Pope Calls Gay Marriage Part of 'Ideology of Evil'

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Pope Calls Gay Marriage Part of 'Ideology of Evil'

Post by August »

Something from the Pope on gay marriage, what do you folks think?

ROME (Reuters) - Homosexual marriages are part of "a new ideology of evil" that is insidiously threatening society, Pope John Paul says in a new book published Tuesday.

In "Memory and Identity," the Pope also calls abortion a "legal extermination" comparable to attempts to wipe out Jews and other groups in the 20th century.

He also reveals that he is convinced the Turkish gunman who shot him in 1981 did not act alone and suggests that the former Communist Bloc may have been behind the plot to kill him.

The 84-year-old Pontiff's book, a highly philosophical and intricate work on the nature of good and evil, is based on conversations with philosopher friends in 1993 and later with some of his aides.

In one section about the role of lawmakers, the Pope takes another swipe at gay marriages when he refers to "pressures" on the European Parliament to allow them.

"It is legitimate and necessary to ask oneself if this is not perhaps part of a new ideology of evil, perhaps more insidious and hidden, which attempts to pit human rights against the family and against man," he writes.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
hermitville101
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by hermitville101 »

I don't have research to back the following statement I heard once, but it sounds about right.
The acceptance of homosexuals into society has preceded the fall of most every Empire in history.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

hermitville101 wrote:I don't have research to back the following statement I heard once, but it sounds about right.
The acceptance of homosexuals into society has preceded the fall of most every Empire in history.
I keep hearing that too... A valid and credible resource would be nice to have. Let me know if you ever find one.

With regards to gay marriage, I have mixed feelings. On one hand I agree that it is an attack on family and possibly also on religious freedoms. Also I don't necessarily agree that an entire society should conform in order to be more accomodating to a deviant portion of the population.

On the other hand, with Christian values being crowded out of an ever-more-secular national leadership in many countries, I'm not exactly sure how we can stop the downward slide. Once we all agree that church and state must be distinct and seperate, then I don't see any way to stop things like this from hapenning.

Actually there is one way: To change the hearts and minds of the people so that the entire population shares the same Christian values. In other words, change utimately comes from the roots of the population as a whole - and if we're seeing this change from the top, it's most likely because the general values of the people are being reflected. As Christians we have been unable to hold onto the hearts of our fellow citizens, and this is sad not only in and of itself, but also in the innevitable effects that we now begin to witness.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I don't have research to back the following statement I heard once, but it sounds about right.
Wow I've heard the same thing. I think immorality has a part in the fall of empires. Rome fell from the inside out, for example.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Darwin_Rocks
Recognized Member

Post by Darwin_Rocks »

don't have research to back the following statement I heard once, but it sounds about right.
No, Imperialism did that. Not homosexuality.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Imperialism works just fine if the leader is capable. Most empires fall because they get a series of weak rulers in succession. Either that or an enemy empire rises above theirs.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Immorality, such as homosexuality, does have a hand in the falling of an empire. Blame it on whatever you want, though, you're free to do that.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
ochotseat

Re: Pope Calls Gay Marriage Part of 'Ideology of Evil'

Post by ochotseat »

August wrote:Something from the Pope on gay marriage, what do you folks think?

ROME (Reuters) - Homosexual marriages are part of "a new ideology of evil" that is insidiously threatening society, Pope John Paul says in a new book published Tuesday.

In "Memory and Identity," the Pope also calls abortion a "legal extermination" comparable to attempts to wipe out Jews and other groups in the 20th century.

He also reveals that he is convinced the Turkish gunman who shot him in 1981 did not act alone and suggests that the former Communist Bloc may have been behind the plot to kill him.

The 84-year-old Pontiff's book, a highly philosophical and intricate work on the nature of good and evil, is based on conversations with philosopher friends in 1993 and later with some of his aides.

In one section about the role of lawmakers, the Pope takes another swipe at gay marriages when he refers to "pressures" on the European Parliament to allow them.

"It is legitimate and necessary to ask oneself if this is not perhaps part of a new ideology of evil, perhaps more insidious and hidden, which attempts to pit human rights against the family and against man," he writes.
He was right, and most people would agree with him. God bless the late Pope John Paul II.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Look, I'm not into getting into the gay debate. But the gay marriage issue is one that I have trouble swallowing. Why is this an issue at all?

What does some man's marriage to another man have to do with my marriage to my wife? How on earth does that reduce the sanctity of my marriage? I fail to follow any reasoning here that in any way justifies this position. As far as I can tell, the fact that two men married each other has nothing to do with my marriage to my wife. It's not going to lead to us getting a divorce or one of us committing an adultery. It just seems like such a smoke and mirror argument.
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

arretium wrote:Look, I'm not into getting into the gay debate. But the gay marriage issue is one that I have trouble swallowing. Why is this an issue at all?

What does some man's marriage to another man have to do with my marriage to my wife? How on earth does that reduce the sanctity of my marriage? I fail to follow any reasoning here that in any way justifies this position. As far as I can tell, the fact that two men married each other has nothing to do with my marriage to my wife. It's not going to lead to us getting a divorce or one of us committing an adultery. It just seems like such a smoke and mirror argument.
The same reason burning a cross, or making a portrait of Holy Mary out of feces is offensive and vile.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dan wrote:The same reason burning a cross, or making a portrait of Holy Mary out of feces is offensive and vile.
The examples you cite are protected by the first amendment. But the fact remains, What does that [above] got to do with my marriage to my wife? I don't see how that reduces or lowers my marriage in any form. I don't have to look at the burning cross nor smell the Holy Mary feces portrait nor do I have to befriend gay married couples or take them into my home.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Take a read through the pages at http://www.family.org/cforum/fosi/marriage/ssuap/

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

arretium wrote:Look, I'm not into getting into the gay debate. But the gay marriage issue is one that I have trouble swallowing. Why is this an issue at all?

Because it's sending the wrong message to children, homosexuality is not normal, marriage has always been between 2 of the opposite sex, countries with people shacking up or legalized gay marriage are suffering the breakup of traditional functional families...that should be enough to explain why most people are offended by gay marriage.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Yeah and I was just reading an article on NARTH (I think that's the initials) that said telling young children who haven't gone through gender identification that homosexuality is an alternative to heterosexuality and stuff of that nature can mess with their development.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Yeah and I was just reading an article on NARTH (I think that's the initials) that said telling young children who haven't gone through gender identification that homosexuality is an alternative to heterosexuality and stuff of that nature can mess with their development.
Ever heard of Nambla? It's a group of gay men who want it legal to have sexual relationships with boys. Gays and lesbians have sexual practices that most of us would find repugnant.