N.Y. adopts law allowing abortion up to nine months

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: N.Y. adopts law allowing abortion up to nine months

Post by PaulSacramento »

You missed my point. Paul said that subjectivity doesn't always get good results. I answered that objectivity doesn't get that either, see #114. And, of cource, there have been lot of Christians doing good things.
Nils
Objectivity gives you a concert foundation at least, something that subjectivity does NOT.

And, objectively, taking a life is WRONG, even when justified.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Nils: And how do I know how to interpret the Bible without asking a Christian, and which Christian should be trusted?
READ it! Because much of what you argue about, when read in context and across so much Scripture, clearly informs about key things about right and wrong. There is some debate over more obscure passages and things requiring deeper study. But as for the basics of Salvation, Who Jesus is, right and wrong - you don't need to be a Bible expert to understand such things. But you DO need to study and read about them. What the Church and denominations as a whole argue about is minuscule as opposed to what they actually agree upon!
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

Philip wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:06 pm
NIls: If there is no godly law about killing young fetuses it isn’t unlawful to take there lives. So your question seems meaningless.
FALSE! There ARE instructions which categorically cover all deliberate killing that isn't done in war or defensively, as well as punishment noted for taking the life of an unborn child - there is no need to distinguish between the development level of whatever unborn child because it doesn't do so. And that ALL life is God-given and sacred re-enforces this. So you are ignorant as to what the Bible teaches on this. It takes study and not just Googling specific terms in a search box! That you don't believe what the Bible teaches is unsurprising. As ultimately, you only answer to one person: Nils. Christians have a higher Authority beyond themselves that have submitted to. And unless you submit to God, it is highly unlikely you would ever agree with the Christian view of the issue.
That's the thing - without submitting to God Nils has no reason to be against abortion of a child who's simply unwanted.

One defense of abortion I've heard lately is 'it's legal (in national law), so it must be OK.' Great circular reasoning :roll:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

If we believe that CHOICE is the deciding factor as to whether a living being stays alive or is killed, regardless of the morals of said choice, then we have a very big issue that will, eventually, blow up in our faces.
I mean, if you don't CARE about the future then, whatever right?
But if you do then you must ask yourself this question:
What could possibly go wrong with this viewpoint?
What is the worse possible situation that can occur ( because it probably will)?

I mean, when we make decisions that effect society, that effect lives, we MUST ask these questions, right?
Nils
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Nils »

Philip wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 am
Nils: And how do I know how to interpret the Bible without asking a Christian, and which Christian should be trusted?
READ it! Because much of what you argue about, when read in context and across so much Scripture, clearly informs about key things about right and wrong. There is some debate over more obscure passages and things requiring deeper study. But as for the basics of Salvation, Who Jesus is, right and wrong - you don't need to be a Bible expert to understand such things. But you DO need to study and read about them. What the Church and denominations as a whole argue about is minuscule as opposed to what they actually agree upon!
But why do you think that I will come to the interpretation that you stick to instead of some other interpretation that other Christians prefer.
Nils
Nils
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Nils »

Nicki wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:16 pm
Philip wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:06 pm
NIls: If there is no godly law about killing young fetuses it isn’t unlawful to take there lives. So your question seems meaningless.
FALSE! There ARE instructions which categorically cover all deliberate killing that isn't done in war or defensively, as well as punishment noted for taking the life of an unborn child - there is no need to distinguish between the development level of whatever unborn child because it doesn't do so. And that ALL life is God-given and sacred re-enforces this. So you are ignorant as to what the Bible teaches on this. It takes study and not just Googling specific terms in a search box! That you don't believe what the Bible teaches is unsurprising. As ultimately, you only answer to one person: Nils. Christians have a higher Authority beyond themselves that have submitted to. And unless you submit to God, it is highly unlikely you would ever agree with the Christian view of the issue.
That's the thing - without submitting to God Nils has no reason to be against abortion of a child who's simply unwanted.
You are mainly correct but there are secular arguments against abortion even if I don't think they are valid if we talk about young fetuses without feelings and consciousness.
One defense of abortion I've heard lately is 'it's legal (in national law), so it must be OK.' Great circular reasoning :roll:
If you aren't interested in moral philosophy and just want some guidance how to act, it may be okey.
Nils