Fortnite and PUBG

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Fortnite and PUBG

Post by Nessa »

Nicki wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:39 pm
Nessa wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:02 pm dont pyschopaths start out with animals... :shock:
Often, I guess, but I don't kill cute little animals in the game - either they're dangerous animals/monsters which attack you if you get too close anyway, or they're reasonably benign creatures (till you attack them) but pests. My main interest in the game is doing quests which involve different tasks - not all of those are killing particular creatures but often you get attacked by hostile things on your way to do something else anyway. Sounds violent :oops: but it is fantasy.

Hurting real animals is about the furthest thing from what I want to do (apart from hurting people). We had a couple of mice in the house recently and I got humane traps so I could catch them unhurt and release them outside - I tried to send them down the street in the direction of a vacant field but the last one made straight for the neighbour's front door! I should take them right down to the field I suppose.
Ohhh, good. So If I visit aussie I can stay at your house without having to sleep with one eye open :mrgreen:
Blessed
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Post by Blessed »

I've played video games since Atari. Asteroids, Pong, Frogger, Missile Command, Pitfall.

Over 18 age ratings and "show me your ID" on violent video games should be required in retail. Just like tobacco and alcohol.

In heaven these things would not exist but on earth they exists. The first "evil" game I played was called "Doom". The game series is a first person shooter game through hell. Doom 3 and 4 , in the end level you go to hell and kill Satan. It's an extremely graphic, very scary game, because the music and scenes match like a horror film. I made me jump scared. For something like this it should be illegal to sell to a minor. Also other games like Postal and Manhunt and Ethnic Cleansing should also be 18+.

In bliss these games would not exist. While on earth I would say it's not Christian to play the extreme ones. The other ones are allot of fun though. My parents bought me the Atari's and Nintendos so I did not play anything "extreme" until young adult but I also grew up in an era of no computers, dial phones, and movies out night. I'm very happy I did too. I am very happy I was not born into the world these kids are inheriting today.
Nicki
Sex: Female

Post by Nicki »

Nessa wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 pm
Nessa wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:02 pm dont pyschopaths start out with animals... :shock:
Often, I guess, but I don't kill cute little animals in the game - either they're dangerous animals/monsters which attack you if you get too close anyway, or they're reasonably benign creatures (till you attack them) but pests. My main interest in the game is doing quests which involve different tasks - not all of those are killing particular creatures but often you get attacked by hostile things on your way to do something else anyway. Sounds violent :oops: but it is fantasy.

Hurting real animals is about the furthest thing from what I want to do (apart from hurting people). We had a couple of mice in the house recently and I got humane traps so I could catch them unhurt and release them outside - I tried to send them down the street in the direction of a vacant field but the last one made straight for the neighbour's front door! I should take them right down to the field I suppose.
Ohhh, good. So If I visit aussie I can stay at your house without having to sleep with one eye open :mrgreen:
Sure... :econfused: ;)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Nessa wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:03 pm
neo-x wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:46 pm How is this a moral issue? It is a game, isn't it?
With that logic, you could get away with a helluva lot of stuff...
I see your point but I find it irrelevant as it changes nothing. Human history is filled with bloodshed and violence and moral dilemmas without video games to help them - which have been around for less than 60 years.

My friend's younger brother is a heroin addict. When he was starting I told him that this would eventually kill him and he said, so would a car on the road. My point is, people find excuses to do whatever they want to do, logic or reason has zero influence on their decisions.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

neo-x wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 pm
neo-x wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:46 pm How is this a moral issue? It is a game, isn't it?
I see your point but I find it irrelevant as it changes nothing. Human history is filled with bloodshed and violence and moral dilemmas without video games to help them - which have been around for less than 60 years.

My friend's younger brother is a heroin addict. When he was starting I told him that this would eventually kill him and he said, so would a car on the road. My point is, people find excuses to do whatever they want to do, logic or reason has zero influence on their decisions.
I saw a doco on a virtual reality game where you can make yourself into a character and play out your life with others on a computer screen. One wife met another guy on it and their characters had virtual sex in the game. Is that ok?

She was so addicted she left her family to meet the guy. It didnt work out off screen. Suprise, suprise...
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Nessa wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:32 pm
neo-x wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 pm

I saw a doco on a virtual reality game where you can make yourself into a character and play out your life with others on a computer screen. One wife met another guy on it and their characters had virtual sex in the game. Is that ok?

She was so addicted she left her family to meet the guy. It didnt work out off screen. Suprise, suprise...
I agree. The people who opt to play such VR game to find love, meaning or relationships have deeper problems imo. Of course it is not okay if she is committed in a relationship. But then again, it just shows that she wasn't happy apparently and was open to other options. And gaming experiences don't always pan out to be serious outside of the gaming activity itself.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Often, I guess, but I don't kill cute little animals in the game - either they're dangerous animals/monsters which attack you if you get too close anyway, or they're reasonably benign creatures (till you attack them) but pests. My main interest in the game is doing quests which involve different tasks - not all of those are killing particular creatures but often you get attacked by hostile things on your way to do something else anyway. Sounds violent :oops: but it is fantasy..
I'm not sure you're saved Nicki. What kind of Christian would play an RPG where there's lots of killing? y/:] Notwithstanding the Witcher was a favorite series of mine... but given it was considered one of the best RPGs ever, it was at least worth jeopardising my soul. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nicki wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:16 am
Nessa wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Sure... :econfused: ;)
Well if the mice are at your neighbours now, that'd mean they aren't in your barn. I'm sure your sheep wouldn't mind a little company. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

neo-x wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:26 am
I agree. The people who opt to play such VR game to find love, meaning or relationships have deeper problems imo. Of course it is not okay if she is committed in a relationship. But then again, it just shows that she wasn't happy apparently and was open to other options. And gaming experiences don't always pan out to be serious outside of the gaming activity itself.
Just want to point that If she was not happy it does not have to mean her husband was not good husband or what. Many times, people do not value what they have and looks for more. Our sinful nature.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

1over137 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:36 pm
neo-x wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:26 am
Just want to point that If she was not happy it does not have to mean her husband was not good husband or what. Many times, people do not value what they have and looks for more. Our sinful nature.
Of course. I wasn't implying that she had a bad husband per se.

without.

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Yes, and I had difficlties wording my post :)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Fortnight Parody. (Something all parents will relate to) Enjoy !

Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times