Military service

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Post Reply
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 24 times

Military service

#1

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Many ppl don't like it for some reason. Sounds like a good choice to me, though it does depend on the nation. The US is a good choice since we're the big brother of the world.
Any of y'all been in the service of are thinking of it? Cuz I've talked to recruiters, I'm thinking of the Navy (Army would be my next choice), and while it's rather tough in there it'd be good for me. My ASVAB score was a 79, which for these parts is pretty high (though Ik a guy who had a 90 but he has diabetes so he can't get in though he really wants to).

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20039
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 975 times

Re: Military service

#2

Post by RickD » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:03 pm

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm
Many ppl don't like it for some reason. Sounds like a good choice to me, though it does depend on the nation. The US is a good choice since we're the big brother of the world.
Any of y'all been in the service of are thinking of it? Cuz I've talked to recruiters, I'm thinking of the Navy (Army would be my next choice), and while it's rather tough in there it'd be good for me. My ASVAB score was a 79, which for these parts is pretty high (though Ik a guy who had a 90 but he has diabetes so he can't get in though he really wants to).
I've never been in the service, I wasn't able to because of a leg injury and a metal plate and screws in my leg.

With that said, I think it can be a great opportunity for many people. You can learn a lot of important real-life skills in the military. Where I live, military and ex-military, get preferential treatment when it comes to jobs. There's a great deal of respect for military here. I have a nephew and two nieces that grew up more than half their lives living next door to me. My nephew is in the marines. One niece married a marine, and the other niece is engaged to a marine.
They're all very respectful young people, with great work ethics. That's one thing that I've found lacking with many people today, a work ethic.

The military definitely teaches a good work ethic, which helps anyone be successful at whatever they choose to do.

If I were you, I'd give it some serious consideration.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Military service

#3

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:23 pm

RickD wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:03 pm
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm
Many ppl don't like it for some reason. Sounds like a good choice to me, though it does depend on the nation. The US is a good choice since we're the big brother of the world.
Any of y'all been in the service of are thinking of it? Cuz I've talked to recruiters, I'm thinking of the Navy (Army would be my next choice), and while it's rather tough in there it'd be good for me. My ASVAB score was a 79, which for these parts is pretty high (though Ik a guy who had a 90 but he has diabetes so he can't get in though he really wants to).
I've never been in the service, I wasn't able to because of a leg injury and a metal plate and screws in my leg.

With that said, I think it can be a great opportunity for many people. You can learn a lot of important real-life skills in the military. Where I live, military and ex-military, get preferential treatment when it comes to jobs. There's a great deal of respect for military here. I have a nephew and two nieces that grew up more than half their lives living next door to me. My nephew is in the marines. One niece married a marine, and the other niece is engaged to a marine.
They're all very respectful young people, with great work ethics. That's one thing that I've found lacking with many people today, a work ethic.

The military definitely teaches a good work ethic, which helps anyone be successful at whatever they choose to do.

If I were you, I'd give it some serious consideration.
Oh I definitely have, and even been working out more than usual-I now have some abs forming and my leg muscles are much stronger than they used to be.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8493
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 309 times

Re: Military service

#4

Post by PaulSacramento » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:24 am

As a former peacekeeper I can say that the military CAN be a great thing.
Personally I think that everyone should go through military service for at least 9 months.
Basic training and all that.
It would eliminate a lot of stupidity in society.
You want TRUE equality? the military way is best.
Everyone is treated the same, like crap.
Or I should say, it USED to be that way.
Now they have special requirements for women and they accommodate different cultures and whatnot.
Silly.
These users liked this post by PaulSacramento:
thatkidakayoungguy (Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:51 am)

Thunderbolt47
Newbie Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Military service

#5

Post by Thunderbolt47 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 am

I have served through military service in Russia, and got my nationality in that country because of that.

It was hard, and sadly the huge majority of people being conscripted there are lowlife idiots (everyone else finds a way out of serving) and this was the worst part.

If you are serving with normal people like my father did, it can be a good experience because it teaches discipline and hard work, but if you serve with inbred idiots, you will just learn how to hide from working parties, drink, and fight in the barracks. But at least I became a good shot with an anti-tank gun, it's useless in life, but it was quite fun!

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Military service

#6

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:12 am

Thunderbolt47 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 am
I have served through military service in Russia, and got my nationality in that country because of that.

It was hard, and sadly the huge majority of people being conscripted there are lowlife idiots (everyone else finds a way out of serving) and this was the worst part.

If you are serving with normal people like my father did, it can be a good experience because it teaches discipline and hard work, but if you serve with inbred idiots, you will just learn how to hide from working parties, drink, and fight in the barracks. But at least I became a good shot with an anti-tank gun, it's useless in life, but it was quite fun!
How was the winter like?

Thunderbolt47
Newbie Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Military service

#7

Post by Thunderbolt47 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:08 am

Harsh, of course, but that's not the worst thing I've ever experienced ; sleeping outside with a -32 Celsius temperature IS demanding, but if you have the right clothing and sleep in the right conditions (in a hole, with something to insulate you from the ground, with a tent half above you) it is possible. The little trick that we did when the officer was a good friend was to put these heat/cold pads (a little pouch of blue liquid that stays warm for a while when you heat it, and stays cold for a while when you freeze it) directly on the auxiliary engine of the gun or on hot parts of the towing vehicle's engine in the evening and put them in our uniform's inner pockets in the evening. Perfect!

The worst climate conditions I've experienced during my military service was summer in southern Siberia. +43 Celsius, and so many mosquitoes that you end up breathing some of them in every evening. I almost turned mad after the 3rd sleepless night spent smashing mosquitoes and scratching my body everywhere...

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Military service

#8

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 am

Ok if all goes good I should meet with the Petty Officer tomorrow for enlistment. Then soon after comes the MEPS, which hopefully there's nothing wrong with me so I can pass.
These users liked this post by thatkidakayoungguy:
RickD (Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:34 pm)

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7085
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: Military service

#9

Post by Philip » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Good luck, kid - hope you've though hard with a lot of prayer about this step!
These users liked this post by Philip:
thatkidakayoungguy (Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:01 pm)

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Military service

#10

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 am

I haven't enlisted yet but I did paperwork. They have to go and see some records such as a suspension and a few other things.
Anyhow, I want to be a Seabee aka the Construction Unit in the Navy.

Post Reply