Military service

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Military service

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Many ppl don't like it for some reason. Sounds like a good choice to me, though it does depend on the nation. The US is a good choice since we're the big brother of the world.
Any of y'all been in the service of are thinking of it? Cuz I've talked to recruiters, I'm thinking of the Navy (Army would be my next choice), and while it's rather tough in there it'd be good for me. My ASVAB score was a 79, which for these parts is pretty high (though Ik a guy who had a 90 but he has diabetes so he can't get in though he really wants to).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Military service

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm Many ppl don't like it for some reason. Sounds like a good choice to me, though it does depend on the nation. The US is a good choice since we're the big brother of the world.
Any of y'all been in the service of are thinking of it? Cuz I've talked to recruiters, I'm thinking of the Navy (Army would be my next choice), and while it's rather tough in there it'd be good for me. My ASVAB score was a 79, which for these parts is pretty high (though Ik a guy who had a 90 but he has diabetes so he can't get in though he really wants to).
I've never been in the service, I wasn't able to because of a leg injury and a metal plate and screws in my leg.

With that said, I think it can be a great opportunity for many people. You can learn a lot of important real-life skills in the military. Where I live, military and ex-military, get preferential treatment when it comes to jobs. There's a great deal of respect for military here. I have a nephew and two nieces that grew up more than half their lives living next door to me. My nephew is in the marines. One niece married a marine, and the other niece is engaged to a marine.
They're all very respectful young people, with great work ethics. That's one thing that I've found lacking with many people today, a work ethic.

The military definitely teaches a good work ethic, which helps anyone be successful at whatever they choose to do.

If I were you, I'd give it some serious consideration.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:03 pm
thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm Many ppl don't like it for some reason. Sounds like a good choice to me, though it does depend on the nation. The US is a good choice since we're the big brother of the world.
I've never been in the service, I wasn't able to because of a leg injury and a metal plate and screws in my leg.

With that said, I think it can be a great opportunity for many people. You can learn a lot of important real-life skills in the military. Where I live, military and ex-military, get preferential treatment when it comes to jobs. There's a great deal of respect for military here. I have a nephew and two nieces that grew up more than half their lives living next door to me. My nephew is in the marines. One niece married a marine, and the other niece is engaged to a marine.
They're all very respectful young people, with great work ethics. That's one thing that I've found lacking with many people today, a work ethic.

The military definitely teaches a good work ethic, which helps anyone be successful at whatever they choose to do.

If I were you, I'd give it some serious consideration.
Oh I definitely have, and even been working out more than usual-I now have some abs forming and my leg muscles are much stronger than they used to be.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

As a former peacekeeper I can say that the military CAN be a great thing.
Personally I think that everyone should go through military service for at least 9 months.
Basic training and all that.
It would eliminate a lot of stupidity in society.
You want TRUE equality? the military way is best.
Everyone is treated the same, like crap.
Or I should say, it USED to be that way.
Now they have special requirements for women and they accommodate different cultures and whatnot.
Silly.
Thunderbolt47
Newbie Member

Post by Thunderbolt47 »

I have served through military service in Russia, and got my nationality in that country because of that.

It was hard, and sadly the huge majority of people being conscripted there are lowlife idiots (everyone else finds a way out of serving) and this was the worst part.

If you are serving with normal people like my father did, it can be a good experience because it teaches discipline and hard work, but if you serve with inbred idiots, you will just learn how to hide from working parties, drink, and fight in the barracks. But at least I became a good shot with an anti-tank gun, it's useless in life, but it was quite fun!
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Thunderbolt47 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 am I have served through military service in Russia, and got my nationality in that country because of that.

It was hard, and sadly the huge majority of people being conscripted there are lowlife idiots (everyone else finds a way out of serving) and this was the worst part.

If you are serving with normal people like my father did, it can be a good experience because it teaches discipline and hard work, but if you serve with inbred idiots, you will just learn how to hide from working parties, drink, and fight in the barracks. But at least I became a good shot with an anti-tank gun, it's useless in life, but it was quite fun!
How was the winter like?
Thunderbolt47
Newbie Member

Post by Thunderbolt47 »

Harsh, of course, but that's not the worst thing I've ever experienced ; sleeping outside with a -32 Celsius temperature IS demanding, but if you have the right clothing and sleep in the right conditions (in a hole, with something to insulate you from the ground, with a tent half above you) it is possible. The little trick that we did when the officer was a good friend was to put these heat/cold pads (a little pouch of blue liquid that stays warm for a while when you heat it, and stays cold for a while when you freeze it) directly on the auxiliary engine of the gun or on hot parts of the towing vehicle's engine in the evening and put them in our uniform's inner pockets in the evening. Perfect!

