Humans

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Humans

Post by Nessa »

I have been watching the sci fi tv show 'Humans'

It raises some excellent questions such as 'What does it mean to be truly human?'

There is a code that has now made the synths conscious.
Some can now think and feel

'All we can do is what feels right'
(A synthetic speaking about their own limitations)

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Humans

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:I have been watching the sci fi tv show 'Humans'

It raises some excellent questions such as 'What does it mean to be truly human?'

Techs and programmers wish they could create intelligence, but sadly, it'll only ever be artificial and not real intelligence or, as we understand such, consciousness.

Fast-forward to about 1 min 30 sec in for explanation why.

https://youtu.be/GB5TNrtu9Pk?t=1m30s
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I wonder...

Does Audacity think we have souls?

If everthing is just determinism and we dont have real choices then how are we really any different than the synths?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Good point, we're no more than sophisticated robots if the determinism Audacity believes in is true. Although, I'm sure he can speak for himself and would say as much.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Have you watched West World? A lot more nudity and like, but leaves it more enigmatic how they get their consciousness. Seems to be, that society at large is catching up with the issue of consciousness which philosophers have long discussed. Which, I think, is a good thing. For too long, the focus has been on the material world rather than the immaterial oddities we experience and know exist.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:Have you watched West World? A lot more nudity and like, but leaves it more enigmatic how they get their consciousness. Seems to be, that society at large is catching up with the issue of consciousness which philosophers have long discussed. Which, I think, is a good thing. For too long, the focus has been on the material world rather than the immaterial oddities we experience and know exist.
Maybe more nudity but 'Humans' is still pretty graphic.

The dilema came up where the husband had sex with the family synth.

Now is that cheating? y:-?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I just watched your link for 'Westworld'....

You wouldn't be trying to get me addicted to yet another show would you? :P
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:I have been watching the sci fi tv show 'Humans'

Techs and programmers wish they could create intelligence, but sadly, it'll only ever be artificial and not real intelligence or, as we understand such, consciousness.

Fast-forward to about 1 min 30 sec in for explanation why.

https://youtu.be/GB5TNrtu9Pk?t=1m30s
nice. the inescapable conclusion of any such artificial consciousness will be "all humans must die," regardless of any fictional 1st law of robotics; as "drone bombers" demonstrates.

"omnipotence" carried to "determinism" is just another copout, when we can see how any parent is--or at least should be--functionally "omniscient" where their children are concerned.
"We might think it will rain, whereas God would know it might rain."
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

The reason I don't think (not believe, think.) that A.I. will grow out of control is that, to replicate the human brain requires a computer so advanced and vast that one single machine would take up an area the size of the Amazon rain forest. There's not enough Geek Squad on the planet to fix something like that if it goes down.

(Now, you could place it on some artificial moon orbiting earth, but my next point may caveat that)

And all that hardware, all those wires is just for one replicated human brain. So, basically, you COULD have A.I. robots, with enough money and manpower to make the Manhattan Project look like a school bake sale. But it would lead to one robot.

Now, that being said, you could have multiple "platforms" to host that particular artificial intelligence if this enormous machine could transmit the signal to many robots. But they would all be the same personality. Imagine 100, 1,000 robots all with the same personality. Pretty lame and vanilla, don't you think? I think so.

TL;DR humanly-impossible complex machinery, underwhelming technological result, limited capabilities of said result

So, if we ever have to worry about the philosophical and hypothetical moral dilemma concerning androids and their rights, I say "natent humans first over synthetics, period." and stick to that principle, considering it will most likely never happen.

Source for most of this: http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/s ... ement.html
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

What of people born without a brain? How do they get their consciousness I wonder. y:-?