Can you get value from facts

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Can you get value from facts

Post by Nessa »

This is an idea I heard from Harris in a debate...

But Peterson comes back with the fact that if we take apart something we will not find the value.... That the value of Elvis's guitar is socially constructed not fact as such.

To me, this idea is dangerous and potentially evil...isn't this where you get Hitler's attitude from.... Enough people devaluing humans and you can get rid of them...

What do you think?

Can you get values from facts alone? Can science give values?
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Re: Can you get value from facts

Post by LittleHamster »

Idea's (people's thought's) have value. They are bought and sold all the time using money. Just look at patents and patent laws. Crypto-currencies don't actually physically exist yet people give them value. People are extremely valuable, they can cook, clean, iron, vacuum, do tasks. So we tend to place an artificial value on things. But do we ???

One crazy view I came across a while back is that everything is a form of energy and the value of anything depends on how much energy it has . Human beings are a form of energy. Money is just another form of energy. Any object that has monetary value is a form of energy. Any object that can produce useful energy is monetarily valuable and thus a form of energy. Ideas and thoughts can be valuable and thus, a form of energy.

Some examples....

- If someone is young and fit and energetic, they can be very useful in the workforce and regarded as a valuable commodity.
- If people have children, it taxes their energy (more kids you have, more likely you are to get fatigued, depressed) and your value decreases because you have less energy.
- When people have sex, energy exchange occurs.
- When people fight, energy exchange occurs.
- When you love someone, it gives the person energy. (the most important one).
- If someone has money, they can use that to get things done (i.e. they pay someone else which uses their energy to get things done). So, the more money you have, the more energy you have.
- If you find objects on the ground, they also can have energy (plants, rocks, gem's). In fact, any object worth money is an amount of energy. Or just burning wood for heating...energy ! Diamonds ....worth money....more energy !
- If someone has good ideas, its takes energy to acquire those ideas, protect them, make some use of them, eventually those idea's will have some sort of monetary value...more energy. Someone may steal your ideas. You just lost your potential monetary gain and lost your extra energy !
- If someone is in a position of power, they can use that to acquire energy (in the form of wealth, control over other people's energy).

Win the Lottery ! You can become a Super Energy !..............basket case :lol:
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

So if you are old and disabled and have less energy.. you are worth less...

Sounds good to me :shock:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Is that a potential pick up line....

Have sex with me and you will be worth more..
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Nessa wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:19 pm Is that a potential pick up line....

Women get a bit of a glow about them after sex. Men tend to look like corpses.

I reckon it's a rough deal.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

LittleHamster wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:34 am

Women get a bit of a glow about them after sex. Men tend to look like corpses.

I reckon it's a rough deal.
We also get to have more than one.... Or so I've heard..

:lol:
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

fact : some materials do not oxidize (or slowly)
they have higher value
(so, is this value from science?)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Nessa wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:37 pm This is an idea I heard from Harris in a debate...

But Peterson comes back with the fact that if we take apart something we will not find the value.... That the value of Elvis's guitar is socially constructed not fact as such.

To me, this idea is dangerous and potentially evil...isn't this where you get Hitler's attitude from.... Enough people devaluing humans and you can get rid of them...

What do you think?

Can you get values from facts alone? Can science give values?

It depends on the person whether or not we get values from facts.If a person wants to know the truth facts are of utmost value and it does not matter if the majority does not value the facts.The truth will always be there and the value of the facts.Without facts or the truth there is no value.But the teaching of evolution in society is to devalue people to convince us that we are animals and society has been indoctrinated to accept it.Many people have devalued themselves from the way God sees them because of the indoctrination of society.This is because the truth and facts are not valued.Science that does not value facts or truth is of no value.- such as evolution that tells us we are animals.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

We ARE animals, anatomically speaking. That is a plain fact by our biology; we are primates.
BUT, we are set apart by our spirit/soul matter primarily. We are made in the image of GOD. Secondary attributes include upright stance (though a few walk on all fours due to certain forms of autism or some other condition), extreme intelligence and creativity (overall), cultivator and caretaker of the earth (though not always), a thing for belief in religion/spirituality/higher power, and some more.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

now now, lets not entertain prostitution