Is homosexuality harmful?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Audacity
BANNED
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Is homosexuality harmful?

Post by Audacity »

Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

Can God do something he 'hates'?
Sure he can, and did. The Bible doesn't come right out and use the word "hate" (I don't think any translator of the Bible would dare use the word), but God does show his anger at what he did in the following verses, which I think could be reasonably interpreted as a expressing hatred. He hated having created the human race, and so much so that he decided to kill all the innocent animals as well. This isn't mere dislike or loathing. It's out and out angry hatred.

Genesis 6:5-7
"The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

Sure he can, and did. The Bible doesn't come right out and use the word "hate" (I don't think any translator of the Bible would dare use the word), but God does show his anger at what he did in the following verses, which I think could be reasonably interpreted as a expressing hatred. He hated having created the human race, and so much so that he decided to kill all the innocent animals as well. This isn't mere dislike or loathing. It's out and out angry hatred.

"The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”
Are you angry with God? y:-?
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Audacity throws out his irresistible bait, and then here comes the "fish." ;) And when they quit biting, he just changes the bait he's using. Etc.
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

RickD wrote:
Katabole wrote:
RickD wrote:So,

As long as we're not "habitual" sinners, we will be saved? So we either have to stop sinning, or it's off to hell with us?

Wow,

You guys and your works gospel sure put burdens on people.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

I do not believe in a works-based Gospel.

Jesus told people to stop sinning.

John 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Everyone sins everyday. If Christ personally warned us to sin no more, we would still sin. However, I would hope as Christians since we sin every day, that we ask God for forgiveness every day as well. I certainly do. I am sure that Paul let the Corinthians know that as well. If we do, God is faithful to forgive our sins, no matter how great or how minor and does not want to hear about them again. That is why prayer is so important. Prayer is a daily part of my life. And if we ask for forgiveness and know that God has been faithful to forgive us, then He is indeed a faithful husband.

I certainly do believe that Christ died for sinners. But I also believe in a God who claims that sinners will not enter the kingdom of God. That is what Paul wrote. I also believe the same God will allow any sinner who repents to enter.

How can a person who is either not a Christian or a Christian who is a sinner or a habitual sinner who does not repent, enter the kingdom? They can't do it by works or merit. The answer is they don't. I do not know of any passage in Scripture that claims that non-Christians and unrepentant sinners enter the kingdom of God. If they do, is there some clause hidden within Scripture I am missing to the contrary? And if that is the case, why doesn't everyone just do what they want to because they are all going to make it to the kingdom, regardless of lack of any kind of Christian-based morality or faith in Christ.

Matthew 7:13 Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.

Matthew 7:14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
RickD wrote:I thank God that even though I may commit spiritual adultery, God is the faithful husband who will never divorce us.
God already is a divorcee. He divorced Israel a long time ago.

Jeremiah 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

Granted, He does plan to marry again in the future.
No sarcasm intended.

It all depends on your definition of "repent". What is the definition that you are using?
Well I do not believe that Biblical repentance is the same as the dictionary definition, which is to feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin or to view or think of an action or omission with deep regret or remorse, even though I believe if a person is convicted by the Spirit, they will come to regret a wrong action.

I would define repentance as having a completely different view, a change of mind from the one you originally held when you were not morally convicted, on how you perceive an action as morally right or wrong. Non-believers generally hold to subjective moral principles. What they think or feel about how they specifically perceive something is right or wrong. And it varies from person to person. Whereas believers do not make up moral principles based on our own fancies. We hold to objective standards of morality as defined by Scripture because we believe those moral standards originate from a perfect Moral Law Giver.

In simplest form it would be to turn from evil, and to turn to the good.

The sense of "regret" is common to New Testament uses. A son "changed his mind" about doing his father's bidding ( Matt 21:29 ). Judas Iscariot was "seized with remorse" after betraying Jesus ( Matt 27:3 ). Paul did not "regret" the sorrow caused by his severe letter to Corinth ( 2 Cor 7:8 ); instead, the pain brought "repentance" that leads to salvation, and leaves no "regret" (v. 9-10).
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Nessa wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

I'm an agnostic. :mrgreen:
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

Oh, so you're not sure if there is someone to be angry at or not ;)
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Katabole wrote:...Well I do not believe that Biblical repentance is the same as the dictionary definition, which is to feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin or to view or think of an action or omission with deep regret or remorse, even though I believe if a person is convicted by the Spirit, they will come to regret a wrong action.

I would define repentance as having a completely different view, a change of mind from the one you originally held when you were not morally convicted, on how you perceive an action as morally right or wrong. Non-believers generally hold to subjective moral principles. What they think or feel about how they specifically perceive something is right or wrong. And it varies from person to person. Whereas believers do not make up moral principles based on our own fancies. We hold to objective standards of morality as defined by Scripture because we believe those moral standards originate from a perfect Moral Law Giver.

In simplest form it would be to turn from evil, and to turn to the good.

