Sex Ed

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Vespetta
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Sex Ed

Post by Vespetta »

Ivellious wrote:I was wondering, what are your views on sex education in high school? Different states in the US handle this issue completely differently, with the south typically taking an "abstinence only" approach where sex is not discussed or explained, but rather students are told not to have sex, period. Northern, more liberal states tend to give students a sexual education including information on birth control, STDs, and (sometimes) abortion.

I personally find the comprehensive sex ed far more valuable than abstinence only.

So, what do you think? Does Christianity have any impact on how sex ed should be handled in schools?

I live in the heart of the bible belt, and here we got the full ride. Birth control, STDs, abstinence, etc. If it were anything thing, I'd say it'd be the poverty that accounts for the many teen pregnacies. This place got hit hard when the textile industry went overseas.
"We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism."

-- Richard Lewontin
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I work with inner city youth in the Bible Belt. Teen pregnancy is epidemic. Providing BC is pointless. Many if not most of these pregnancies are intentional. Out of wed lock teen pregnancy has virtually no stigma and is even a badge of honor in some circles.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

Vespetta wrote:
Ivellious wrote:I was wondering, what are your views on sex education in high school? Different states in the US handle this issue completely differently, with the south typically taking an "abstinence only" approach where sex is not discussed or explained, but rather students are told not to have sex, period. Northern, more liberal states tend to give students a sexual education including information on birth control, STDs, and (sometimes) abortion.

I personally find the comprehensive sex ed far more valuable than abstinence only.

So, what do you think? Does Christianity have any impact on how sex ed should be handled in schools?

I live in the heart of the bible belt, and here we got the full ride. Birth control, STDs, abstinence, etc. If it were anything thing, I'd say it'd be the poverty that accounts for the many teen pregnacies. This place got hit hard when the textile industry went overseas.
Poverty (financial hardship) isnt the catalyst for desired sexual immorality ; sexual immorality leading to teen pregnancies stem from the fragmentation of families / poor Parenting / the brutal crusade of our Mass Media relentlessly brainwashing our children with sexually illicit messages / and Parents with their children having no desire for God and his protective moral mandates to live by.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.