Hitching a conflicted ride.................

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Hitching a conflicted ride.................

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hi Guys

Every week at least once or twice I drive past this poor bloke who is trying to hitch a ride home, in my country it is not illegal to hitch-hike but it is illegal to pick up a hitch-hiker( go figure ). We are currently in summer and we have had temps ranging into the high 30's and low 40's ( Celsius ) and this poor man is standing out there in the blazing heat.
I do understand that I would be taking a risk legally and personal safety might be an issue as well also he is standing at a bus stop and he could catch that once it arrives or maybe he can't afford it, I don't know but as a Christian I feel obligated to help this man get home.

I guess I am conflicted because I do not want to break the law but I feel that it would be the right and moral thing to do to help my neighbour, what do you guys think and would you do it?

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: Hitching a conflicted ride.................

Post by neo-x »

Just stop by him, ask him if he needs money to buy a ticket for the bus to go home rather than Hitchhike and if so, give him the money. That's what I would do.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
wrain62
Valued Member

Post by wrain62 »

There ain't supposed to be laws against anything that stop the fruit of the spirit.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Thanks guys.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Offering a bit of money for a bus is probably the best (and safest) option. The law against picking up a hitchhiker is ultimately to protect motorists from potentially dangerous situations (I believe it was called "stranger danger" in my youth...). It's sad in some circumstances, but it's possible to help in other ways.