Mercy Killing

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Mercy Killing

Post by neo-x »

What are your thoughts on the matter? Is it okay, or is it against scripture?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Mercy Killing

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I think a decision would be on a case by case basis, I have no problem with ending someone's suffering when it is terminal. Doctors do it all the time by upping the morphine until the body gives out when a patient is in agonising pain.
This actually happens in war scenarios quite a bit when a wound is so bad it has become terminal, they pump them full of morphine until they effectively overdose.
I don't see anything unbiblical about it.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It's funny how we don't question it when it comes to our pets, that we decide that the poor things shoudl suffer anymore when there is no hope or chance of survival BUT yet we can't afford our human counter-parts that same decency.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Opposed.

In the cases Daniel talked about, the doctor is not trying to kill the patient. He is trying to stop the pain. He knows that the amount of morphine necessary will hasten the patient's death--that is, the patient's death from the procedure is forseen--but that is not the desired or intended goal. This is a well established principle in ethics called the Law of Double Effect. In principle, if a lesser amount of morphine could do the job, or if there is another way to manage the pain without killing the patient is available, the doctors are ethically obligated to try those options first.

In the case of killing our pets, the question doesn't matter because the ethics of killing animals are simply different from the ethics of killing people. PETA notwithstanding, dogs are not persons and do not have the same moral rights as persons do. They are property and can be treated as such. They are living, sentient creatures, and so they deserve a higher degree of respect that, say, a toy car, but that higher level of respect does not translate into an equal moral demand of life that humans have.

With all that said, I am in favor of allowing death to take place under certain circumstances. People are not medically or morally obligated to accept (extraordinary) health care. There is a difference, however, in allowing people to die and causing them to die (passive vs. active euthansia, respectively). We are morally prohibited, however, from causing them to die.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I don't think anyone is talking about killing as much as talking about a person's right to be allowed to die.
I think most will agree that a person should be allowed to die with as little suffering as possible.
The tricky slope for some is helping a person to die because their quality of life is no more( in their view).
Having a father that is terminally ill with ALS and seeing him turn from a very active person to a bid ridden quadripeligic has given me a new perspective on quality of life and what WE think it is and what a person that has lost it thinks it is.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

PaulSacramento wrote:Having a father that is terminally ill with ALS and seeing him turn from a very active person to a bid ridden quadripeligic has given me a new perspective on quality of life and what WE think it is and what a person that has lost it thinks it is.
Would you be open to sharing some about your new perspective? Your perspective before and what it is now? I understand all to well that this is a difficult subject, so if you don't want to, I understand. If you could though, I've found that real world experience is the best way to put an idea to the test. Something that works in the classroom but not at the hospital bedside probably isn't worth believing. I'm not saying that experience determines truth, of course. I am saying, though, that truth, because it is truth, is just the type of thing that is experienced. So I think it adds a lot of value to take some of these questions out of their theoretical frameworks and put them in the contexts of concrete, real life happenings.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Nope...I don't like ''mercy killing'' ... we've been killing our unborn for several decades so far. Most people are fine with the idea, and will even defend it vociferously. Now, there is a growing movement to legislate another form of murder, ''the right to die in dignity'' as it is euphemistically called here. It became OK to kill unborn babies 50 years ago, terminally ill people are next, useless old people soon, unproductive citizens after them.

When do you think your turn is coming?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Nope...I don't like ''mercy killing'' ... we've been killing our unborn for several decades so far. Most people are fine with the idea, and will even defend it vociferously. Now, there is a growing movement to legislate another form of murder, ''the right to die in dignity'' as it is euphemistically called here. It became OK to kill unborn babies 50 years ago, terminally ill people are next, useless old people soon, unproductive citizens after them.

When do you think your turn is coming?

FL y:-?
FL, I can understand your uneasiness. You're almost in that "useless old people" category. :mrgreen:

For all you Americans, where has our morality gone, when the liberal Canadian(FL) is more conservative on this issue? :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote: FL, I can understand your uneasiness. You're almost in that "useless old people" category. :mrgreen:

For all you Americans, where has our morality gone, when the liberal Canadian(FL) is more conservative on this issue? :pound:
STOP TELLING EVERYBODY THAT I'M Canadian! I'm gonna lose all credibility!

y**== FL y**==
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +