Why do men have more dominance than women?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
User avatar
Echoside
Valued Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:31 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#91

Post by Echoside » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Just wanted to say that Dom's delivery might be a bit rough, but I wouldn't go so far as to imply the above is what he's advocating.

KimArnold
Newbie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:14 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#92

Post by KimArnold » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:37 am

RickD wrote:Wow Kim, I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry.
Humans are fallible. They are not perfect. I put my faith and trust in God alone now.

I don't need a man to intercede or approach the Lord for me. I am thankful that He will hear me directly and care for me perfectly.
That deserves a double dose of Amen!! :amen: :amen: :clap:
Thank you, Rick. And before anyone reads something I didn't mean into what I said, I am not inferring that Dom is a closet homosexual or that men who feel the need to rule with an iron fist over others are less than manly. I only wanted to say that I've learned from personal experience it is never good to have a human being put in an unquestionable position of authority.

I think when you are called to lead, you lead by example, especially with children. Actions speak so much louder than words. To be the leader/head means you are the first in line for sacrifice. It means you have to love more, work more, give more, be more understanding, more patient, more compassionate, and keep yourself before the Lord in prayer at all times, asking Him to guide you to make the right decisions for your family and to make you a Christlike example to those you are leading. It isn't about dominating and ruling, so much as demonstrating, via your own daily actions, how to live for the Lord.

Its not about being the boss... its about being the example. :ebiggrin:

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9821
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 621 times
Been liked: 632 times

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#93

Post by Kurieuo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 pm

KimArnold wrote:
RickD wrote:Wow Kim, I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry.
Humans are fallible. They are not perfect. I put my faith and trust in God alone now.

I don't need a man to intercede or approach the Lord for me. I am thankful that He will hear me directly and care for me perfectly.
That deserves a double dose of Amen!! :amen: :amen: :clap:
Thank you, Rick. And before anyone reads something I didn't mean into what I said, I am not inferring that Dom is a closet homosexual or that men who feel the need to rule with an iron fist over others are less than manly. I only wanted to say that I've learned from personal experience it is never good to have a human being put in an unquestionable position of authority.

I think when you are called to lead, you lead by example, especially with children. Actions speak so much louder than words. To be the leader/head means you are the first in line for sacrifice. It means you have to love more, work more, give more, be more understanding, more patient, more compassionate, and keep yourself before the Lord in prayer at all times, asking Him to guide you to make the right decisions for your family and to make you a Christlike example to those you are leading. It isn't about dominating and ruling, so much as demonstrating, via your own daily actions, how to live for the Lord.

Its not about being the boss... its about being the example. :ebiggrin:
Heh, a lot of people run businesses the same way. There's two ways to rule: by fear or by love.

User avatar
Butterfly
Established Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#94

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:24 pm

RickD wrote:I believe men are more dominant because

1)men are physically stronger than women,
and
2)men are intellectually superior to women

When my wife gets a superiority complex, I usually just club her over the head, and then drag her, by her hair, back into the cave. Where she should be making me a sammich.
Hello Rick,

Your comments have me confused y:-/ On one hand I know you are joking in a very sexist way about your wife in the conclusion of your post, but on the other hand you are mixing fact and fiction in your two points on why you believe men are more dominant than women.

Men usually are stronger than women, but by no means are they intellectually superior. So what is your point in taking a very painful subject for girls who have been denied education because of men who think they are intellectually inferior, and making a joke of it?

Today is the International Day of the Girl, organized to try and bring awareness to the plight of girls around the world. Just yesterday, a fourteen year old Pakistani girl named Malala, was shot in the head by fanatic Muslim man because she was going to school to get an education, she is clinging to life at this very moment, so comments like yours are not helping matters, even if done in jest.

The Last Word with Lawrence O'donnell.

-
y@};-
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5902
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 133 times

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#95

Post by Byblos » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Butterfly wrote:
RickD wrote:I believe men are more dominant because

1)men are physically stronger than women,
and
2)men are intellectually superior to women

When my wife gets a superiority complex, I usually just club her over the head, and then drag her, by her hair, back into the cave. Where she should be making me a sammich.
Hello Rick,

Your comments have me confused y:-/ On one hand I know you are joking in a very sexist way about your wife in the conclusion of your post, but on the other hand you are mixing fact and fiction in your two points on why you believe men are more dominant than women.

Men usually are stronger than women, but by no means are they intellectually superior. So what is your point in taking a very painful subject for girls who have been denied education because of men who think they are intellectually inferior, and making a joke of it?

