Support Gay Marriage Cakes

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Support Gay Marriage Cakes

Post by Kurieuo »

So, I'm sure many heard in Ireland how a business was successfully taken to court over refusing to not create a cake with "Support Gay Marriage" or something such.

Really, what are the issues involved? Who is being discriminated against?
And most important of all, what about the elephants?
Erm. Ok. Nevermind that last one.

"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Support Gay Marriage Cakes

Post by Storyteller »

Oh, I see.....

The elephants don`t matter. y:O2

Seriously though, is it really right to refuse to serve someone, or not provide a service based on what you believe?

Personally I would keep my beliefs out of my business.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Storyteller wrote:Oh, I see.....

The elephants don`t matter. y:O2

Seriously though, is it really right to refuse to serve someone, or not provide a service based on what you believe?

Personally I would keep my beliefs out of my business.
Would you make a cake: God does not exist or cake Christ was fool?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Yes.

If it was my business to make cakes.

I sell books, I have a copy of the Koran in my shop, along with Mein Kamp.

Its up to my customers to choose what to buy.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

The fact "you" are doing it makes it personal.
And businesses are run by people, and people have moral consciences, beliefs and the like.

So what about a cake that said, "Death to all Gays" and a noose around someone's head.
Or how about a picture of Lee Rigby about to be beheaded with the words "Support ISIS"?

I think if you're honest A, that you'd tell such people to go get buggered.
Maybe even call the police to inform.

There is no prejudice in not making a cake saying "Support Gay Marriage".
The person isn't being served on the basis of their gayness, but rather because of the conflicting message the person making the cake wants no part in.
Gay or straight, the cake would not have been served to anyone. That's the key difference.

Clearly there is a break down in freedom, but it's not the gay person being discriminated against, but the Christian's rights.
It was the same issue with Nazi Germany. The soliders were just doing their job.
US Court basically said "load of bull, there's a higher law that we're all humans are aware to" and then prosecuted many.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Your books are different. Kind of.

Since you're not active really in the process of supporting whatever it is. Not directly.

If another bookseller didn't want to sell Mein Kampf or the Koran, or a guide on how to make bombs or behead someone quickly, then that should be their decision and right.

Unless what we want at the end of the day is really are Communist run societies where all religion or different thoughts are forbidden for the sake of the Community (or those enforcing their rule).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Yes.

If it was my business to make cakes.

I sell books, I have a copy of the Koran in my shop, along with Mein Kamp.

Its up to my customers to choose what to buy.
And I was thinking you had a backbone. :shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Fair points K.

I hadn`t really considered it as the Christians being discriminated against. I suppose it`s a personal thing. While I personally don`t see a problem with the cake, I can respect why as a Christian, someone may have strong views about things like this.

Rick.... I do have a backbone, which is precisely why I will sell any book, regardless of my view on it. Just because I may disagree with the content doesn`t mean I shouldn`t sell it. My bookshop is not the place to make a stand. It is a business.

While I hope that my beliefs wouldn`t sway my decisions on what to sell, I respect the fact that it is other peoples choice whether to sell something or not.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Fair points K.

I hadn`t really considered it as the Christians being discriminated against. I suppose it`s a personal thing. While I personally don`t see a problem with the cake, I can respect why as a Christian, someone may have strong views about things like this.

Rick.... I do have a backbone, which is precisely why I will sell any book, regardless of my view on it. Just because I may disagree with the content doesn`t mean I shouldn`t sell it. My bookshop is not the place to make a stand. It is a business.

While I hope that my beliefs wouldn`t sway my decisions on what to sell, I respect the fact that it is other peoples choice whether to sell something or not.
Annette,

Hypothetically,

Would you sell a book by a pedophile that gave instructions on how to lure preteen girls into a van, then gave explicit details of how he raped a dozen young girls? Or would you just leave that up to the book buyer to decide if they want to buy the book?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Mrs K
Familiar Member

Post by Mrs K »

@Rick - wow, I was going to post almost the same question! :D Just had to log out K and log in as me and then you posted that :)

I was going to say: "Would you draw the line on say book called 'The Joys of Child Molestation'... hypothetically?"
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Omg, I married RickD.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Rick, Mrs K....

That`s a really tough one.

To be fair, unless I want to be a hypocrite I would have to, wouldn`t I?

I suppose I could argue that I wouldn`t buy that sort of book to sell but I do get donations of books so what if such a book was among those?
I guess I just think that it isn`t down to me to censor the books I sell but if I chose not to buy such a book to sell in the first place, is that not me censoring them?

I have no idea why someone buys a particular book, maybe they would be buying it for research on a paper, maybe for sinister, evil reasons but I don`t know their reasoning. In the instance of me having such a book in my shop, if it was bought, then I guess I would be thinking long and hard as to whether I should be contacting someone.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I can see how one can compartmentalise business.
I'm sure A has a line that she still wouldn't personally cross.

And if we were to take a moral stand on absolutely everything, well we'd have to remove ourselves from the world.
We wouldn't be able to even accept ourselves. God still extends grace and allows us to draw near.

Obviously shouldn't promote what is wrong, but at the same time we shouldn't stifle opportunity.
I'm sure a Muslim visiting the store would more likely go to a Muslim-dedicated store.
But, A could surround any Koran with lots of good Christian books. ;) You know, be a bit strategic.

And plus, having copies on hand means you have backup toilet paper. Just don't burn them!
Especially in the UK which is gradually being taken over I hear? No Christian preaching in Islamic no-go zones.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Mrs K wrote:@Rick - wow, I was going to post almost the same question! :D Just had to log out K and log in as me and then you posted that :)

I was going to say: "Would you draw the line on say book called 'The Joys of Child Molestation'... hypothetically?"
Mrs K,

Great minds think alike! ;)

I can see you're the smart one in your family. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Omg, I married RickD.
Just as long as everyone knows that you're the effeminate one. 8)

Btw,

I don't even think that's legal in Australia yet. y:-?

-Edward R Murrow