Killing for human organs

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Bill McEnaney
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Killing for human organs

Post by Bill McEnaney »

Hi Everybody,

In the discussion about donating bodies to science, I explained why I believe that it's immoral to harvest vital organs from living. So here's an article about a similar topic (http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/10/the-k ... s-pushers/).

Bill
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Killing for human organs

Post by Ivellious »

I still think he's making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. If a body is brain dead and completely disabled (a vegetable, for all intensive purposes), the articles he lists claim that it is not immoral or wrong to remove life support (thereby ending the life of the cells in the body) and using the organs for medical procedures. How is that "wrong?" It can be only if you define "living" as "having living cells." In which case, most people would have to be considered alive until hours after their heart stops beating. I still maintain that if your brain is no longer functional, you are no longer a living human being, but rather a corpse that our technology helps to beat your heart for you.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Ivellious wrote:I still think he's making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. If a body is brain dead and completely disabled (a vegetable, for all intensive purposes), the articles he lists claim that it is not immoral or wrong to remove life support (thereby ending the life of the cells in the body) and using the organs for medical procedures. How is that "wrong?" It can be only if you define "living" as "having living cells." In which case, most people would have to be considered alive until hours after their heart stops beating. I still maintain that if your brain is no longer functional, you are no longer a living human being, but rather a corpse that our technology helps to beat your heart for you.
:amen:

Well it looks like we have something we agree on Ivellious. y>:D<
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

most people would have to be considered alive until hours after their heart stops beating.
Good point, it could even be days as hair and nails continue to grow after death.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

How is that "wrong?" It can be only if you define "living" as "having living cells."
I would only be a little carefull here, an embryo may only be living cells but has the potential to live beyond that stage where as the deceased body no longer contains life and would cease to function once a machine was turned off.

Dan
wrain62
Valued Member

Post by wrain62 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
How is that "wrong?" It can be only if you define "living" as "having living cells."
I would only be a little carefull here, an embryo may only be living cells but has the potential to live beyond that stage where as the deceased body no longer contains life and would cease to function once a machine was turned off.

Dan

Yeah if a person is capable of recovery from being brain dead than it would be immoral to kill them.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

wrain62 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Dan

Yeah if a person is capable of recovery from being brain dead than it would be immoral to kill them.

I agree, there has to be 0% chance of recovery.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

wrain62 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Dan

Would it also be immoral to turn off life support if there is a slight chance of recovery?

Dan
jestes
Familiar Member

Post by jestes »

While I didn't read the article, I do have a little comment I'd like to add.

I have come to believe that the girl I've been dating is the one who God made for me. That's another story though. ;-) However, when she was a child she was the recipient of a liver transplant. Without that transplant, she would have been dead a long time ago. Her donor was a 60 something year old woman who died of an aneurysm in her brain. Before I met her I was apathetic to the idea of organ donation. I wasn't opposed to it, I just didn't care either way. Now I have signed up as an organ donor. If Christ gave his body for me while he was still using it, it doesn't seem like much to give my body for someone else after I'm done with it. I don't think it's immoral at all to harvest organs from someone who's brain has ceased to function, yet their body remains "alive" due to machines.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

jestes wrote:While I didn't read the article, I do have a little comment I'd like to add.

I have come to believe that the girl I've been dating is the one who God made for me. That's another story though. ;-) However, when she was a child she was the recipient of a liver transplant. Without that transplant, she would have been dead a long time ago. Her donor was a 60 something year old woman who died of an aneurysm in her brain. Before I met her I was apathetic to the idea of organ donation. I wasn't opposed to it, I just didn't care either way. Now I have signed up as an organ donor. If Christ gave his body for me while he was still using it, it doesn't seem like much to give my body for someone else after I'm done with it. I don't think it's immoral at all to harvest organs from someone who's brain has ceased to function, yet their body remains "alive" due to machines.
:amen: