Alternatives to ASOIAF/GOT

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Post Reply
riderontheclouds
Acquainted Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Alternatives to ASOIAF/GOT

#1

Post by riderontheclouds » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 am

I have enjoyed reading ASOIAF and watching GOT for some time now. I can assure you that I've been watching it for the fascinating political intrigue, and gritty realism above... the other stuff. But the other stuff is what concerns me. I've become more religious as of late, and now find it hard to reconcile the somewhat pornographic material with the Bible.

What Fantasy books featuring themes simialr to ASOIAF are preferrable?

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7090
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: Alternatives to ASOIAF/GOT

#2

Post by Philip » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:24 pm

Welcome, rider - first, how about taking a moment to tell us a bit about yourself!

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20041
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 975 times

Re: Alternatives to ASOIAF/GOT

#3

Post by RickD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:13 pm

riderontheclouds wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 am
I have enjoyed reading ASOIAF and watching GOT for some time now. I can assure you that I've been watching it for the fascinating political intrigue, and gritty realism above... the other stuff. But the other stuff is what concerns me. I've become more religious as of late, and now find it hard to reconcile the somewhat pornographic material with the Bible.

What Fantasy books featuring themes simialr to ASOIAF are preferrable?
I have to say that I've grown to love GOT, but I stopped watching it for a while, due to some scenes that I found extremely inappropriate. Scenes that really weren't necessary for the story. It's a great story on its own, without having to use sex, gay sex, and extremely vulgar language.

But, I prefer the show to the book(s).

I really loved LOTR, and I think GOT took that to a whole other level.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

riderontheclouds
Acquainted Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Alternatives to ASOIAF/GOT

#4

Post by riderontheclouds » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Philip wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:24 pm
Welcome, rider - first, how about taking a moment to tell us a bit about yourself!
Old Testament follower, not quite christian yet, theistic evolutionist/evolutionary creationist. Aspiring fantasy writer, I blog here:

https://riderontheclouds.wordpress.com

riderontheclouds
Acquainted Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Alternatives to ASOIAF/GOT

#5

Post by riderontheclouds » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:36 pm

RickD wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:13 pm
riderontheclouds wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 am
I have enjoyed reading ASOIAF and watching GOT for some time now. I can assure you that I've been watching it for the fascinating political intrigue, and gritty realism above... the other stuff. But the other stuff is what concerns me. I've become more religious as of late, and now find it hard to reconcile the somewhat pornographic material with the Bible.

What Fantasy books featuring themes simialr to ASOIAF are preferrable?
I have to say that I've grown to love GOT, but I stopped watching it for a while, due to some scenes that I found extremely inappropriate. Scenes that really weren't necessary for the story. It's a great story on its own, without having to use sex, gay sex, and extremely vulgar language.

But, I prefer the show to the book(s).

I really loved LOTR, and I think GOT took that to a whole other level.
My thoughts exactly to be honest. I think the way it treats human nature (as morally ambiguous) is both human and biblical. But how to reconcile watching it with the other stuff?

Post Reply