Immigration Pressures: Helping People at Home!

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Immigration Pressures: Helping People at Home!

Post by Philip »

This article by writer Cal Thomas offers some good ideas on lessening illegal immigration pressures by helping people in their home countries: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/cal-tho ... ion-policy

The idea that we can only help people by letting them in and giving them benefits is simply not well thought out!
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: Immigration Pressures: Helping People at Home!

Post by Fliegender »

The article you linked to suggests that Hungary donates to Christian organizations. It almost sounds too good to be true...
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

FG: The article you linked to suggests that Hungary donates to Christian organizations. It almost sounds too good to be true...
All I know is that Cal Thomas is a very respected conservative, Christian, and long-time analyst of government, society and politics - I'm quite sure he was careful in stating that to be fact in his national column - carried by newspapers across the U.S.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

I’m not suggesting the story is untrue or exaggerated. I know that Hungary, Slovakia and Poland limit the number of migrants they accept. I didn’t know that Hungary donated to Christian NGOs. Such a practice would circumvent the crooks who often intercept international aid in receiving countries.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Fliegender wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm I’m not suggesting the story is untrue or exaggerated. I know that Hungary, Slovakia and Poland limit the number of migrants they accept. I didn’t know that Hungary donated to Christian NGOs. Such a practice would circumvent the crooks who often intercept international aid in receiving countries.
That's the first thing that I thought of while reading the article. Giving to the needy in these countries, while it is under the best intentions, often isn't good in practice. The shipments come in for the poor, but are often stolen by warlords, or whoever, and the poor don't get anything.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

: Giving to the needy in these countries, while it is under the best intentions, often isn't good in practice. The shipments come in for the poor, but are often stolen by warlords, or whoever, and the poor don't get anything.
Yep - a huge issue. And so there are obstacles and challenges to this approach - and hopefully, solutions. But the bigger point is, there ARE ways to help oppressed, desperate people wherever they might live, as opposed to those who would insist we just roll out the red carpet to whomever wants to flee their homes - as such thinking appears to have not thought out (or care) about the impact to our country's own poor, finances, local safety nets, all of that. And that's not even addressing security concerns. There are ways to certify and monitor how aid monies are distributed and used - and that monitor sure isn't the UN!