The worst climate conditions I've experienced during my military service was summer in southern Siberia. +43 Celsius, and so many mosquitoes that you end up breathing some of them in every evening. I almost turned mad after the 3rd sleepless night spent smashing mosquitoes and scratching my body everywhere...
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Ok if all goes good I should meet with the Petty Officer tomorrow for enlistment. Then soon after comes the MEPS, which hopefully there's nothing wrong with me so I can pass.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Good luck, kid - hope you've though hard with a lot of prayer about this step!
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

I haven't enlisted yet but I did paperwork. They have to go and see some records such as a suspension and a few other things.
Anyhow, I want to be a Seabee aka the Construction Unit in the Navy.
Blessed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Blessed »

My opinions on this are highly offensive and I generally keep them to myself for fear of offending the small minded,

I did not enlist. They put the pen and paper in front of me with 3 uniformed soliders to sign - and I got up the courage and left. The only reason I considered it at the time was because I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO when I turned 18 and my Dad kept constantly after me and being mean to me and telling me to get out of the house and go go go. He also highly respected the Military because HE was in the military. So he parroted all the typical "patriot" stuff. "I served" "I was in the Army" "what have you ever done" Bla bla bla.

Had I gone I would've ended up killed, crippled, maimed or with PTSD on psych meds with no marketable skills, a cheating wife, child support payments for her new BF and misery. I would have crippled maimed and MURDERED innocent people to support an agenda that I personally believe is - generally speaking - unjust. Going into the military is a highly honorable, the most commendable, highest honor sacrifice - YES. But IMO used dishonorably. All of the millions of people the USA has killed. I cannot begin to fathom. And this is NOT Christian NOT on the side of good.

I am not interested in killing people that have done myself or this country no harm to:

1) Expand Zionism and One World Government
2) Make the rich richer (companies or people)
3) Drive millions of Muslim invaders into Europe to destory Christianity eventually replacing the native population permanantly.
4) Prop up the US Dollar with childrens blood.

You look at what happened in Kosovo Serbia in 1999 and tell me this hasn't all been planned by the evil forces behind the scenes for decades. They intentionally set up a Muslim ethnostate in the heart of nationalist Christian nation. They attacked Serbia after Serbia was attacked by KLA Muslims Serbia started forcing Muslisms streaming OUT of Europe. Something like 400,000 Muslims were fleeing back to the middle east before General Wesly Clark took command and Hillary Clinton claimed there were "concentration camps" using fake photos. Her and Bill supporting the war.

The real truth is they didn't want Muslims leaving Europe. They wanted Muslims INVADING Europe. Christian Serbia was fighting back and they couldn't have it. So they started bombing the civilian popuation. Then lied and said they never did. Then later said only about 3000 people were killed. All lies. Ask anyone who lived in Belgrade during this time and they will tell you it was none stop missles and people dying in the streets. Now flash forward to recent times they are finally bombing Syria (after all these other Mid East coutries) and millions of Muslims are pouring into Europe unopposed.

It was all set up slowly playing out. That was their plan all long. The muslim invaders are also being helped by "Humanitarian" and "Missionary" organizations tied to private groups. Many that ldea back to George Soros. That is why they arrive by the Millions with new clothes, cell phones, and bottle water. To replace and destory the native cultures and Christianity.

The Military is being used dishonorably. That is why I never joined and will never join.

Examine your reasons carefully. WHY are you going into the military. If the reason is "because I don't know what else to do" "I can't get a job" "They will pay for college". There are always other options. You should make clear your real reasons and what you'll be doing there.
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Thunderbolt47 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 am I have served through military service in Russia, and got my nationality in that country because of that.

Are you Russian or American? I am not undersanding ..
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Blessed wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 am
My opinions on this are highly offensive and I generally keep them to myself for fear of offending the small minded,

I did not enlist. They put the pen and paper in front of me with 3 uniformed soliders to sign - and I got up the courage and left. The only reason I considered it at the time was because I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO when I turned 18 and my Dad kept constantly after me and being mean to me and telling me to get out of the house and go go go. He also highly respected the Military because HE was in the military. So he parroted all the typical "patriot" stuff. "I served" "I was in the Army" "what have you ever done" Bla bla bla.

