Pagan Mythology

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Pagan Mythology

Post by Philip »

Clay: Seriously, how can anyone fight against God and expect to win? Especially when God knows the end from the beginning!
Because they were blinded by their own immense pride and lust for desiring to take God's rightful place in their hearts, minds and Heaven.

And God REALLY hates our pride - for good reason!
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mrtzur2015 »

riderontheclouds wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:26 pm I am currently reading the Epic of Gilgamesh, and enjoying it. Is it wrong for believers to enjoy Pagan mythology?

My argument for it not being wrong is that the writers of the Bible, particularly the Old Testament (Tanakh to me) would use imagery from Pagan mythology to make theological points. Isaiah 27 and Psalm 74 use imagery from the Baal Cycle, for example.

Though I am not presently a 'Christian' (I presently only follow the OT), Paul claimed that eating meat sacrificed to idols is fine, provided it is not in the context of Pagan worship. Maybe Pagan literature is fine, provided it is not in the context of worship?
I’m not going to encourage this but the way I see it is that it’s all about how you approach it
I had a long debate with someone about a ouija board and they were against it . For me it’s not the object that is forbidden but the act of using the board to communicate to the dead with it

For example I could tell you I use chairs to talk to the dead. Does this mean we stop using chairs?
Or I could tell you that I see and talk to the dead using my glasses so are glasses forbidden now ?
Of course not... it’s all about your heart.

The only time I think this would be a bad idea is if someone saw you having these books and would assume it’s ok to do what’s written because you have them .
So if I had an ouija board in my house and someone would see it and assume it’s ok to use them because I am a Christian (messianic Jew) and I have it would be my fault for their fall.

In the end it’s all created by God and for his glory and purpose. It’s men (human heart) who invented paganism (or satan)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Well, the other dangerous thing about using a ouija board or channeling the dead is, the moment you buy into the belief that such things actually have mystical powers to reveal otherwise hidden truths from some otherwise, unseen supernatural realm, that is the exact moment one becomes open to all matter of deceptions of the demonic. So the attempt to tap into this mystical, occultist realm is sinful and evil, goes against God's strict orders forbidding it, and it's a gateway to satanic snares.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Phil. Just to be clear. You are not saying that playing with an ouija board can really work? From your workding I got a vague sense that if you believe it it will happen. Just want to know what you mean.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Neo: Phil. Just to be clear. You are not saying that playing with an Ouija board can really work? From your wording I got a vague sense that if you believe it it will happen. Just want to know what you mean.
There is NO power in these things only in and of themselves. And at times it may not work - but merely pursuing these mystical things are very sinful, according to God. And one might even just convince themselves such things are working. But the demonic can also certainly deceive and foster belief in them per their own power and deceptions. So, instead of turning to God for answers, or not believing what He says about where the dead are (that they aren't in some state where they can be communicated with) - they pursue them nonetheless. And so the demonic can make this appear to be happening. If one begins to believe that some answers from the spirit world are being channeled through the dead, or even through a Ouija board, then they can be deceived by the answers the demonic might manipulate to provide them. And once one believes the messages they might hear from the demonic, the deception is complete, and likely, they will keep pursuing these. If you look at some of the serious Christian research into alien abduction stories or ongoing contact, told by seemingly normal people, many of them have been involved in the occult. Look at Voodoo practitioners, people obsessed with the paranormal, etc.
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member

Post by mrtzur2015 »

Philip wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:25 am Well, the other dangerous thing about using a ouija board or channeling the dead is, the moment you buy into the belief that such things actually have mystical powers to reveal otherwise hidden truths from some otherwise, unseen supernatural realm, that is the exact moment one becomes open to all matter of deceptions of the demonic. So the attempt to tap into this mystical, occultist realm is sinful and evil, goes against God's strict orders forbidding it, and it's a gateway to satanic snares.
I agree. This is what I said. But just the fact of owning one does not count against Gods will. Therefore it’s all about our hearts.

Like I said one can open his mind to these things using rocks or candles chairs or glasses etc etc . But the objects out of themselves are not forbidden. It is the act and the opening of ones heart to such deceptions .
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member

Post by mrtzur2015 »

neo-x wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:47 am Phil. Just to be clear. You are not saying that playing with an ouija board can really work? From your workding I got a vague sense that if you believe it it will happen. Just want to know what you mean.
I think the ouija board will work it’s not a secret that satan uses spirits to deciveve us.
But once again it’s not just an ouija board one could use whatever they wishes if they truly believe that they can commune with the dead..