Today is the International Day of the Girl, organized to try and bring awareness to the plight of girls around the world. Just yesterday, a fourteen year old Pakistani girl named Malala, was shot in the head by fanatic Muslim man because she was going to school to get an education, she is clinging to life at this very moment, so comments like yours are not helping matters, even if done in jest.

The Last Word with Lawrence O'donnell.

-
y@};-
It was a joke Butterfly. I know sexism is an important topic to you but you really need to lighten up. :D
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#96

Post by Ivellious » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:55 pm

I agree with Byblos on this one, Butterfly. Lots of the members of this forum joke about topics like this. Rick wasn't seriously expressing his opinion there at all. This is a big topic, but try to keep a level head with it all.

User avatar
Butterfly
Established Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#97

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Byblos wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
RickD wrote:I believe men are more dominant because

1)men are physically stronger than women,
and
2)men are intellectually superior to women

When my wife gets a superiority complex, I usually just club her over the head, and then drag her, by her hair, back into the cave. Where she should be making me a sammich.
Hello Rick,

Your comments have me confused y:-/ On one hand I know you are joking in a very sexist way about your wife in the conclusion of your post, but on the other hand you are mixing fact and fiction in your two points on why you believe men are more dominant than women.

Men usually are stronger than women, but by no means are they intellectually superior. So what is your point in taking a very painful subject for girls who have been denied education because of men who think they are intellectually inferior, and making a joke of it?

Today is the International Day of the Girl, organized to try and bring awareness to the plight of girls around the world. Just yesterday, a fourteen year old Pakistani girl named Malala, was shot in the head by fanatic Muslim man because she was going to school to get an education, she is clinging to life at this very moment, so comments like yours are not helping matters, even if done in jest.

The Last Word with Lawrence O'donnell.

-
y@};-
It was a joke Butterfly. I know sexism is an important topic to you but you really need to lighten up. :D
I know it was a joke, but at the expensive of who? Why are men joking about a very sensitive subject that has caused women untold suffering?
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...

User avatar
Butterfly
Established Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#98

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Ivellious wrote:I agree with Byblos on this one, Butterfly. Lots of the members of this forum joke about topics like this. Rick wasn't seriously expressing his opinion there at all. This is a big topic, but try to keep a level head with it all.
I am all for lightening things up, but this was done in very poor taste, at the expense of women who even at this modern point in time have to deal with men who still think women are intellectually inferior...and suffer in all areas of life for it.
-
y@};-
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20457
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 1013 times

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#99

Post by RickD » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Your comments have me confused On one hand I know you are joking in a very sexist way about your wife in the conclusion of your post, but on the other hand you are mixing fact and fiction in your two points on why you believe men are more dominant than women.
Rose, it was a joke. It was not meant to be two points about why I believe men are more dominant than women. The op mentioned the physical, and mental aspects, so I made it into a JOKE!
I know it was a joke, but at the expensive of who? Why are men joking about a very sensitive subject that has caused women untold suffering?
I am all for lightening things up, but this was done in very poor taste, at the expense of women who even at this modern point in time have to deal with men who still think women are intellectually inferior...and suffer in all areas of life for it.
Good grief! Who unlocked the door to the kitchen? This is exactly why men shouldn't have given women the right to vote! Give them an inch, and they take a mile.
Btw, why do women have small feet?

So they can stand closer to the stove! :mrgreen:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Butterfly
Established Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#100

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 pm

RickD wrote:
Your comments have me confused On one hand I know you are joking in a very sexist way about your wife in the conclusion of your post, but on the other hand you are mixing fact and fiction in your two points on why you believe men are more dominant than women.
Rose, it was a joke. It was not meant to be two points about why I believe men are more dominant than women. The op mentioned the physical, and mental aspects, so I made it into a JOKE!
I know it was a joke, but at the expensive of who? Why are men joking about a very sensitive subject that has caused women untold suffering?
I am all for lightening things up, but this was done in very poor taste, at the expense of women who even at this modern point in time have to deal with men who still think women are intellectually inferior...and suffer in all areas of life for it.
Good grief! Who unlocked the door to the kitchen? This is exactly why men shouldn't have given women the right to vote! Give them an inch, and they take a mile.
Btw, why do women have small feet?

So they can stand closer to the stove! :mrgreen:
I know you intended it as a joke, but many men actually believe they are intellectually superior to women...that's why I said it was in poor taste.