Had I gone I would've ended up killed, crippled, maimed or with PTSD on psych meds with no marketable skills, a cheating wife, child support payments for her new BF and misery. I would have crippled maimed and MURDERED innocent people to support an agenda that I personally believe is - generally speaking - unjust. Going into the military is a highly honorable, the most commendable, highest honor sacrifice - YES. But IMO used dishonorably. All of the millions of people the USA has killed. I cannot begin to fathom. And this is NOT Christian NOT on the side of good.

I am not interested in killing people that have done myself or this country no harm to:

1) Expand Zionism and One World Government
2) Make the rich richer (companies or people)
3) Drive millions of Muslim invaders into Europe to destory Christianity eventually replacing the native population permanantly.
4) Prop up the US Dollar with childrens blood.

You look at what happened in Kosovo Serbia in 1999 and tell me this hasn't all been planned by the evil forces behind the scenes for decades. They intentionally set up a Muslim ethnostate in the heart of nationalist Christian nation. They attacked Serbia after Serbia was attacked by KLA Muslims Serbia started forcing Muslisms streaming OUT of Europe. Something like 400,000 Muslims were fleeing back to the middle east before General Wesly Clark took command and Hillary Clinton claimed there were "concentration camps" using fake photos. Her and Bill supporting the war.

The real truth is they didn't want Muslims leaving Europe. They wanted Muslims INVADING Europe. Christian Serbia was fighting back and they couldn't have it. So they started bombing the civilian popuation. Then lied and said they never did. Then later said only about 3000 people were killed. All lies. Ask anyone who lived in Belgrade during this time and they will tell you it was none stop missles and people dying in the streets. Now flash forward to recent times they are finally bombing Syria (after all these other Mid East coutries) and millions of Muslims are pouring into Europe unopposed.

It was all set up slowly playing out. That was their plan all long. The muslim invaders are also being helped by "Humanitarian" and "Missionary" organizations tied to private groups. Many that ldea back to George Soros. That is why they arrive by the Millions with new clothes, cell phones, and bottle water. To replace and destory the native cultures and Christianity.

The Military is being used dishonorably. That is why I never joined and will never join.

Examine your reasons carefully. WHY are you going into the military. If the reason is "because I don't know what else to do" "I can't get a job" "They will pay for college". There are always other options. You should make clear your real reasons and what you'll be doing there.
There's very little out here, not just for me but for others.
Then again we can be picked for jury duty so is it really that bad to be under the gov't in the military, in itself? I agree with you that the worst part is having to go to wars that are unnecessary, but I thought I might as well serve under Uncle Sam.

PS on to that person who said everyone should serve for half a year, no. That can't work, and that is why the draft was abolished and the MEPS have a rather strict guideline. There are people who just can't do it, like for instance severely handicapped people, paraplegics, etc.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Blessed, generalizations about nations are not terribly useful. And especially whenever speaking of "Christian" nations - what that only typically means is that a nation has traditionally been culturally Christian, yet with a rather small modern percentage of authentic, sincere Christ followers. Fox example, the U.S. is NOT, overall, a Christian nation. I'd say perhaps a third (if that) of Americans are truly Christians, even though many more self-identify as Christians - with most merely being only CULTURAL Christians. Go to most of Europe - same deal, a relatively small percentage are truly Christians. Oh, yes, they CALL themselves Christians, are Orthodox, Catholic or whatever - but none of those labels or their cultural Christian influences make them authentic Christians. A Christian has faith in Christ AND has committed themselves to Him in leadership and with a desire to obey His teachings. So many people use the label of "Christian" mostly for political or cultural self-identifications, but are typcially clueless about Biblical Christianity - the only type that truly matters to God.
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Philip wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:19 pm Blessed, generalizations about nations are not terribly useful. And especially whenever speaking of "Christian" nations - what that only typically means is that a nation has traditionally been culturally Christian, yet with a rather small modern percentage of authentic, sincere Christ followers. Fox example, the U.S. is NOT, overall, a Christian nation. I'd say perhaps a third (if that) of Americans are truly Christians, even though many more self-identify as Christians - with most merely being only CULTURAL Christians. Go to most of Europe - same deal, a relatively small percentage are truly Christians. Oh, yes, they CALL themselves Christians, are Orthodox, Catholic or whatever - but none of those labels or their cultural Christian influences make them authentic Christians. A Christian has faith in Christ AND has committed themselves to Him in leadership and with a desire to obey His teachings. So many people use the label of "Christian" mostly for political or cultural self-identifications, but are typcially clueless about Biblical Christianity - the only type that truly matters to God.
But if you can't tell if they are truly Christians or not you have to go by what they declare right ?