The sense of "regret" is common to New Testament uses. A son "changed his mind" about doing his father's bidding ( Matt 21:29 ). Judas Iscariot was "seized with remorse" after betraying Jesus ( Matt 27:3 ). Paul did not "regret" the sorrow caused by his severe letter to Corinth ( 2 Cor 7:8 ); instead, the pain brought "repentance" that leads to salvation, and leaves no "regret" (v. 9-10).
That is a very good answer :clap:
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Nessa wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

Oh, so you're not sure if there is someone to be angry at or not ;)
Just pointing out what the story says. :ebiggrin:
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

Those innocent animals became tainted because of fallen angels,but also the bloodline and possibly genetically altered. Like half breeds,like scientists can produce today genetically. Jesus did say that it would be as in the days of Noah when he returns.Satan was trying alter what God had created and made to prevent the birth of Jesus.Genesis 3:15 was the first prophecy of Jesus coming.So Satan knew he was coming through a woman,but didn't know how or when it would happen.So he tried to alter what God had created.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Audacity wrote:
Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride
Arrogance
Adultery
Blasphemy
Carnality
Wearing clothes of the opposite sex
Dressing immodestly
Condemnation
Boasting
Cursing
Deceit
Fornication
Despising one's neighbor
Drinking
Extortion
Faultfinding
Tattling
Foolishness
Fortune telling
Gambling
Denying Jesus
Mischief
Hate
Idolatry
Impudence
Killing a mother bird in the nest
Not being kind
Laziness
lying
Malice
Slander
Occult
Impatience
Tattoos
Rioting
Selfishness
Sex with a prostitute
Vanity
Witchcraft
etc.
homosexuality
etc.
Wow, this list Sounds like the city where I live, in fact the country - no actually the entire world!

Isn't it such a wonderful place when these sorts of things rule?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

Those innocent animals became tainted because of fallen angels,but also the bloodline and possibly genetically altered.
Just kind of make it up as you go along. How convenient. Unless, of course, you have some kind of evidence. :ewink:
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

B. W. wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride
Arrogance
Adultery
Blasphemy
Carnality
Wearing clothes of the opposite sex
Dressing immodestly
Condemnation
Boasting
Cursing
Deceit
Fornication
Despising one's neighbor
Drinking
Extortion
Faultfinding
Tattling
Foolishness
Fortune telling
Gambling
Denying Jesus
Mischief
Hate
Idolatry
Impudence
Killing a mother bird in the nest
Not being kind
Laziness
lying
Malice
Slander
Occult
Impatience
Tattoos
Rioting
Selfishness
Sex with a prostitute
Vanity
Witchcraft
etc.
homosexuality
etc.
Wow, this list Sounds like the city where I live, in fact the country - no actually the entire world!

Isn't it such a wonderful place when these sorts of things rule?
-
-
-
And with all the "etc.s" no less
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Audacity wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

Those innocent animals became tainted because of fallen angels,but also the bloodline and possibly genetically altered.
Just kind of make it up as you go along. How convenient. Unless, of course, you have some kind of evidence. :ewink:

This has been known biblically,maybe not the genetically altered part,but blood tainting has been known.It comes down to choosing to believe God's word or not. Read Genesis 6:2 and try to believe it as you read it.An example is giants that the OT talks about,like David and Goliath. This kept happening even after Noah's flood too.God's word is revealed more true as time goes on and more is revealed.

Like the fact that scientists can and have produced half-breeds and are trying to create cyborgs,etc. Since Jesus said it will be as in the days of Noah when he returns and we can see scientists altering life genetically,it is like a new revelation being revealed.

Even if I didn't have evidence I'd believe God's word over man,because man has been wrong so many times throughout history,plus I was saved and it changed me and my whole perspective. You suddenly think differently than you did. If you want proof God is real? Get saved and be born again and you'll suddenly know the truth.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Audacity wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

This has been known biblically,maybe not the genetically altered part,but blood tainting has been known.It comes down to choosing to believe God's word or not. Read Genesis 6:2-5 and try to believe it as you read it.An example is giants that the OT talks about,like David and Goliath. This kept happening even after Noah's flood too.God's word is revealed more true as time goes on and more is revealed.

Like the fact that scientists can and have produced half-breeds and are trying to create cyborgs,etc. Since Jesus said it will be as in the days of Noah when he returns and we can see scientists altering life genetically,it is like a new revelation being revealed.

Even if I didn't have evidence I'd believe God's word over man,because man has been wrong so many times throughout history,plus I was saved and it changed me and my whole perspective. You suddenly think differently than you did. If you want proof God is real? Get saved and be born again and you'll suddenly know the truth.

Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audacity wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:

God a 'divorcee'
God hates divorce.

This has been known biblically,maybe not the genetically altered part,but blood tainting has been known.It comes down to choosing to believe God's word or not. Read Genesis 6:2 and try to believe it as you read it.An example is giants that the OT talks about,like David and Goliath. This kept happening even after Noah's flood too.God's word is revealed more true as time goes on and more is revealed.

Nah! :nono: Nah! :nono: Nah! :nono: YOU SAID:

........................................"Those innocent animals became tainted because of fallen angels, . . ."

And none of what you've said supports it, which just goes to show that you "Just kind of make it up as you go along. How convenient."
So god never said it, did he, nor is it in the Bible. You just kind of made it up as you went along didn't you. y[-X "Shame on you."