Why are all your jokes directed at women?
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20457
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 1013 times

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#101

Post by RickD » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:40 pm

I know you intended it as a joke, but many men actually believe they are intellectually superior to women...that's why I said it was in poor taste.
Rose, I'm not "many men". I don't believe men are Intellectually superior to women. I know men are.(also a joke) ;) (My smilie winked at you. Please don't read into that too)
Why are all your jokes directed at women?
Really? My jokes go with the thread they're in. My jokes refer to all different people. I even use self deprecating humor, too.

Rose, if you check out the humor and jokes section, you'll see that I have a pretty diverse range for my jokes.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Butterfly
Established Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#102

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:05 pm

RickD wrote:
I know you intended it as a joke, but many men actually believe they are intellectually superior to women...that's why I said it was in poor taste.
Rose, I'm not "many men". I don't believe men are Intellectually superior to women. I know men are.(also a joke) ;) (My smilie winked at you. Please don't read into that too)
Why are all your jokes directed at women?
Really? My jokes go with the thread they're in. My jokes refer to all different people. I even use self deprecating humor, too.

Rose, if you check out the humor and jokes section, you'll see that I have a pretty diverse range for my jokes.
Okay, I believe you...it just struck me as being in very poor taste considering the topic of this thread.

All is forgiven y>:D<
-
y@};-
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8715
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 322 times

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#103

Post by PaulSacramento » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:11 am

The issue of dominance is an interesting one.
Some would argue that dominance must be given by one party to another.
Of course we can never discount the "might is right" issue.
Historically men have been more dominate because of the "might is right" thing, men are physically equipped to dominate, they are the bigger, stronger and more aggressive member of the species and in the animal world, that tends to equal dominance.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20457
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 1013 times

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#104

Post by RickD » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 am

Butterfly wrote:
RickD wrote:
I know you intended it as a joke, but many men actually believe they are intellectually superior to women...that's why I said it was in poor taste.
Rose, I'm not "many men". I don't believe men are Intellectually superior to women. I know men are.(also a joke) ;) (My smilie winked at you. Please don't read into that too)
Why are all your jokes directed at women?
Really? My jokes go with the thread they're in. My jokes refer to all different people. I even use self deprecating humor, too.

Rose, if you check out the humor and jokes section, you'll see that I have a pretty diverse range for my jokes.
Okay, I believe you...it just struck me as being in very poor taste considering the topic of this thread.

All is forgiven y>:D<
-
y@};-
Rose, have you even thought that my joke struck you as being in poor taste because you are overly sensitive towards this? And, not because it actually was in poor taste?

When you said, "All is forgiven", what exactly are you forgiving me for?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Butterfly
Established Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why do men have more dominance than women?

#105

Post by Butterfly » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:57 am

RickD wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
RickD wrote:
I know you intended it as a joke, but many men actually believe they are intellectually superior to women...that's why I said it was in poor taste.
Rose, I'm not "many men". I don't believe men are Intellectually superior to women. I know men are.(also a joke) ;) (My smilie winked at you. Please don't read into that too)
Why are all your jokes directed at women?
Really? My jokes go with the thread they're in. My jokes refer to all different people. I even use self deprecating humor, too.

Rose, if you check out the humor and jokes section, you'll see that I have a pretty diverse range for my jokes.
Okay, I believe you...it just struck me as being in very poor taste considering the topic of this thread.

All is forgiven y>:D<
-
y@};-
Rose, have you even thought that my joke struck you as being in poor taste because you are overly sensitive towards this? And, not because it actually was in poor taste?

When you said, "All is forgiven", what exactly are you forgiving me for?
I'm surprised I have to keep repeating why I thought your jokes were in poor taste, but here it goes again. As I pointed out in my first post to you, your #1 reason was actually not a joke because generally men are physically stronger and more aggressive than women, thus that is one of the reasons they dominate women. Now, your #2 reason was totally fallacious, because men are NOT intellectually superior to woman though many men believe they are, which is one of the reasons men deny women equal opportunities. What your joking did was mix truth with fiction concerning a very sensitive subject for many women because of the abuse they suffer at the hands of men, as I pointed out in the article and video I linked to. Joking has its place, but this time it seems like it was being used to detract from a very serious issue.

My "All is forgiven" statement was said in a lighthearted "joking" way which I thought was your style? y:-/ Who's being overly sensitive now? :mrgreen:
-
y@};-
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...

Post Reply