Money to drug addicts?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Money to drug addicts?

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

When I go to the bigger cities I often come across "story teller beggars;" those beggars who have a very lengthy, in depth sad story in an attempt to get a larger amount of money than most beggars (normally 10-20$). They range from "I need money to bury my daughter" to " I need gas for my car to get home my wife cheated on me and took my money" ect....

Anyway I normally can pick out when they're complete BS, and they are, and I push on them to tell me what they actually need money for. Most of the time they do eventually tell me they want beer or something so I just give them 6$ for PBR and leave them on their merry way (or if they just keep lying they don't get anything). Anyway this one told me he wanted to buy smack (heroin) which made me have second thoughts. I did end up giving him a bit but it almost seems immoral in retrospect that I did so. But in other ways it seems moral.

Pro:
-He won't rob somebody for the money to feed his addiction.
-He won't kill the drug dealer - I dunno-.
-Won't rob a house/store for drugs.

Con:
-I'm giving him money to buy heroin.

Is it the right thing to do?

Opinions?
pulvis sum
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Money to drug addicts?

Post by Storyteller »

Really hard one this...

Personally, if I knew it was for heroin? No, but then who am I to judge? Maybe thats the only thing that gets them through.
I tend to buy homeless folk something to eat and a hot drink, having said that though, I have given them cash for booze.

Part of me thinks no, never, dont encourage the addiction but then am I denying them some kind of release?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

HappyFlappyTheist wrote:When I go to the bigger cities I often come across "story teller beggars;" those beggars who have a very lengthy, in depth sad story in an attempt to get a larger amount of money than most beggars (normally 10-20$). They range from "I need money to bury my daughter" to " I need gas for my car to get home my wife cheated on me and took my money" ect....

Anyway I normally can pick out when they're complete BS, and they are, and I push on them to tell me what they actually need money for. Most of the time they do eventually tell me they want beer or something so I just give them 6$ for PBR and leave them on their merry way (or if they just keep lying they don't get anything). Anyway this one told me he wanted to buy smack (heroin) which made me have second thoughts. I did end up giving him a bit but it almost seems immoral in retrospect that I did so. But in other ways it seems moral.

Pro:

Con:

Opinions?
You're going straight to hell. Do not pass purgatory. Do not collect $200. You will be Satan's right hand man.*

Hana,

Please change HappyFlappyTheist's name to HappyFlappyEnabler.

And to think...you were making such good progress HFT HFE.

*For those wondering, this IS one of those times that it's a joke, AND meant to convey truth. y:D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

HFE,

Your heart is in the right place. You are a very giving person. God will bless you for having good motives.*

*you will be blessed with your very own, special place in hell. Reserved only for those who enable people to sin! :mrgreen:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

HappyFlappyEnabler wrote:When I go to the bigger cities I often come across "story teller beggars;" those beggars who have a very lengthy, in depth sad story in an attempt to get a larger amount of money than most beggars (normally 10-20$). They range from "I need money to bury my daughter" to " I need gas for my car to get home my wife cheated on me and took my money" ect....

Pro:

Con:

Opinions?
Im not sure having a pros and cons list is that helpful in this case.

Would you fork out cash for your child to get drugs?

No? Why? Cos you love them.

Scrap the list and write this question.

"How can I love this guy and show him Gods love?"

Was it peter that said money..i will not give you but I will give you something better....
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
HappyFlappyEnabler wrote:When I go to the bigger cities I often come across "story teller beggars;" those beggars who have a very lengthy, in depth sad story in an attempt to get a larger amount of money than most beggars (normally 10-20$). They range from "I need money to bury my daughter" to " I need gas for my car to get home my wife cheated on me and took my money" ect....

Pro:

Con:

Opinions?
Im not sure having a pros and cons list is that helpful in this case.

Would you fork out cash for your child to get drugs?

No? Why? Cos you love them.

Scrap the list and write this question.

"How can I love this guy and show him Gods love?"

Was it peter that said money..i will not give you but I will give you something better....
Apparently, heroin is better than money! y:-?

-Edward R Murrow

HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

On a serious note heroin is extremely addictive and it's addiction (and lack of fulfillment of) can lead to serious crime for the sake of a "fix."
Would I give my child money for a fix.... no. I would send him to a rehabilitation clinic; I can't quite do that for john doe.
There is a reason the government gives out small portions of morphine to addicts to help them rehabilitate.

Either way, probably a bad idea. I think I just gave him 5$ because he was honest and then tried justifying it in my head later :/ I was kinda stunned too; He straight out told me he was going to buy heroin.... So much for needing propane for his tent.
pulvis sum
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Repent now! Before the flames of hell consume you!

Btw,

I'm going to Vegas. Got any cash to spare?

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

HappyFlappyEnabler wrote:On a serious note heroin is extremely addictive and it's addiction (and lack of fulfillment of) can lead to serious crime for the sake of a "fix."
Would I give my child money for a fix.... no. I would send him to a rehabilitation clinic; I can't quite do that for john doe.
There is a reason the government gives out small portions of morphine to addicts to help them rehabilitate.

Either way, probably a bad idea. I think I just gave him 5$ because he was honest and then tried justifying it in my head later :/ I was kinda stunned too; He straight out told me he was going to buy heroin.... So much for needing propane for his tent.
My point was to have the right motivation for giving it or not giving it...

The motivation.God.requires is love.

How would you send a 20 year old son or.daughter to a rehabilitation clinic? So maybe thats a better comparison?
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

RickD wrote:HFE,

Your heart is in the right place. You are a very giving person. God will bless you for having good motives.*

*you will be blessed with your very own, special place in hell. Reserved only for those who enable people to sin! :mrgreen:
Going off Melvin's book: I wonder what will be going on in my little cube.......
pulvis sum
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

Nessa wrote:
HappyFlappyEnabler wrote:On a serious note heroin is extremely addictive and it's addiction (and lack of fulfillment of) can lead to serious crime for the sake of a "fix."

How would you send a 20 year old son or.daughter to a rehabilitation clinic? So maybe thats a better comparison?

I change my stance. 1 Timothy 5:8 tells me to buy my son heroin :lol:
pulvis sum
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

HappyFlappyEnabler wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Twisted scripture! :twisted: :P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Going off Melvin's book: I wonder what will be going on in my little cube.......
Probably an eternal heroin detox. All while demons, disguised as nice people, keep throwing money at you. And laughing that piercing evil laugh, that chills you to the core!

And now that you mentioned it, I really enjoyed that book. The imagery was amazing.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:

Can you buy me a heroine? How about Wonder Woman in that skimpy costume? :shock:

-Edward R Murrow

HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

RickD wrote:

Probably an eternal heroin detox. All while demons, disguised as nice people, keep throwing money at you. And laughing that piercing evil laugh, that chills you to the core!

And now that you mentioned it, I really enjoyed that book. The imagery was amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uyo6m5gqW0

Melvin should do a reading of his book in a tone similar to 7:50 of that video
pulvis sum