post by beckyandretti » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:52 am

anti_fundie_2 wrote:before i get banned i will say this..

as much as it pains me i agree with most of the comments in this thread.

i think the death penalty is often deserved but should never be enacted, too many opportunities for mistakes to be made. The world is grey and such black and white solutions to problems should not be entertained...
You wont get banned for that (at least I wouldnt think so the mods are quite nice now that Katie talked to them near that tree)
Welcome to the boards

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#120

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:59 am

anti_fundie_2 wrote:before i get banned i will say this..

as much as it pains me i agree with most of the comments in this thread.

i think the death penalty is often deserved but should never be enacted, too many opportunities for mistakes to be made. The world is grey and such black and white solutions to problems should not be entertained...
Banning in
5
4
3
2
1
cheesecake!
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

Post Reply