Lust

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Lust

Post by RickD »

I had a quick back and forth in the mini chat about whether or not looking at an attractive woman, in and of itself, is considered lust.

I figured that I would put it out there for others to chime in on.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Lust

Post by Kurieuo »

Not looking in/off itself, that's a bit overboard. Even Jesus would have done that.

Consider also if you're an attractive woman (like all those who post here) -- are they lusting everytime they get up in the morning to look at themselves in the mirror?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Beauty can be admired without desiring to own or use it. God designed me to think women are beautiful and to find that attractive. I can see a sexy woman and be amazed by her beauty: Not lust / sin. But I can see a sexy lady and think, "boy oh boy, I'd like to...": Lust / sin! But I can't WRONGLY lust after my wife (another sexy babe!), because she and I are one - I'm hers, she's mine. Lust, BTW, is merely a strong desire. Lust is sinful when I desire (covet) some thing or person who is not mine to so desire. Admiring is not the same as desiring. But there is a line to be careful of - to not linger so long on admiring that it goes beyond it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Seeing how Kurieuo and Philip responded to the question, it seems I may have been wrong. The person I was talking to, said that looking is lust. And I said that women should stay in the kitchen.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:57 pm I had a quick back and forth in the mini chat about whether or not looking at an attractive woman, in and of itself, is considered lust.

You mean an attractive woman like the one in your avatar? y:-? Hey, some of us prefer looking at attractive men anyway. Not lustfully. 8)
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

Kurieuo wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:44 pm Not looking in/off itself, that's a bit overboard. Even Jesus would have done that.

Consider also if you're an attractive woman (like all those who post here) -- are they lusting everytime they get up in the morning to look at themselves in the mirror?
Well, I had to like that. Maybe if they're gay women?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nicki wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:00 pm
Kurieuo wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:44 pm Not looking in/off itself, that's a bit overboard. Even Jesus would have done that.

Well, I had to like that. Maybe if they're gay women?
Such takes homossexuality to a whole new level. :)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

This Poll should clear things up a bit.

Have a look at the picture below (not for too long though). Would you classify the male's behavior as :-

(i) Admiration
(ii) Lustful
(iii) Humorous
(iv) Perverted
(v) Depraved
(vi) Artistic
(vii) Brilliant
(viii) Entertaining
(ix) Deeply concerned
(x) Some of the above
(xi) None of the above, something else - please specify

Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I choose (ii), (iv), (v), and (xi).

It's a trick question, because part of the picture is cut out. The man is a kiwi, and he's actually looking lustfully past the woman, at a herd of sheep crossing the road.

-Edward R Murrow

LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

I think that could be his wife standing next to him. The expression on the woman's face then suggests she is "a little tired of being admired all the time". Now, assuming those sheep were doctored into the photo, then its (i). Otherwise, he's just being a pervert (iv).

Edit: Disclaimer: Anyone taking moral guidance from this thread does so at his/her own risk. By reading these posts, you agree that any and all liabilities against the author are null and void.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Think Benny H wouldn't have been on the #MeToo list???!!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:29 pm Think Benny H wouldn't have been on the #MeToo list???!!!
Benny Hinn?

-Edward R Murrow

LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Catechism:
2351 Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure. Sexual pleasure is morally disordered when sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes. (source: scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm#II)

If I listen to the tune below while reading that above.....

I feel a slight moral crisis y:-?
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mrtzur2015 »

RickD wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:57 pm I had a quick back and forth in the mini chat about whether or not looking at an attractive woman, in and of itself, is considered lust.

i said looking at a women because shes attractive would be lust not just casually looking.
you can look at your sister, she might be attractive but that is not why you look at her..
regardless i think that its not our place to judge for that. only God knows your heart at the mommet you look.
i also think that if your wife gets offended by it that in itself is sin.

i think Jesus has warned us very strongly about these things and we should all take it seriously.
i don't look at other women (or trying not to, would be impossible otherwise) and that is because i have respect for my Lord and God what he has done for me on that cross and also the oath i took in-front of him to stick with my wife.

its up to you what you want to take from this, i am not going to argue my point and im not trying to judge no one by saying this.
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mrtzur2015 »

LittleHamster wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 pm Catechism:
2351 Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure. Sexual pleasure is morally disordered when sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes. (source: scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm#II)

If I listen to the tune below while reading that above.....
lust can be anything , it most certainly does not have to be all about sex.