Do you approach another Christian when they are straying ?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Do you approach another Christian when they are straying ?

Post by CallMeDave »

Do you as a Christian approach others (in a spirit of love and concern) that claim to be Christian when you see something glaringly wrong in their behavior, language, or actions ? Why or why not ?
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Do you approach another Christian when they are straying

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Yes I have on many occasions, sometimes they listen, sometimes they do not.
But I would expect the same from them if I were the one doing something wrong.
I think it is very important to correct each other, but always do it with the love and compassion of Christ.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

Yes we most definitely should

Jude 23 NIV

Matthew 7:1-5 NIV

Galatians 6:1 NIV (this verse really is almost a direct answer to your question)

We should however, lead them away from their sin, as Jesus did, not judge them and condemn them as hypocrites do.

And if somebody asks you if you believe what they are doing is wrong, remember Proverbs 24:26 NIV
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

In a Bible Study at a former Church , we discussed this...and sadly, nearly everyone thought we should not and let the Holy Spirit convict the person instead of approaching the person. Scripture says otherwise. Im afraid that the twisted tolerance philosophy of our world has crept into our Churches to where people are simply apathetic toward worldliness in their midst. Im especially appauled at the level of foul language that is all too frequent with people who claim they are Followers of Christ. We should be 'our brothers keeper' and expect Others to gently correct us when we do wrong as well.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Tina »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Yes I have on many occasions, sometimes they listen, sometimes they do not.
I think it is very important to correct each other, but always do it with the love and compassion of Christ.

Dan
I have to admit, in a convo with a different Christian ( Dan, I think you know the one I posted ) it started out with me gently correcting......and then it seemed like they were getting hateful and I ended up responding in anger. It can be hard to do the right thing all the time
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Tina wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Yes I have on many occasions, sometimes they listen, sometimes they do not.

Dan
I have to admit, in a convo with a different Christian ( Dan, I think you know the one I posted ) it started out with me gently correcting......and then it seemed like they were getting hateful and I ended up responding in anger. It can be hard to do the right thing all the time

Very true, the people I have spoken to I knew very well so there was not much of a bad reaction because they have to see me every week haha.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Murray wrote:Yes we most definitely should

Jude 23 NIV

Matthew 7:1-5 NIV

Galatians 6:1 NIV (this verse really is almost a direct answer to your question)

We should however, lead them away from their sin, as Jesus did, not judge them and condemn them as hypocrites do.

And if somebody asks you if you believe what they are doing is wrong, remember Proverbs 24:26 NIV
I have opposite experience. Especially when I was an agnostic. Now being a (very young and unexperienced) Christian, still some people are avoiding me, even people who claim to be my friends. :esad:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

What do you mean by "the opposite experience?" Are you saying you had negative experiences with Christians approaching you when you were agnostic, or negative reactions from non-Christians as you try to convert them?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Ivellious wrote:What do you mean by "the opposite experience?" Are you saying you had negative experiences with Christians approaching you when you were agnostic, or negative reactions from non-Christians as you try to convert them?
Ok, I'll tell the story. There came a group of missionaries to my country, my town. They established an institute (or rather teehouse at the beginning) where people could meet and talk. It's another story how I got in but I started to visit that place. Well, to shorten the story,straight to the point. I was avoided by lot of people, they just stared at me. (Were frightened ?) There were exceptions though. (One great exception is the founder, the big guru, haha, great pastor, who is my very good friend now.) (Now I go to the hairdresser.)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart