Message for US Methodist from African Methodists

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Message for US Methodist from African Methodists

Post by PaulSacramento »

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Message for US Methodist from African Methodists

Post by PaulSacramento »

This part:
It says, “All persons are individuals of sacred worth, created in the image of God,” that “All persons need the ministry of the Church,” and that “We affirm that God’s grace is available to all.”

It grounds our sexual ethics in Scripture when it says, the UM Church does “not condone the practice of homosexuality and considers [it] incompatible with Christian teaching.”

While “we commit ourselves to be in ministry for and with all persons,” we do not celebrate same-sex marriages or ordain for ministry people who self-avow as practicing homosexuals. These practices do not conform to the authentic teaching of the Holy Scriptures, our primary authority for faith and Christian living.

However, we extend grace to all people because we all know we are sinners in need of God’s redeeming. We know how critical and life changing God’s grace has been in our own lives.

We warmly welcome all people to our churches; we long to be in fellowship with them, to pray with them, to weep with them, and to experience the joy of transformation with them.

Friends, please hear me, we Africans are not afraid of our sisters and brothers who identify as lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgendered, questioning, or queer. We love them and we hope the best for them. But we know of no compelling arguments for forsaking our church’s understanding of Scripture and the teachings of the church universal.

And then please hear me when I say as graciously as I can: we Africans are not children in need of western enlightenment when it comes to the church’s sexual ethics. We do not need to hear a progressive U.S. bishop lecture us about our need to “grow up.”
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Well said. Too many western churches it seems are conforming to the standards set by western society. Too many are being led astray. It is sad to see. We must stand firm and let the Bible be our guide, not the latest trend or societal norm, or God forbid whatever Hollywood is dishing out.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Yes, how absurd and scary when those claiming to be Christians believe something like, "God and His Church just need to get with the times!" This tells me they either have no in-depth Scriptural understanding of what our unchanging God is like, or they don't really care about pleasing or obeying Him to begin with.