What should being Pro-Life also include?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

What should being Pro-Life also include?

Post by Philip »

A lot of people who are pro-life need to go deeper in their thinking, actions and responsibility than just being anti-abortion, to really see what else our pro-life sentiments might need to include - and this article addresses that: https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... trust.html
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What should being Pro-Life also include?

Post by PaulSacramento »

To me, Pro-Life is simple: Life takes precedence.
What does that mean?
It means the taking of a life MUST be justified, it simply can not be done by "choice" or anything else.
It is also why I am against capital punishment ( one of a few reasons).

In direct terms:
The taking of a life is justified when saving another life, when putting an end to suffering, when no other option is possible and when it is a necessity.

I am NOT Pro-Choice because choice can not be a factor in whether a life should be taken.
The mere thought that CHOICE, the simple act of choosing to kill, is acceptable enough to justify killing, makes NO SENSE to me.

A pregnancy can be terminated of the life of the mother is in danger.
It can be terminated if the mental health of the person is in danger ( not all women can carry the child of their rapist).
Simply choosing to kill is, quite simply, Wrong.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:31 am To me, Pro-Life is simple: Life takes precedence.
What does that mean?
It means the taking of a life MUST be justified, it simply can not be done by "choice" or anything else.

In direct terms:
The taking of a life is justified when saving another life, when putting an end to suffering, when no other option is possible and when it is a necessity.

I am NOT Pro-Choice because choice can not be a factor in whether a life should be taken.
The mere thought that CHOICE, the simple act of choosing to kill, is acceptable enough to justify killing, makes NO SENSE to me.

It can be terminated if the mental health of the person is in danger ( not all women can carry the child of their rapist).
Woman gets raped, punish the baby by killing him/her. Got it!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Absolutely NOT a Biblical stance. Women who get pregnant from rape are of the tiniest percentage of unwanted pregnancies - and there is ALWAYS an adoption option. And whom might I ask will determine whether their mental health is at risk - the person with a self motivation that likely has not one thing to do with their mental health? Abortion doctors willing to signt off on it? Inserting such a caveat into abortion law would simply keep the floodgates open for women using a supposed mental health threat to justify killing their unborn child. When we make abortion law to favor mostly rare cases - especially when that legalese opens the door to millions of totally unnecessary abortions - well, that is a horrible thing!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 am
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:31 am To me, Pro-Life is simple: Life takes precedence.
What does that mean?

In direct terms:

As someone that has seen, FIRST HAND, the psychological and emotional damage of rape, LONG TERM ( I know of one that commited suicide for example), I can say this:
If a woman can NOT handle the emotional and psychological damage of being raped AND becoming pregnant from that rape that, yes, abortion should be an option.
I don't AGREE with it, BUT I do understand and see it as a justification.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 am
Absolutely NOT a Biblical stance. Women who get pregnant from rape are of the tiniest percentage of unwanted pregnancies - and there is ALWAYS an adoption option. And whom might I ask will determine whether their mental health is at risk - the person with a self motivation that likely has not one thing to do with their mental health? Abortion doctors willing to signt off on it? Inserting such a caveat into abortion law would simply keep the floodgates open for women using a supposed mental health threat to justify killing their unborn child. When we make abortion law to favor mostly rare cases - especially when that legalese opens the door to millions of totally unnecessary abortions - well, that is a horrible thing!
No, it isn't a biblical stance.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:42 am
RickD wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 am
What does that mean?

In direct terms:

As someone that has seen, FIRST HAND, the psychological and emotional damage of rape, LONG TERM ( I know of one that commited suicide for example), I can say this:
If a woman can NOT handle the emotional and psychological damage of being raped AND becoming pregnant from that rape that, yes, abortion should be an option.
I don't AGREE with it, BUT I do understand and see it as a justification.
It's simple. Either the fetus is a human being, or it isn't. If it is, it shouldn't be killed.

Many women or young girls can't handle the "psychological or emotional damage", of having an unwanted child. Do we punish the child by killing him/her in that instance too?

Look, I'm not discounting the feelings of someone who was raped. But again, why should the child be punished for the sin of the father?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

Philip wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 am A lot of people who are pro-life need to go deeper in their thinking, actions and responsibility than just being anti-abortion, to really see what else our pro-life sentiments might need to include - and this article addresses that: https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... trust.html
Exactly - it's not as if everything's necessarily going to be fine once an unplanned baby is saved from abortion. I have quite a problem with the hardline fiscal conservatives; I've only lived in countries with mainly government-funded healthcare and it's good. I can't see any Australian government ever changing it much, unless some far-right party gets in someday. It's the biggest use of tax dollars, but money well-spent in my opinion.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Guys, you don't have to agree with my position.
You asked, I stated.
It's simple. Either the fetus is a human being, or it isn't. If it is, it shouldn't be killed.
IF it was "that simple", we wouldn't be discussing it.

And I wouldn't use the term "fetus" since then you have to address WHEN it becomes a "fetus".