Abortion Debate

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Abortion Debate

Post by Kurieuo »

Can anyone convince a man that he's alive if he chooses to believe he's not?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Nils: Nessa, when I look at this video I find no good arguments. She said that the young fetuses are innocent human beings. That is correct...
OK, so you accept the obvious - young fetuses ARE human beings.
Nils: But why is it good to assign human rights to them, she didn’t say.
So, there is a category of human beings that shouldn't have human rights? WHO says???!!! YOU, some government, people with power and incentives to add new categories of humans to deny their right to live? Because that is the issue, correct? Human rights - we don't all have the same ones for various reasons. But there are basic ones that most people would agree any actual human should have.
Nils: Does she really think that the lives of adult black persons and Jews on one hand and protohumans without consciousness, feelings and memories on the other hand have the same value?
First place, you've tried to prejudiced what you've already admitted to - that the fetus is a human - as there is no category of "protohumans" - that's an arbitrary term used by people with an agenda! And you've arbitrarily biased the question per your insinuation that some humans are more valuable than others due to their length of life lived, memories, awareness, etc. Right away we can see that adult humans with senility, alzheimers or severe mental illness would easily not make the cut for your definition of full humanity. Again, with your sense of the appropriateness that arbitrary decision makers should be able to rule over who lives and who dies - it's a slippery slope into however those in power would like to define human life, with an ongoing potential for newly added categories of what type of humanity doesn't make the cut.
Nils: What is the reason for giving a young fetus the full right to live? The only reason I heard so far is: We should do that, period.
If provided necessary financial or other assistance (for women who truly cannot care for a child financially), or adoption options - why would it EVER be necessary to abort, unless totally medically (life threateningly)? And what I'm hearing from you is, abortion should be legal only because many people desire it.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

But most important, she didn’t answer my question. What is the reason for giving a young fetus the full right to live? The only reason I heard so far is: We should do that, period.
Why shouldn't I kill whomever I choose to?
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

These Christians are frikken insane. Bloody crazy.
I had to try really hard to keep my cool and not swear at the madness of these so-called "Christians".

Life-giving?!!!! Are you insane woman, can you not see the utter abomination that you are perpetrating. God will not be pleased.

Rev. Amelia Fulbright, a campus minister of the “ecumenical” “Christian” Labyrinth Progressive Student Ministry at the University of Texas, said the “blessing” was organized to encourage the “patients” as well as the abortion workers:

“The first and foremost goal was to say that we support you and the work that you’re doing, especially in a state where you’re constantly having to meet new regulations or deal with critics and protesters. As people of faith, it’s not that we think we’re bringing God to this place; we believe God is already present in that space. But it’s to ask for prayers of safety, healing and peace, to infuse the space with an energy that is life-giving for women, a lot of whom are in an anxious time.”
Rest of article
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:03 am These Christians are frikken insane. Bloody crazy.
I had to try really hard to keep my cool and not swear at the madness of these so-called "Christians".

Life-giving?!!!! Are you insane woman, can you not see the utter abomination that you are perpetrating. God will not be pleased.

Rev. Amelia Fulbright, a campus minister of the “ecumenical” “Christian” Labyrinth Progressive Student Ministry at the University of Texas, said the “blessing” was organized to encourage the “patients” as well as the abortion workers:

“The first and foremost goal was to say that we support you and the work that you’re doing, especially in a state where you’re constantly having to meet new regulations or deal with critics and protesters. As people of faith, it’s not that we think we’re bringing God to this place; we believe God is already present in that space. But it’s to ask for prayers of safety, healing and peace, to infuse the space with an energy that is life-giving for women, a lot of whom are in an anxious time.”
Rest of article
That article is so backwards, it almost seems like satire.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:15 pm
Stu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:03 am These Christians are frikken insane. Bloody crazy.

Rest of article
That article is so backwards, it almost seems like satire.
Well if you don't believe the article how about researching it, here is Amelia Fulbright's Twitter https://twitter.com/RevFulbright
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu,

I'm not saying that I don't believe it. I'm saying that it seems like satire, because what's being said is so opposite of what we'd expect from Christians.

In other words, I'm agreeing with you. It's awful!
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 am Stu,

I'm not saying that I don't believe it. I'm saying that it seems like satire, because what's being said is so opposite of what we'd expect from Christians.

Ah sorry, yeah couldn't believe what I was reading at first, check out that Twitter page, she doubles down. Unbelievable.

With many topics you can be somewhat calm but this is one issue that I am passionate about. It's about actual flesh, blood, bone and spirit human beings that are being slaughtered. Terrible.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:14 am
RickD wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 am Stu,

Ah sorry, yeah couldn't believe what I was reading at first, check out that Twitter page, she doubles down. Unbelievable.

With many topics you can be somewhat calm but this is one issue that I am passionate about. It's about actual flesh, blood, bone and spirit human beings that are being slaughtered. Terrible.
Here's one of here tweets, that shows just how deluded she is:
It ain’t pretty, but it’s true. And well documented. The Evangelical pro-life political movement is rooted in patriarchy and white supremacy, not Gospel.
I wonder if she realizes that Planned Parenthood's founder was a racist, and want to get rid of blacks.

She's a feminist kook.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

What it seem sis being said here, basically, is the right to choose trumps the right to live.
Someone's right to choose supersedes something's right to live.
So the question is, is there are right to live?
Does a baby have a right to live and if yes, why and if NO, why.
Now, there is a can of worms.

Add to that, if CHOICE is a right, why is it a right and if so, where does one draw the line? WHO draws the line?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Paul: What it seem sis being said here, basically, is the right to choose trumps the right to live.

Add to that, if CHOICE is a right, why is it a right and if so, where does one draw the line? WHO draws the line?
The other question - if TWO people are responsible for producing a baby - why does the location of where that baby develops matter, in terms of ownership and legal rights? Why don't they BOTH have legal rights to the baby?
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Philip wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 am
Paul: What it seem sis being said here, basically, is the right to choose trumps the right to live.

The other question - if TWO people are responsible for producing a baby - why does the location of where that baby develops matter, in terms of ownership and legal rights? Why don't they BOTH have legal rights to the baby?
Exactly right! This is a point that I like to make as well.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Considering that the father is responsible for the pregnancy in the eyes of the law, you would think he also has some say, right?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:12 am Considering that the father is responsible for the pregnancy in the eyes of the law, you would think he also has some say, right?
Don't be silly!

A man has no say in women's healthcare issues. It's her body. It's a white, male privilege, patriarchy that got us into this mess!

Women need access to safe abortions! Babies need to be killed, safely.

-Edward R Murrow